🥇 BANNER Clay Pot with Coins Inside!!!!!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back to my pals old property and found had a signal close to this pot.
I had previously picked up lots of surface bottle finds so moved this out of the way to use the pinpointer - but the signal had gone ???

Looked inside and saw what turned out to be coins!!!!:thumbsup:

Will try to clean these up a bit, the soil was packed quite hard inside.

Picture below show the pot (outside and inside) and the coins as found!:thumbsup:

middle ridge etc 017.JPG middle ridge etc 018.JPG middle ridge etc 019.JPG clay coins 003.JPG clay coins 004.JPG clay coins 006.JPG clay coins 002.JPG clay coins 012.JPG clay coins 009.JPG clay coins 008.JPG clay coins 007.JPG clay coins 015.JPG clay coins 019.JPG clay coins 018.JPG

Upvote 66

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• Sad Iron.JPG
    Sad Iron.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your find, loved the story and your pics!:occasion14:
Here, I'll throw in my 'Sad Iron' too if it helps ... found this a few years ago! :laughing7:

Dave

better condition than mine!!:laughing7: I'll swop an clay pot I just found for it......:laughing7:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story, great save, between you and Vino, I'm starting to get a complex about my luck. I'm very jealous and yet so happy for both you guys and others (ACE) that have found so many cool and wonderful finds in the past year or so. I have one regret in life now that I never had a year and a few months ago. I regret not buying a metal detector back in 1970!
There is a list of guys and gals finds I have seen, I know I'm leaving out allot of hunters I'm jealous of also, just off the top of my morning head (one cup only of coffee, need my other cup)

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story, great save, between you and Vino, I'm starting to get a complex about my luck. I'm very jealous and yet so happy for both you guys and others (ACE) that have found so many cool and wonderful finds in the past year or so. I have one regret in life now that I never had a year and a few months ago. I regret not buying a metal detector back in 1970!
There is a list of guys and gals finds I have seen, I know I'm leaving out allot of hunters I'm jealous of also, just off the top of my morning head (one cup only of coffee, need my other cup)

I feel your pain.... and agree 100%. Got to get my second cup now... later, Brad

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Banner! Can't wait to see your next post when You're heading back to that place.... I bet there are more, way to big of a pot for these coins! :icon_thumleft:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find! Way to go on finding them, and for making the banner. :thumbsup:

:)
Breezie

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
better condition than mine!!:laughing7: I'll swop an clay pot I just found for it......:laughing7:

I'd swop pottery shards for square nails and pull-tabs any day my friend! :thumbsup:
Very cool looking avatar ... do you ever get the opportunity to hunt the old plantation sites, now that would be cool!

Dave

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd swop pottery shards for square nails and pull-tabs any day my friend! :thumbsup:
Very cool looking avatar ... do you ever get the opportunity to hunt the old plantation sites, now that would be cool!

Dave

only the sites I get permission for :thumbsup:

do you recognize the picture?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume that Dinosaur turds down count either unless they are really, really big ones, right??!!:dontknow::sad5:

Frank

Well if you found some post it and we'll see! That would be a cache of something!
I feel your pain. About the only thing I have a cache of is trash....does that count?

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Find. Congratulations.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a question about your coins BVI. From the looks in some of your pics they appear to be heavily encrusted like you would expect to find if they had been long-lost in a salt water environment. But the site pics of the pot look like these were found in loose, loamy soil, and I think you mentioned somewhere the site was on high ground and not near the ocean. If that's the case then how did the coins develop the heavy encrustation shown?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a question about your coins BVI. From the looks in some of your pics they appear to be heavily encrusted like you would expect to find if they had been long-lost in a salt water environment. But the site pics of the pot look like these were found in loose, loamy soil, and I think you mentioned somewhere the site was on high ground and not near the ocean. If that's the case then how did the coins develop the heavy encrustation shown?

I believe that I can answer that question! The area where BVI lives has been hit repeatedly by Hurricanes from well before to well after the coins were stashed and probably buried in the clay pot, all the way up to now when he found the clay pot with the coins inside. It is reasonable to believe with a fair certainty, that some of those Hurricanes were strong enough and had strong enough winds and storm surge to deposit salt water even in the higher terrain where the clay pot was found. In fact, I doubt that you could find any place there where the soil does not contain salt. Therefore if you have salt and other minerals blown or pushed inland and deposited in the soil, that with enough time and normal rains, that things such as coins buried in the soil, will eventually become encrusted.

Frank

Mud Skipper

Jun 12, 2013
Toronto
Detector(s) used
Sea Hunter
Detector Pro
Pulse 8X
Aquapulse 1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes (removed by mod) how is it that the "clay pot" a gin or seltzer clay jug from 1840 - 1950 has a salty bunch of 1700 `coins inside? I also like the whole SAS thing you and your friend keep rambling on about, I didnt think SAS advertised it...I hope your friend with contacts to a UK Uni helps out...and hope you catch that guy or gals snooping after your claims..have another drink will you or mushroom Bomba tea....ha ha cool finds really very cool

Last edited by a moderator:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why only 3 coins ? ??? Giant pot, but 3 coins ? :icon_scratch: I'm betting a larger cache spread out somewhere in the area... :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Why only 3 coins ? ??? Giant pot, but 3 coins ? :icon_scratch: I'm betting a larger cache spread out somewhere in the area... :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

There was actually 5 coins in the pot, all Reale pieces! Like you, I still believe that there were more coins in the pot when it was buried, hidden or whatever.

Frank

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes (removed by mod ) how is it that the "clay pot" a gin or seltzer clay jug from 1840 - 1950 has a salty bunch of 1700 `coins inside? I also like the whole SAS thing you and your friend keep rambling on about, I didnt think SAS advertised it...I hope your friend with contacts to a UK Uni helps out...and hope you catch that guy or gals snooping after your claims..have another drink will you or mushroom Bomba tea....ha ha cool finds really very cool

I can't date the pot / jug in any way - another member suggested a "gin bottle" and a date.
And if you had RTT you would see that I asked the vey same question - how did these coins end up in a pot / bottle?

I offer no explanation. For all,I know they were found by the owner of the land in 1820-ish and stashed in a handy pot?
They could even have been found last year and hidden by someone who never returned????
As for encrustation, the soil cam out like a plug, similar to when you take a plant from a plastic pot, the coins in the picture were encased is soil, muck and whatever else. The "plug" lump,of soil with the other coins in took a whole,day of soaking to break down.
Sorry if I am not a geologist who can explain this stuff??

I for sure don't know,,that's why I never tried to explain it, if you know better, then please tell?

As for the SAS Thing (???) I RTT again and can see no mention??. Please explain??

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes (removed by mod ) how is it that the "clay pot" a gin or seltzer clay jug from 1840 - 1950 has a salty bunch of 1700 `coins inside? I also like the whole SAS thing you and your friend keep rambling on about, I didnt think SAS advertised it...I hope your friend with contacts to a UK Uni helps out...and hope you catch that guy or gals snooping after your claims..have another drink will you or mushroom Bomba tea....ha ha cool finds really very cool
Could some one or multiple people have found them or more in or near the ocean and squirreled them possibly in this recovery's situation in a long, or more recently passed periods dated, discarded or convenient container inland?
How would you know if you found it what occurred , or better, why do you question the find?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread