Collar bar?

deepseeker3

Feb 6, 2010
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The site was a small home that had recently been razed. The house appeared to be from the 60's maybe 50's. I found many clad pennies and one wheat - 1940.

This was in a section of very dark rich soil, a garden area I am guessing. It was bent in an L shape, like it had been struck with a shovel at one time.

It is solid brass and both ends appear to be threaded, although I have been able to unscrew just one ball. I marked it up doing that so the other will remain unknown.

After rubbing my chin on this one for awhile the only thing I can think of is collar bar, but if it was I would expect the threaded end to be pointed or rounded. It is square, more like an industrial application.

As seen in the pics, slightly under 2.5", no identifying marks of any kind. I don't usually see brass eaten away like it is on the bar part, making me think it has been down there a long time.

What is it and how old do you think it is?

Attachments

• brass thingy.JPG
    brass thingy.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 913
  • brass thingy bill.JPG
    brass thingy bill.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 889

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I saw one of those going through the eyebrow of the cashier at the local market this morning.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL Creskol!

I think it's a collar bar; the type where the shirt collar has to have 2 holes for attachment since the balls unscrew. The other style collar bar will clip onto the collar.These tie bars go in and out of style depending on fashion. In the movie Boardwalk Empire, Nucky Thompson wore them, so they're back. Neat find, Breezie

Attachments

• CollarBar.JPG
    CollarBar.JPG
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,011
  • Nucky.jpg
    Nucky.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 6,608
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: It's a victorian knife rest to keep your knife off the table cloth.

White Shaddow said:

Good Morning Shadow, Meaning no disrespect to your post about this being a 'knife rest,' but I thought I would share a little information about them. Knife rest were invented in the late 17th/early 18th century and have been made from a variety of materials from wood, glass, crystal, MOP, etc. Their construction has been from the plain/simple to the most elaborate designs (especially during the Victorian era,) but 99% of them are 1-piece without the ending pieces being removable. Generally, if an item (any item) has a movable or removable part it, it is for a reason. I can see where you would think it could be a knife rest because many are shaped like miniature barbells. :thumbsup: Breezie

Upvote 0

427mike

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF YOU SEE SOME KID WITH GREEN HAIR OR SOME COLOR THAT YOU KNOW THAT THE PERSON WAS'NT BORN WITH JUST ASK THEM TO STICK OUT THERE TONGUE AND 9 OUT OF 10 YOU WILL SEE ONE!!

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep,I think it is a "body pierce"...............mind you they put those in some pretty "peculiar",locations of the body

Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep...that's a body piercing stud...trust me, I know from intimate (and painful) past experience!

Upvote 0

GpSnoopy

Sep 14, 2008
Grande Prairie, AB
Detector(s) used
MXT, Sovereign GT, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG.... I had to look this up, and going by the large size, definitely could be a body piercing stud. OUCH!!!! I don't even want to know what you had pierced, Romeo......TMI :tard: By the way, up to 3 inch, 16 & 18 gauge studs were listed for both male and female. I'll leave it your own imagination as to what or where they were using these monstrosities.

Not ruling out the collar stud, Breezie. Just saying that there are other alternatives that match, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL!What you didnt beleive me or ^^^Prince Albert :laughing7: ^^^??

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GpSnoopy said:
OMG.... I had to look this up, and going by the large size, definitely could be a body piercing stud. OUCH!!!! I don't even want to know what you had pierced, Romeo......TMI :tard: By the way, up to 3 inch, 16 & 18 gauge studs were listed for both male and female. I'll leave it your own imagination as to what or where they were using these monstrosities.

Not ruling out the collar stud, Breezie. Just saying that there are other alternatives that match, unfortunately.

Oh, I agree 100%. The body piercing jewelry bars and collar bars look almost identical, plus they unscrew at the ends. :icon_thumleft: Breezie

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I guess this lead item found by Roadquest is something different.

Attachments

• lead unk roadquest.jpg
    lead unk roadquest.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,052
  • lead unk roadquest.jpg
    lead unk roadquest.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,026
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
bigcypresshunter said:
I guess this lead item found by Roadquest is something different.

Yes .. I have identified his item:

Attachments

• roadquest.jpg
    roadquest.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,092
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
High Plains Digger said:
Breezie--If you want to be an antique expert in my town, well, I'll pay to see that!

How much? :laughing7: :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread