🥇 BANNER Clay Pot with Coins Inside!!!!!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back to my pals old property and found had a signal close to this pot.
I had previously picked up lots of surface bottle finds so moved this out of the way to use the pinpointer - but the signal had gone ???

Looked inside and saw what turned out to be coins!!!!:thumbsup:

Will try to clean these up a bit, the soil was packed quite hard inside.

Picture below show the pot (outside and inside) and the coins as found!:thumbsup:

middle ridge etc 017.JPG middle ridge etc 018.JPG middle ridge etc 019.JPG clay coins 003.JPG clay coins 004.JPG clay coins 006.JPG clay coins 002.JPG clay coins 012.JPG clay coins 009.JPG clay coins 008.JPG clay coins 007.JPG clay coins 015.JPG clay coins 019.JPG clay coins 018.JPG

Upvote 66

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW...been away a couple days and look what happens....Treasurenet is exploding with awesome BANNER finds !!!

That is so exciting for you I bet....be an awesome thrill..bet your heart and brain were going a hundred miles an hour.

Big CONGRATS !!

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm impressed. And I am also waiting [with anticipation] for pictures of the "finished product".

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm impressed. And I am also waiting [with anticipation] for pictures of the "finished product".

Post #84 - that's as good as it gets......:thumbsup:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool thanks for sharing! :occasion14:

Steve

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Brad... BVI is sooo damn lucky and content with his' finds, I believe he gave us the coordinates to a KGC Cache.:dontknow::thumbsup: What do you think? Should we thank him now or wait and see what we find?:dontknow::laughing7: Frank

Well buddy I was kind of excited for a second. Then I clicked on it and my heart sank. I couldn't believe my long lost friend BVI sent me to the "University of Tennessee". Now Fort Knox would of been better BVI (if you had to fib). Frank, that's a good spot we ought to think about. How's your back lately?

BVI.... Any idea when you might get back to where you found these coins and "dig" a little deeper?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BVI.... Any idea when you might get back to where you found these coins and "dig" a little deeper?

Should be back towards the end of this week, decided to get some fishing in first :laughing7:
if there's anything to report it will be next weekend:thumbsup:

Enjoy the University. I suggest you dig after dark.........:tongue3:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should be back towards the end of this week, decided to get some fishing in first :laughing7:

Ass.... and best of luck guy (fishing) :tongue3::laughing7:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well buddy I was kind of excited for a second. Then I clicked on it and my heart sank. I couldn't believe my long lost friend BVI sent me to the "University of Tennessee". Now Fort Knox would of been better BVI (if you had to fib). Frank, that's a good spot we ought to think about. How's your back lately?

Same here Brad! Maybe BVI knows something that we don't. My' back is doing a lot better this year than last year and hopefully up to the task of MD'ing and digging. It's probably worth the trip with all of the cute girly eye candy walking around on campus.:icon_cyclops_ani::icon_biggrin:

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Brad might want to dig after dark seeing as he is married an all. However, being divorced for almost 6 years now, I think I will take my chances during the day. With all of those cute Coeds walking around on campus, who knows, one might be looking for a rich sugar daddy.:icon_biggrin: Just don't tell them I am not loaded (well sometimes when I have Jack Daniels with me) and I probably taste more like vinegar and salt than sugar. It's too bad I am not a Potato Chip!???:laughing7:

Frank

Last edited:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats again on your wonderful five silvers! :hello2: :blob3: :hello2: I'm enjoying this thread a lot.

But please on any thread don't anyone assume that an awkward question or theory posed by a reader indicates a desire to greedily take over or share in a "private" site of great potential --- because some of us ask "odd" questions or post "odd" theories because of our ignorance of a certain area or because, like me, of our love of theorizing about how something ended up where it was found or how it got to be in the condition it is. Just my opinion, but with the big variety of personalities & life experience on t-net, let's be sure to cut others some slack in our reactions. :sunny: Have fun everyone! And have a little extra fun for me as I've had to eschew my beloved metal detecting for nearly a month due to overdoing what my wobbly ole body will tolerate, lol. :tongue3: Andi

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats again on your wonderful five silvers! :hello2: :blob3: :hello2: I'm enjoying this thread a lot.

But please on any thread don't anyone assume that an awkward question or theory posed by a reader indicates a desire to greedily take over or share in a "private" site of great potential --- because some of us ask "odd" questions or post "odd" theories because of our ignorance of a certain area or because, like me, of our love of theorizing about how something ended up where it was found or how it got to be in the condition it is. Just my opinion, but with the big variety of personalities & life experience on t-net, let's be sure to cut others some slack in our reactions. :sunny: Have fun everyone! And have a little extra fun for me as I've had to eschew my beloved metal detecting for nearly a month due to overdoing what my wobbly ole body will tolerate, lol. :tongue3: Andi

Many thanks!

Hope you get back swing a coil soon :thumbsup:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that I can answer that question! The area where BVI lives has been hit repeatedly by Hurricanes from well before to well after the coins were stashed and probably buried in the clay pot, all the way up to now when he found the clay pot with the coins inside. It is reasonable to believe with a fair certainty, that some of those Hurricanes were strong enough and had strong enough winds and storm surge to deposit salt water even in the higher terrain where the clay pot was found. In fact, I doubt that you could find any place there where the soil does not contain salt. Therefore if you have salt and other minerals blown or pushed inland and deposited in the soil, that with enough time and normal rains, that things such as coins buried in the soil, will eventually become encrusted.

Frank
What a great find! Big Congrats. I can say that metal dug up here near the seacoast show signs of salt degradation quite a ways inland.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great find! Big Congrats. I can say that metal dug up here near the seacoast show signs of salt degradation quite a ways inland.

For sure!:thumbsup:
and the clump that came out, came out in one solid piece, it took a whole day of soaking to break up (and reveal the other coins) so goodness knows what was in there - I don't think it was 'pure natural' soil?
the coins are STILL stained too!!:icon_scratch:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For sure!:thumbsup:
and the clump that came out, came out in one solid piece, it took a whole day of soaking to break up (and reveal the other coins) so goodness knows what was in there - I don't think it was 'pure natural' soil?
the coins are STILL stained too!!:icon_scratch:

BVI... Good morning guy. Isn't there anything more you can do (soaking?) to help with the staining further? I don't have a clue. Never had to "clean" anything yet. I'm just now learning how to get rust off my horseshoe collection. I'll be ready for your iron's soon.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BVI... Good morning guy. Isn't there anything more you can do (soaking?) to help with the staining further? I don't have a clue. Never had to "clean" anything yet. I'm just now learning how to get rust off my horseshoe collection. I'll be ready for your iron's soon.

the lump of 'soil' they were is dissolved to nothing, but the coins remain stained - I'm sure I could get the nice and bright, but think will leave as-is to retain that sense of 'history'.
I thought the staining could have been from the pot material, or perhaps they were packed in something inside the pot?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the lump of 'soil' they were is dissolved to nothing, but the coins remain stained - I'm sure I could get the nice and bright, but think will leave as-is to retain that sense of 'history'.
I thought the staining could have been from the pot material, or perhaps they were packed in something inside the pot?

That would make sense. The pot clay or glaze leaching into and maybe reacting with what ever was in the pot surrounding the coins. We find coins in the soil that are strange colors.

Well BVI I'd wish you luck fishing but with the way your luck is going I doubt you need it!
You would probably cast your line and get it caught on one of those pesky sunken treasure Galleons! Then you'd have to haul it all up and take photos of it all and post them on T Net, a lot of hard work....GOOD LUCK!!!! :treasurechest: :3barsgold::skullflag: :laughing7:

I know what you mean AQUA, you turn your back for a minute and "somebody" makes a banner find!:notworthy: :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread