Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner Ridley scored us permission to hunt this old property built in 1925. Is is vacant, up for sale (only $1.5mil if interested), and soon to be gone. Due to the tall grass and weeds, we were pretty limited to search areas.
We weren't there more than a few minutes and Ridley digs up a wheat in front of the house. I thought to myself, "I'm going to get my butt kicked once again by Ridley and his DFX". :'( Of course I smiled and congratulated him, but I really wanted to say, "you #@&+@%?". (That's Chinese for "great job") ;D
If you recall, Ridley has kicked my butt the last two hunts with his Barber finds. He left me all of the aluminum though. ::)
I headed out back to search and spooked up a doe, a fawn, and also a fox in the back field area. Every kind of animal except a Buffalo back there. After getting tired of using my Tesoro as a weedwhacker, I headed back to the front of the house. By this time Ridley had moved on. As I searched around the bottom of the front steps, I realized all the leaves were covering up some concrete pavers.
Since desperate times call for desperate measures, I started pulling up the pavers one by one and detecting where they were. BINGO! I dug up a 1935 Buffalo nickel. ;D I wasn't sure if I should do the fist pumping chicken dance like KirkPA, or just blow out the back of my jeans like Outraged did. ??? I decided to keep quit until I finished searching all the pavers. Unfortunately, that was the only oldie under there. :'(
Folks, I know it isn't a spectacular find, but anytime I can outdo the Riddler in a hunt, I'll take it.
I also found a 1965 dime (missed silver by 1 year :'( ).
I would now like to spend the next few days gloating, before Ridley and I head back out to the site he found his Barber quarter last week.
Sorry for the long-winded story, but this was a historic event for me and the Mighty Tesoro.
Have a great week,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 632
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 629
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 635
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 622
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 621
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 622
Upvote 0
R

RUDY2003

Nice buff MM! But wheres' the big silver?
It's pretty tough sometimes right.

Keep diggin'...

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
Great pics MM... Too bad the grass is so high... Good thinkin about moving those pavers...

HH Robert

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Good find, MM! I think the habby gibbons dance was more warranted in this situation. Just picture how a gibbon walks and then squeals...add that to human function, coupled with some mocking gestures. :D :D

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkPA said:
Good find, MM! I think the habby gibbons dance was more warranted in this situation. Just picture how a gibbon walks and then squeals...add that to human function, coupled with some mocking gestures. :D :D

Thanks Kirk. I'll have to try that. I hope no one sees me and calls 911. ;D
-MM-

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
ModernMiner said:
KirkPA said:

Thanks Kirk. I'll have to try that. I hope no one sees me and calls 911. ;D
-MM-

Believe me, they will just think, "That dude looks like a gibbon!" hehehe They may think you are rabid, but that is the entire reason for the gibbon antic. It truly involves some practice....:D.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
I was very proud of MM for finding that Buffalo! This location had traces of other detectorists from long ago. (big holes). On top of that, almost all the top soil had been scraped away. You could tell because in a few small spots (around trees), there was deep black loam. All that was left was rocky clay.
This little adventure was a success though. This is the first time I've been able to get permission from a property broker (over the phone).

Anyway. It was very close to home and I only found one tick on my body (so far). :D

Here's the stuff I found. Congratulations, MM on finding that Buffalo Nickel with your crafty maneuver!
tinygun.jpg

Cheers!

Ridley

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Nice Nickel. Not too bad a shape. :)

Would it be worth mowing the grass?

Congratulations on outdoing that Ridley dog. ;D I know how you feel. Before I got my Explorer Nate with his DFX was almost always coming home with more silver and good finds. I occasionally used my age gained wisdom to out do him but he was consistently outdoing me. Now with the Explorer he only occasionally whips me. It's pretty even now although I rarely beat him on clad totals.

Bob

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ridley said:
Here's the stuff I found. Congratulations, MM on finding that Buffalo Nickel with your crafty maneuver!

Cheers!
Ridley

Dave,
What year were your wheats?
Any writing on that toy gun?
No ticks for me this time, I've been spraying my boots and pants with bug spray.
Thanks again for inviting me to this new spot,
MM

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
I lost one of the wheat pennies and the other one has no date. :D

My 4 year old daughter found the gun and had hidden it under her pillow for some reason. (no writing on it).

I think the best part of this hunt is that when I drive by that place and the house is replaced by a Quickie Mart. Ill have the satisfaction of knowing you got that Nickel out! :D

Ridley

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ridley said:
I lost one of the wheat pennies and the other one has no date. :D

My 4 year old daughter found the gun and had hidden it under her pillow for some reason. (no writing on it).

I think the best part of this hunt is that when I drive by that place and the house is replaced by a Quickie Mart. Ill have the satisfaction of knowing you got that Nickel out! :D

Ridley

"Thank you, come again." ;D
-MM-

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good going.......it really is where it's at......."think like a coin"

HH

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Good hunt and it paid off.

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
Way to use your head MM.....But i must say...There is nothing better on a blazing hot day than a trap door on your back side. It helps the swamp dry out.... :o I am almost sorry i posted that pic now. I am quite sure it is on many a computer background as I type. Not to mention the....Well i dont even want to think about that...... :'( ;D

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outraged said:
Way to use your head MM.....But i must say...There is nothing better on a blazing hot day than a trap door on your back side. It helps the swamp dry out.... :o I am almost sorry i posted that pic now. I am quite sure it is on many a computer background as I type. Not to mention the....Well i dont even want to think about that...... :'( ;D

I'll have to try that. Maybe a velcro flap? ???
I think I saw your jean blowout on You Tube already. ;D
Classic.
Have a great week. Hopefully it cools down by the weekend.
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread