Civil War items (Pistol!)from the last couple of weeks (PICS ADDED!!!!)

morgan70

Oct 22, 2005
N.Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70
I've been meaning to post these sooner, but due to computer difficulties decided to wait.
Canewrap will post the pics for me hopefully today.

We've been hunting an area in North Alabama in search of a large camp. I think that we have found a couple of schirmish sites, but so far we haven't found the main camp.
These finds represent probably about 10 hours of hunting and most were found in an area about 50' x 250'.
Here's the count so far:
approximately 60 bullets of mixed variety including an awful lot of pistol balls
1 .58 cal. bavarian
1 .58 cal baby belgian bullet ($$$$)
2 spencer cartridges
1 carbine sling tip
1 complete spencer cartridge with a hole on both sides of the rim. This actually had a rotted piece of leather through it when I found it. Must have been a necklace.
2 flat buttons
1 carved bullet. Looks like someone may have tried to make some dice at one time
2 pocket knives

Oh, I also found a .31 cal 1849 colt pocket revolver!!! You probably can't tell from the pics that will be posted, but you can still see the slots on every screw and it is complete right down to the front sight. Even has about 20% of the wood remaining. I plan on ordering a complete history of it from Colt as the S/N is still very visible.
A lot of this area is unhuntable now due to the thick growth. I cant wait for fall!!!!!
We are so grateful for this site. The landowners have given us exclusive and totally unrestricted permission to search the 220 acres. We even have a backhoe available to us if we need it!
Hopefully, my buddy Canewrap will post the pics today.

Upvote 0

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
that is some spot you got. that pistol is awesome can't wait to here what colt comes back with on s/n congrats and hh

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
morgan70 said:
Lots of boring swinging followed by moments of bliss!!

Morgan,
Sounds like my love life. ;D
Sorry, I couldn't help it. ::)
-MM-

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Def. post the revolver on best finds. with the pic of it in your hand I'd say it gualifies. Very cool

R

RUDY2003

Unbeliveably Awesome. WOW....
Thats the best dug pistol from the CW that I've ever seen....
Fantastic. You should be proud.....

Keep diggin'...

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That Colt is the best relic that I have seen dug! Congrats and pound that site hard. Need any help??? Just kidding. Let us know how the research goes and post more pics!
HH!
Mike

OP
OP
morgan70

morgan70

Oct 22, 2005
N.Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70
Thanks again everyone! This fall we intend to really hammer on it HARD!!
I hate to do it, but I am returning to Med school after 15 yrs., so I am offering the revolver for sale. I have it posted in the for sale section if anybody's interested. I kind of hope no one is! LOL!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's what I'm talking about Morgan....Beautiful Dig's!!!!You can't get enough of the CW relic's....But sadly they're getting harder and harder to find.Congrat's on an awesome find!!!

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
that stuff is so cool, makes me want to start swing now at 10 pm. Maybe one day I find that kinda thing. Thanks for sharing it keeps us amatuers encouraged

steve m

Jan 3, 2007
Portland, OR.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites XL Pro, Compass x80, Garrett 1350
Very nice finds! Love the pistol!
Hope you find more!
Steve///

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread