CLUES THAT MATCH MY SEARCH AREA

Some Dude

May 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
GMT, GTI-2500 & Falcon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SD,

Yeah, it's funny that they mention 3 peaks, but they're supposed to be further away than in my picture. It's hard to tell what clues got "added to" over the years, until you actually find it, then you can tell which one is the correct description, and which ones are not. This has happened to me on several occasions.

It just takes time in the Hills to figure out what's real and what's been changed a little over time.

Thanks,
Travis

Hi DD,

Wondering (hoping, actually) that some day in the future, when the time comes that you will give some consideration to listing which clues are genuine and which ones are hogwash. Maybe even consider writing a book. That would be one of the most interesting things on the LDM I could ever read.

Best,
SD

BT3

Greenie
Jul 2, 2012
Everybody should really listen closely about the dangers of the supes in the summer. I live in the desert an should have known better. Long story short version. I walked in June 30th an almost didn't walk out. For me it wasn't a water issue, though I did not bring enough. I left something else ( certain meds) 6 hours to go 2 1/2 miles coming back out. Did this for a reason, needed to find out how far I can push in detrimental conditions. Mind you I wasn't in the big mountains either. But I learned what I needed an for me the price was worth it. I barely cheated the reaper. But doing it my way, I saw things I wouldn't have at a faster pace. Would I tell anyone to do as I, no way. Should have taken more pics but then I wouldn't be here now. Yes, that close. Will to survive is greater then I thought, luckily. Was bad enough that when I hit Dans store on the way out for water, the clerk was nice enough to allow me to lay on the floor, till I felt good enough to go to a motel. I've hiked an worked in the heat. But I will never go in again unprepared. One pic I did take was a pointer in the. Clouds. Took it because I didn't believe it. It was pointing the way I had to go though. Of course i was using a gps unit.
Point of this. Don't let you treasure brain over ride common sense.
I have thoughts on the LDM, Peraltas ETC. the boots will hit the trail. Just not in the hottest part of the summer.
Will mine pan out like Travis, hard to say. One can only hope. Google earth looks so much different then the real thing.
Good hunting Travis an we all want to see pics when you get in.
Question so when does everyone that lives there consider it cool enough. Or what months of the year.

OP
OP
Dirty Dutchman

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody should really listen closely about the dangers of the supes in the summer. I live in the desert an should have known better. Long story short version. I walked in June 30th an almost didn't walk out. For me it wasn't a water issue, though I did not bring enough. I left something else ( certain meds) 6 hours to go 2 1/2 miles coming back out. Did this for a reason, needed to find out how far I can push in detrimental conditions. Mind you I wasn't in the big mountains either. But I learned what I needed an for me the price was worth it. I barely cheated the reaper. But doing it my way, I saw things I wouldn't have at a faster pace. Would I tell anyone to do as I, no way. Should have taken more pics but then I wouldn't be here now. Yes, that close. Will to survive is greater then I thought, luckily. Was bad enough that when I hit Dans store on the way out for water, the clerk was nice enough to allow me to lay on the floor, till I felt good enough to go to a motel. I've hiked an worked in the heat. But I will never go in again unprepared. One pic I did take was a pointer in the. Clouds. Took it because I didn't believe it. It was pointing the way I had to go though. Of course i was using a gps unit.
Point of this. Don't let you treasure brain over ride common sense.
I have thoughts on the LDM, Peraltas ETC. the boots will hit the trail. Just not in the hottest part of the summer.
Will mine pan out like Travis, hard to say. One can only hope. Google earth looks so much different then the real thing.
Good hunting Travis an we all want to see pics when you get in.
Question so when does everyone that lives there consider it cool enough. Or what months of the year.

BT3,

There are a lot of variables in your question. It's different for each person. If I had to pick a month to start, I would say December for most people. That's for two reasons. One, the temps are good and two, there should be a ton of water by that time.

thanks,
Travis

OP
OP
Dirty Dutchman

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twisted Dork,

What, are we friends now...? I have no interest in having anymore discussions with you, publically or privately. Just know, anything you send me, i'll post on here for the world to see.....Did you hear that Water Truck hit that Vinegar truck again.........DOUCHE!!!

Travis

Hello All, here is some nonsense that Twisted Dork sent to me in a private message, because evidently it's not enough to hijack my thread. If you need to, you can print this page and use it for Toilet Paper.............

Hey DD,

One of the sites I have spent a lot of time with here in Utah, has three open rows where the trees were trimmed out from the surrounding foliage and then had three sets of small quartz stones laid out in the centre row, so that the over all configuration resembled the view down the barrel, of regular notched gun sites or a mine site in canon range from there. This was set up where the vein went underground at the outskirts of the site as it headed out towards the open desert.

The rows themselves are on a slope faced going the other way back into the canyon and positioned to point out where the smelter and camp were. The mines are on slopes that are tilted back the opposite way to the slope with the sets of three stones; like a V with a 3 mile spread as the crow flies. 300 feet? 3000 feet?

coffee2.gif

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
RR,... I carry a SPOT GPS system, just in case something happens and myself or someone with me can't get out. We can call the "cavalry"....Travis
You're obviously a reliable hand. Traveling solo in remote dangerous terrain has inherent risks, but you can hedge your bets. I decided back in '95 that packing a handheld amateur radio (ham) was my best option for communication in the Gila Wilderness and elsewhere. Getting the license is simple, the equipment is small, and the coverage, range and response is far superior to cell phones. When you reach a ham repeater, you are talking with another person whose mindset is to help. The SPOT, being satellite based, is handy but by no means 100% reliable. The 'cavalry' may or may not respond as quickly as necessary. Equally important, IMO, is to realize that all our gadgets work on batteries. With no juice, this stuff is useless weight. Think about carrying one of those ultra-light roll-up AA solar chargers and enough rechargeable batteries for your needs. For most folks, these issues are irrelevant, but an extremist needs the best security he can muster.

OP
OP
Dirty Dutchman

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield,

These are the things I will not go into the hills without.

-Platypus double bag water filtration system. I used to use a pump, but last winter the seal blew out on me and i would have been stranded if I had not just filled everything. The Platypus is super light, super strong, and extremely easy. Plus, if you backflush it, even just a little, you can get about 1 million gallons out of it.

-Two Camelbacks. One 3 liter, one 2 liter

-Water pills. Started carrying these after the pump broke, just in case.

-Snake Bite kit

-First Aid kit

-SPOT GPS

-Topo map

-extra batteries. I've found that my SPOT will run for about 7 days straight on lithium batteries without replacement.

-Mirror, whistle

-Gun

-knife

-Lighter/Matches

-Flashlight, headlamp

-rope. I carry large and small rope, just in case. The small rope, parachute chord, has been used for all kinds of stuff, including a broken shoe lace.

-duct tape. My buddy blew his shoe out, and this saved his ass because I taped his shoe back on.

-Regular GPS system

-Emergency blanket(s) These are a must. My jeans got soaked, so i cut one of these blankets and wrapped them around my bare legs, then put my wet jeans back on. I was as warm and comfy as could be as I hiked out in 50 degree weather.

-food/snacks

-powdered Gatorade. This has been a recent addition, and I personally believe it's a must. They're light, and actually quench my thirst fast. I carry an empty water bottle to mix them quickly and drink them.

Anyone contemplating going into the mountains should take the same, at the minimum.

Thanks,
Travis

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
We have always believed that late-March was the best time of the year, conditions-wise, to be in the Superstitions.:icon_thumright:

Good luck,

Joe

BT3

Greenie
Jul 2, 2012
DD thanks for the info. I live in Vegas so heat isn't much of a issue for me. Grew up in the desert. Water that's a different story. Good list you gave out. Need to update my GPS to a newer one. Mine works but it's 8 years old. I still plan on trekking in to the bigger side of the mountains but will wait for the cooler weather. Nice thing is can still hit the mountains around here to better prepare. Who knows might find treasures here. Now that I know that some of those odd rocks might be more then they seem.
Anthony

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Roadrunner,

A man that size, walking that terrain, in the heat of summer, will not make two days on 1-gallon of water. Some of you may be able to do it, but I would not suggest it to most people.

This man was seen by a couple at Brush Corral. He was sweating profusly, according to them. It would not be hard to go through 3-gallons per day or more in that kind of heat, added to the exertion of the hike.

Just one man's opinion.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

I wasn't sure about his size,but he should have quit,and waited for help.
Myself,6'-1-------168lbs. When i work out outside on construction sites,i have a 1 gallon igloo jug with cold water.
Last me all day,8-10 hours.All week long. As stated,each person must know there capabilities.
Last summer,when we had the scorching temps,and no water,i spent 3 days on top of a mall roof. Parapep walls,freshly painted white.No wind.
Had to reinstall solar panels.
27 aluminum skids.945 concrete blocks to hold the skids down. And 125 solar panels. From 6 in the morning,till 2:30 in the afternoon.
End of July. But,that is me.
@ Alan,i would never go more than 8-10 hours on less than 1 gallon.And if i did go longer,it would be a gallon of water,to every 8 hours.
I was a SAR member.Sergeant.Anyway,no more hijacking the thread.

OP
OP
Dirty Dutchman

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty decent list, DD. Lose the snake bite kit - they're essentially worthless. Add a compass.

Springfield,

Haha... The snakebite kit is for my wife's piece of mind...

I do carry a compass also, but there's no chance of me getting lost in the Superstitions unless I hit my head or get disoriented, and a compass probably won't matter at that point.

Thanks
Travis

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I also take along a small metal detector, Garret.
Because Ya never know.
and a pair of binoculars
Alan

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok,my understanding of the legend is,he buried it so no one could find it.
I just bought my first MD,a used Garrett at a yard sale,$10. It says in the directions that it makes a certain sound over disturbed dirt.
If someone was standing at the spot,would this not find any dirt that was different than that was next to it.

I may have to read a few things again,but DD,with your info and pics,you cant just walk up to the spot and start digging,or am i missing something.
I thought all the clues lead to the actual mine.Or is there a cave, a camp,a mine,ect.

OP
OP
Dirty Dutchman

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok,my understanding of the legend is,he buried it so no one could find it.
I just bought my first MD,a used Garrett at a yard sale,$10. It says in the directions that it makes a certain sound over disturbed dirt.
If someone was standing at the spot,would this not find any dirt that was different than that was next to it.

I may have to read a few things again,but DD,with your info and pics,you cant just walk up to the spot and start digging,or am i missing something.
I thought all the clues lead to the actual mine.Or is there a cave, a camp,a mine,ect.

RR

My spot is solid rock except for one spot, and it's about 20' by 25' of dirt, all the same color. Now keep in mind, you're looking for about a 3 to 6 foot wide hole, filled with anywhere from 4 to 2 feet of dirt (depending on who's version you're reading). So a 20 foot patch of dirt might as well be a mile if you only have a day or two at a time to spend out there. and then there's the whole "it's illegal to dig" thing... :)

Finding that Vent Hole was my biggest breakthrough, in my opinion. I'll just say it, I believe you're looking at the bottom of the "Volcanic Vent" that is the Lost Dutchman mine. If it proves passable by climbing in it, there will be no reason to dig. I can photograph my proof without breaking the law. How great would it be to actually prove this thing without doing anything illegal..?

After finding that vent hole, it shouldn't be hard to get in there with some minimal climbing equipment... And when I say "climbing equipment".... I mean rope... LOL

Thanks
Travis

OP
OP
Dirty Dutchman

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RR

Its also my opinion that the clues publically available only get you to the area where you'll find the cave (camp), tunnel, and landmarks. I believe that the directions that tell you what to do from the cave are a well guarded secret that will probably stay that why during our lifetimes. Now, I've said it before, but I don't think we need them to find it.

Thanks
Travis

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh,the wilderness act or what ever that is.
So after all this time i guess all the dirt would be the same compactness. So a MD wouldn't work then.
I don't remember what the tunnel was for.Did it enter into the mine,? I started reading about the LDM when i first moved to Mesa about 25 years ago.
Used to go fishing at Canyon,Horseshoe,and Bartlett res.
Been by the needle plenty of times and always wondered,(well,its right there,how far could the mine be?).
Oh well,may have to read a little again.

Dec 26, 2006
Centennial, CO
Wasn't the tunnel designed to intercept the ore body at a lower depth so that a typical mining 'gravity-assist' method would bring the ore out easier? As I understand it, the deeper tunnel was driven by the Mexican miners but the attacks by the Apaches cut short that effort and it was never driven all the way into the ore body. Is it not the theory that the second shallower tunnel was begun by the Waltz/Weiser team but abandoned when they were also attacked and driven away? Correct me if I got that wrong.

Colorado Mine Hunter

OP
OP
Dirty Dutchman

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't the tunnel designed to intercept the ore body at a lower depth so that a typical mining 'gravity-assist' method would bring the ore out easier? As I understand it, the deeper tunnel was driven by the Mexican miners but the attacks by the Apaches cut short that effort and it was never driven all the way into the ore body. Is it not the theory that the second shallower tunnel was begun by the Waltz/Weiser team but abandoned when they were also attacked and driven away? Correct me if I got that wrong.

Colorado Mine Hunter

Colorado,

I believe it was the Mexicans (Peraltas) that started the long tunnel (The "famous" unfinished one). The one I found is below where I believe the shaft to be located, which would match the story. I personally have never read that it was "unfinished" because of Indian attacks. I have read that they quit digging when "the tunnel became too difficult to work". This statement fits my tunnel exactly because, as I previously stated, the first 35 feet of the tunnel is the "soft" Red Rock. Where they stopped is the Hard Granite type rock. I believe they stopped because it was too difficult to get through. Next time i'm out i'm making it a priority to photograph the tunnel for you guys, and i'll get photos of the color change so you guys can see what i'm talking about.

I also believe Waltz (and possibly Weiser) also tried to tunnel in, to the left of the Mexican tunnel. They didnt get very far. Maybe 3 feet. The reason I believe this is because Waltz supposedly said "I erased all signs of my digging". I wasnt sure what this meant, until I saw the second tunnel. It COULD have been made by the Mexicans, but there is no record that i know of that backs that up.

Thanks,
Travis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread