Colonial Buckles..Very Nice Large Batwing...Buttons...And a toasty George II

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
I went to a spot i found last year...It was already hunted so i didnt spend too much time there...I decided to go back and take my time working the cellars and pastures...The place is huge...We found a great spot with some targets..All from 1700's :icon_thumleft: I found this sweet Batwing buckle, Its huge 3 1/2 X 2 1/2..Found some nice Dandy buttons and a cuff size tombac...I found one coin a toasty George II...My hunting buddy found a 1723 Woods Hibernia and a 1787 conn copper :icon_thumleft: ...We were so frustrated because the other detectorists didnt fill there holes :nono:...We filled in alot but there are tons...People who see us there will think we did it, And we always fill our holes...Anyways here are the finds :thumbsup:

Attachments

• group.jpg
    group.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 818
  • buckles.jpg
    buckles.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 857
  • george obv.jpg
    george obv.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 803
  • george rev.jpg
    george rev.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 783
Upvote 0

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
amazing hunt, Brian.
those buckles are SWEET!
congrats on the GII.
sorry to hear about the miscreant detectorists.
i encounter the same thing at some of my spots.

dwayne

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sweet! those are some nice buckles and relics! i can relate to seeing open holes.it is frustrating!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out--someone will probably try to tell you that those batwing buckles are 1800s... (I still think they're 1700s finds, and this grouping supports that.)

Those are some GREAT finds! Bravo.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice buckles! Congrats........Hogge :headbang:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Brian !!! I like the buckles .That is not the last you'll see of KG II . He will be back , I just know it ! Hope you get some more stuff there ..looks like a location for some more great finds 8) CMDdawg

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You guys hit an awesome site. It sounds like the one we hit 2 weeks ago. Every signal turned out to be from the 1700s. The coppers were awesome and the buttons plentiful. Pennsylvania is loaded with these types of sites. We just have to buckle down and find them. The same goes for your area. Colonial history is where the copper story begins.....

Kirk

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer buckles!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Watch out--someone will probably try to tell you that those batwing buckles are 1800s... (I still think they're 1700s finds, and this grouping supports that.)

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Not me, that one looks 18th Century. :headbang: Maybe you haven't spottted the difference of those that have the off-set bar & are generally brass? I have 3 book sources that say those are 19th C, plus the UKDFD. :wink:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy
Yes I agree Will :icon_thumleft:

Although this one is not identical, it's certainly of the same theme, and fits to a early time frame :read2:

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=8797&cat=176

SS

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds guys!! As far as not filling in holes, one thing I have noticed in recent years, since I have been retired, I have more time to go back to the same site more often, sometimes twice in the same week, and to my surprise I have noticed that a lot of my holes were completely opened up again even though I cover each and every hole all the time.

This is not just happening at one site but many of them. I suspect that raccoons, possums, skunks, etc at looking for an easier meal and redigging in their quest benefiting from our loosening up of the soil. This seems to happen at most of the sites near water and not the isloated upland sites.

Don

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Nice finds guys!! As far as not filling in holes, one thing I have noticed in recent years, since I have been retired, I have more time to go back to the same site more often, sometimes twice in the same week, and to my surprise I have noticed that a lot of my holes were completely opened up again even though I cover each and every hole all the time.

This is not just happening at one site but many of them. I suspect that raccoons, possums, skunks, etc at looking for an easier meal and redigging in their quest benefiting from our loosening up of the soil. This seems to happen at most of the sites near water and not the isloated upland sites.

Don
That also happens here Don :o Rabbits usually the culprits, although Foxes and Badger do also :) one of the farmers came to us one day, he said to us I was going to tell you off for not filling your holes :o but then said after he took a closer look, it was Badgers that had done it....phew :-X

SS

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Thanks for all the kind replys..I sure had fun digging these relics :icon_thumleft:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Brian. :thumbsup: Always look forward to your posts, your digging some nice stuff this year. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread