πŸ₯‡ BANNER Clay Pot with Coins Inside!!!!!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back to my pals old property and found had a signal close to this pot.
I had previously picked up lots of surface bottle finds so moved this out of the way to use the pinpointer - but the signal had gone ???

Looked inside and saw what turned out to be coins!!!!:thumbsup:

Will try to clean these up a bit, the soil was packed quite hard inside.

Picture below show the pot (outside and inside) and the coins as found!:thumbsup:

middle ridge etc 017.JPG middle ridge etc 018.JPG middle ridge etc 019.JPG clay coins 003.JPG clay coins 004.JPG clay coins 006.JPG clay coins 002.JPG clay coins 012.JPG clay coins 009.JPG clay coins 008.JPG clay coins 007.JPG clay coins 015.JPG clay coins 019.JPG clay coins 018.JPG

Upvote 66

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
BVI... I found this Clay Seltzer Bottle online and thought it might help with the identifcation of your' clay pot or bottle. This one dates to between 1806 and 1866 and has a stamp on the outside saying "Herzogthum Nassau" (Duchy of Nassau), a lioncel and the word "Selters" (seltzer water). This Duchy was part of the German Confederation and existed barely 60 years (1806-1866).

Frank

Selters1.jpg Selters2.jpg Selters3.jpg

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BVI... I found this Clay Seltzer Bottle online and thought it might help with the identifcation of your' clay pot or bottle. This one dates to between 1806 and 1866 and has a stamp on the outside saying "Herzogthum Nassau" (Duchy of Nassau), a lioncel and the word "Selters" (seltzer water). This Duchy was part of the German Confederation and existed barely 60 years (1806-1866).

Frank

View attachment 1006036 View attachment 1006037 View attachment 1006038

Frank,

that looks very similar, and also to the ones I found on-line. if so, one thing is fairly certain, the pot must have been at least partially broken for the coins to fit (opening too small?)
The other thing is the dates would match almost exactly - I know a little history of this plot and that would tie in perfectly :thumbsup:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question about your coins BVI. From the looks in some of your pics they appear to be heavily encrusted like you would expect to find if they had been long-lost in a salt water environment. But the site pics of the pot look like these were found in loose, loamy soil, and I think you mentioned somewhere the site was on high ground and not near the ocean. If that's the case then how did the coins develop the heavy encrustation shown?
Let me interject here (does that make me sound smart? lol ) From living so close to the Jersey shore, I know that the very air gets salt in it. From BVI's discrption of being a mile inland, it would very easily get encrusted with salt. I found a Merc in Cape May NJ not long ago, it was a mile from the beach, maybe more. it was four inches down in topsoil that looked no different then any of the places I hunt in South Jersey. It was by far in the worse shape of any of my silvers I found last year.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me interject here (does that make me sound smart? lol ) From living so close to the Jersey shore, I know that the very air gets salt in it. From BVI's discrption of being a mile inland, it would very easily get encrusted with salt. I found a Merc in Cape May NJ not long ago, it was a mile from the beach, maybe more. it was four inches down in topsoil that looked no different then any of the places I hunt in South Jersey. It was by far in the worse shape of any of my silvers I found last year.

Thanks Treble!:thumbsup:

who can really say what causes these types of anomalies! looks like we both got something out of the 'norm'?

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Merc...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Good point treblehunter! Anyone that has lived or spent any time on or near the coasts anywhere in the world, have not only smelled the salt in the air but felt it on their' skin due to Sea Breezes. While these are less prominent in the fall, winter and spring in more Northern latitudes, they occur almost daily where BVI lives and finds treasures. However, while Sea Breezes can account for an almost daily influx of salt in the air flowing and settling on the ground, Hurricanes that have hit there and there have been many of them since they were first recorded, are the biggest contributors.

Frank

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow!!!!! Clean em carefully and post on Spanish Cob Forum. Experts over there can date these for you...

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good point treblehunter! Anyone that has lived or spent any time on or near the coasts anywhere in the world, have not only smelled the salt in the air but felt it on their' skin due to Sea Breezes. While these are less prominent in the fall, winter and spring in more Northern latitudes, they occur almost daily where BVI lives and finds treasures. However, while Sea Breezes can account for an almost daily influx of salt in the air flowing and settling on the ground, Hurricanes that have hit there and there have been many of them since they were first recorded, are the biggest contributors.

Frank

Frank

good theory:thumbsup:

And bizarrely, MudSkipper is local to me, so don't be fooled by the Toronto location and the Maple Leaf??? so he should be aware of the local weather and its effect :dontknow:

I have received dozens of PM's from him and invites for a 'cold beer' to discuss finds and other threads of mine, and perhaps some animosity has crept in as I have not reciprocated - its a shame that a few comments can sour an otherwise exciting thread which I was happy to share :occasion14:

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank

good theory:thumbsup:

And bizarrely, MudSlinger is local to me, so don't be fooled by the Toronto location and the Maple Leaf??? so he should be aware of the local weather and its effect :dontknow:

I have received dozens of PM's from him and invites for a 'cold beer' to discuss finds and other threads of mine, and perhaps some animosity has crept in as I have not reciprocated - its a shame that a few comments can sour an otherwise exciting thread which I was happy to share :occasion14:

I did not know that and thanks! I am sure that there are ulterior motives to some of the comments and questions that some folks post :skullflag: and I don't blame you for keeping some much farther away than arm's length.

Frank

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess the only way to really know why these coins look the way they do is to find more in the area! Like the merc above what would it look like if found 200+ years later? Have other reales dating to this time period ever been found inland and if so did they look salty or shiney?

Centuries + soil composition, who is to say what they "should" look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess the only way to really know why these coins look the way they do is to find more in the area! Like the merc above what would it look like if found 200+ years later? Have other reales dating to this time period ever been found inland and if so did they look salty or shiney?

Centuries + soil composition, who is to say what they "should" look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

very true !:thumbsup:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did not know that and thanks! I am sure that there are ulterior motives to some of the comments and questions that some folks post :skullflag: and I don't blame you for keeping some much farther away than arm's length. Frank

BVI.... I know the problem. Frank sent me dozens of PM's wanting to dig up the old horseshoes behind my home. He kind of "grew" on me so I let him. But I think he found the golden one!!!!! Listen all jokes aside... I agree with him. With your finds you do need to be leery. Now send me the coordinates... Frank lost the ones you sent him and we'll be right down to help. Signed... your Tennessee buddies.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BVI.... I know the problem. Frank sent me dozens of PM's wanting to dig up the old horseshoes behind my home. He kind of "grew" on me so I let him. But I think he found the golden one!!!!! Listen all jokes aside... I agree with him. With your finds you do need to be leery. Now send me the coordinates... Frank lost the ones you sent him and we'll be right down to help. Signed... your Tennessee buddies.

HAPPY DIGGING!!!

36.167038, -86.829183 Latitude longitude Map

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic discovery!

I have some thoughts regarding the coins and apparently far more recent stoneware vessel.

The US Virgin Islands were controlled by Denmark until 1917, and after the abolition of slavery in 1848 the islands were economically depressed. In other Caribbean and south/central american regions, very old silver was circulated and accepted well into the 20th century. The stoneware item does indeed look to be from the 2nd half of the 19th century/early 20th century, which would correspond to the period of post-slavery economic stagnation/depression. I wouldn't be surprised if these coins were actively used as a medium of exchange well over a century after mintage, especially if reliable and trustworthy silver coinage wasn't otherwise available.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic discovery!

I have some thoughts regarding the coins and apparently far more recent stoneware vessel.

The US Virgin Islands were controlled by Denmark until 1917, and after the abolition of slavery in 1848 the islands were economically depressed. In other Caribbean and south/central american regions, very old silver was circulated and accepted well into the 20th century. The stoneware item does indeed look to be from the 2nd half of the 19th century/early 20th century, which would correspond to the period of post-slavery economic stagnation/depression. I wouldn't be surprised if these coins were actively used as a medium of exchange well over a century after mintage, especially if reliable and trustworthy silver coinage wasn't otherwise available.

Good info! Thanks!!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Fantastic discovery!

add to that...who cared to collect these then anyway....silver coinage traded as silver coinage.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many congratulations on a fantastic find!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used