EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the second picture is showing the nose of the projectile, then I would hazard a guess that it's a; "Wad-Cutter". Commonly used in target practice when paper targets are used as it tends to leave a clean hole. I guess you would have to do a little research to find out when they were first manufactured.

Eagle

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Presumably .38 caliber.

Semi-Wadcutter bullet for .38 Special, historically primarily a revolver round. Currently made and dating back to just after 1900.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
Presumably .38 caliber.

Semi-Wadcutter bullet for .38 Special, historically primarily a revolver round. Currently made and dating back to just after 1900.
Thanks DTP!!
As a Law Enforcement Officer, I popped hundreds of them, I wasn't concerned about the history. So now, I know something new. Sorry, I forgot about the cal. During my 12+ year stint, we were only issued the Smith & Wesson .38 special. I always loaded mine with "Super Vels" for the extra power.

Eagle

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EagleDown said:
DigginThePast said:
Presumably .38 caliber.

Thanks DTP!!
As a Law Enforcement Officer, I popped hundreds of them, I wasn't concerned about the history. So now, I know something new. Sorry, I forgot about the cal. During my 12+ year stint, we were only issued the Smith & Wesson .38 special. I always loaded mine with "Super Vels" for the extra power.

Eagle

Super Vels, there is a name you don't hear everyday. Hmm.....you must of been on the force in the 70's. That was the hot round back then. :icon_thumright:

firedigger said:
Thank you, you have confirmed my guess as well. keep digging.

:thumbsup: Yeah, probably someone taking shots at a bottle or something along the river bank. Just hope it wasn't from back in the Capone days and you're passing over a big gangster cache. ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread