Kendel

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Just borrow a pick and shovel and dig till you find it. And let us know what you find please. You can measure it afterwards.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No metal detector is going to work there. A factory? The concrete is most likely filled with rebar. Your only chance is to use ground penetrating radar, but you are talking tens of thousands of dollars.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Remember Kendel said they knew a cache was buried in a room in a metal factory. The buryers only wanted to hide
it from prying eyes so it shouldn't be very deep, after all they wanted to retrieve it someday. Kendel thinks they just
buried it and forgot it. So if he is convinced it's still buried why spend money on special equiptment when all they need
is pick and shovel and maybe a steel probe to poke around with until they hit metal, assuming the money is in a metal
cash box.
I suggest, if they have access and won't be breaking the law, a late evening or night search when honest folks are retired
for the night.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was that easy, would he/she be here asking advice?

I don't know how you bury something in the room of factory without some serious equipment (assuming it's in the floor).

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Jason, he didn't say the room had a concrete floor did he? The story wouldn't make sense if it was. Why complicate things?

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
All we can do is wait for Kendel to give more details. A one hundred year old metal factory with a room with a cache buried
in it. Is it a dirt floor? Is it a metal floor? Is it a concrete floor? Is it a wood floor? Who knows without more facts.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi everyone,
need help and advice please,
We know of a buried cache in a room in a place which used to be a metal factory hundred years ago.Burrying was the safest storage then.
would appreciat advice on a detector to use to measure the depth and if any to show the volume of the cache
thanks,
Monty

Would you consider sweeping floor (dust mask if its not clean maybe) and checking for a plate or cover or patch? Perhaps a little practice before you go with a black lite. Care ful of buildings soundness!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, he didn't say the room had a concrete floor did he? The story wouldn't make sense if it was. Why complicate things?

Have you ever been in a factory that didn't have concrete floors? Not "complicating" things, just being a realist.

GringoStarr

Aug 15, 2009
La Florida
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220, Spartan 175, Metrotech 330, Garrett CXiii With Bloodhound Attachment. Garrett Hand Scanner, and others.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, you should know I have seen an abandoned factroy with a wood block floor. The wooden blocks were held together with beeswax. Apparently this was a very durable material. Look here: Wood Block Flooring by Kaswell Flooring Systems If this is the case, it would pose little difficulty to scan with a detector.
Regards,
the Gringo.

OP
OP
K

Kendel

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
high guys,
thank you all for yr replies,
Am making myself understood here ; the room has a concrete floor which it didn't have in 1800s. In 1950 my father bought the place with the flat above and made it into one house putting concrete and tiles, to his knowledge that ground floor used to be a merchandise storage some decades back but only came to know about the metal work place it was in its early past. So please help me sort out the puzzle ; i need to know which appropriate detector to pinpoint the spot without having to go about the whole room which is quite big nd of course not alerting the curious . Much obliged

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
So we are talking about a house, not a factory? Concrete poured in 1950? Depending on who poured it, it could be wire mesh or
rebar. Any metal detector will respond to the metal and mask the object below. I hope this answers your question. Are you really
sure there is treasure underneath the concrete? You can rent a jackhammer if you want to explore but the noise will be deafening.
Thanks for responding.

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the cache is buried beneath concrete then as others have stated the re-bar/mesh embedded within will mask what is hidden below. You have two options readily available to the small-scale operator. You can bust through from above (grueling labor) or you can tunnel up from below (grueling labor)...best to make sure your research is sound before you proceed.

An additional option that combines both approaches above is to bust a small access hole in the concrete and then tunnel about, staying away from the foundation edges and being safe so as not to undermine too much and get buried alive. If you choose this approach then fill your pockets with plenty of valuables for the next treasure hunter just in case.

enjoy the hunt,
cc

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Since the building was already there when the concrete was poured I would surmise that there is no metal reinforcement and only about 3" of concrete. It is not going to get heavy use. If it is paper money in a wooden box, you are skunked. If it is in coinage, any good detector will pick it up because it is probably not deep. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 755

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
If there was no reinforcement that 3'' would be cracked so bad you could just pick up hunks and look under. Cold and heat
shrinks and expands all concrete, the exception being homes built on slabs. Yours is probably pier and beam so the concreted
room would be exposed to freezing and thawing.

But if you have a metal detector or can borrow one tune it in all metal and scan. If it gives a continuous sound it is detecting the
reinforcement metal within the concrete. The larger coils will go deeper. I have several older units that would detect a metal cash
box underneath. I'm sure the Minelab Explorer or the Fischer models would do the job you want.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread