Colonial house relic( UPDATE-Great news on this relic)

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
The 3 detectateers had high hopes going into this weeks new spot. It was not to be. Late 1700's early 1800's house. No old coins to speak of but I did find this spoon. It is made of pure silver. I never found a solid silver spoon before. It's very thin and teaspoon size. It has calligraphy letters on the top face. It also has I-M on the back. Anyone out there know their spoons? I would appreciate input.
Thanks
Chris
PIC00001-2.jpg

PIC00007-3.jpg

PIC00006-2.jpg

PIC00005.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Colonial house relic

Colonial Silver Zeus said:
jeff of pa said:
Very Nice Find Chris !

Better then Coins

Congrats !
Thanks Jeff. Even though I am a diehard coin guy I can also appreciate something such as this. I knew it was special as soon as I freed it from the doit.
Chris

Yes you come up with some
Nice old coins up there.

But there is always something special
With Untisels. Especially Old silver ones.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
IM...

a relic hunter, what about you? :D

I'm dug many spoons but only one similar one. Cool find.
I.M. wondering if you took your medication. ;D :D :wink:

:evil6:

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

I just read this article and this teaspoon probably was old silver such as spanish reales before being melted down,personalized and monogramed by the owner. This really energized me to the significance of this find. Read this article especially the paragraph beginning "During the time"
Chris
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20060901/ai_n16712053

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_1095_2_2.jpg
    IMG_1095_2_2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,147
  • IMG_1099_2_2.jpg
    IMG_1099_2_2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,137
  • IMG_1098_2_2.jpg
    IMG_1098_2_2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,114

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
BAAAAAAAAAANNER...BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNER...BAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNER...BAAAAAAAAAAANNER...BAAAAAAAAAANNER...BAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
The Colonial Silver Zeus lives up to his name again...Colonial Silver. :notworthy: :icon_salut:

One of The Three Datectateers diiiiiiiiid strike Colonial today...Colonial wilver coin spoon! :wav:

Snickety Boy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Zoyboy said:
The Colonial Silver Zeus lives up to his name again...Colonial Silver. :notworthy: :icon_salut:

One of The Three Datectateers diiiiiiiiid strike Colonial today...Colonial wilver coin spoon! :wav:

Snickety Boy

What exactly about this find is Colonial? Last time I checked, 1795 ain't colonial...

I would call that spoon 1830s...and the Spanish Silver it *might* have been made from might not be colonial either... I wanna see an article about this specific silversmith melting coins down to make his eating utensils. :P

But call it what you like, it's still a good find. Mr. Rodeo Recon found one last fall that was solid--and thin as well.

-Buck

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
BuckleBoy said:
Colonial Zoyboy said:

Snickety Boy

What exactly about this find is Colonial? Last time I checked, 1795 ain't colonial...

I would call that spoon 1830s...and the Spanish Silver it *might* have been made from might not be colonial either... I wanna see an article about this specific silversmith melting coins down to make his eating utensils. :P

But call it what you like, it's still a good find. Mr. Rodeo Recon found one last fall that was solid--and thin as well.

-Buck
Read this article Buck.
Colonial Shmolonial. Sometimes we get carried away with the colonial word. OK Buckwheat. Flowing Hair,Draped bust or Capped Whatever <even better yet. It's early american. Read beginning with"During the time"

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Colonial Zoyboy said:

Snickety Boy

What exactly about this find is Colonial?  Last time I checked, 1795 ain't colonial...

I would call that spoon 1830s...and the Spanish Silver it *might* have been made from might not be colonial either...  I wanna see an article about this specific silversmith melting coins down to make his eating utensils.   :P

But call it what you like, it's still a good find.  Mr. Rodeo Recon found one last fall that was solid--and thin as well. 

-Buck
Read this article Buck.
Colonial Shmolonial. Sometimes we get carried away with the colonial word. OK Buckwheat. Flowing Hair,Draped bust or Capped Whatever <even better yet. It's early american. Read beginning with"During the time"

Chris--

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,158060.msg1148336.html#msg1148336

Tag.  You guys are it.  The difference is that the find of ours in the post above looked like Spanish Silver.   :tongue3:

I read the article.  Nice work on the coin silver--even the article says that the piece can't be "Colonial."  :wink:

Tell me that you guys preserved that counterfeit pewter LC...

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
BuckleBoy said:
BuckleBoy said:
Colonial Zoyboy said:

Snickety Boy

-Buck
Read this article Buck.

Chris--

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,158060.msg1148336.html#msg1148336

Tag. You guys are it. The difference is that the find of ours in the post above looked like Spanish Silver. :tongue3:

Best Wishes,

Buck
buck , have you read all the articles we posted? John Mcmullin was a silversmith from Philly and he worked from 1795 to 1843. It IS made from coin silver dude. Read all the postings to my article. What"s with the petty jealousy? Come on man...Be happy for me dude.
Chris

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Buck,

One minute you are our friend and the next minute, I sense overwhelming jealousy. Will, my uncle never overtakes your "IRON BRIGADE" threads with snide remarks.

Good luck to you and the Brigade on finding your IRON. :tongue3: :tard: We will keep our King George coppas, Liberty Cap coppas, and mint state Spanish wilvers. :wink:

Keep your IRON passion high! :tongue3:

Kirk

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Evidence...
Think of someone even at the latest year that John Mcmullen was melting coins since this IS coin silver. Now.......Why would somebody back in 1843 melt down a perfectly good Early american silver coin when there was Older and probably more worn earlier spanish etc to melt down. I'm saying it is more probably older coins that was melted. So what .
Chris

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buckle, Zeus:

Alot of terms are used incorrectly on this forum. 'Cache' for example...it's annoying but we still say nice things and maybe gently correct a technical error. You are two of my metal detecting idols and the :argue: is so out of context! Please stop. :'(

From the Western US where we ain't never gonna find anything colonial or shmolonial, you two please continue to post your finds and call them whatever you like and you'll still rock in my book.

Signing out since you're probably ready to tell me to shove it,

Be NICE!
Born Free

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Born Free said:
Buckle, Zeus:

Alot of terms are used incorrectly on this forum. 'Cache' for example...it's annoying but we still say nice things and maybe gently correct a technical error. You are two of my metal detecting idols and the :argue: is so out of context! Please stop. :'(

From the Western US where we ain't never gonna find anything colonial or shmolonial, you two please continue to post your finds and call them whatever you like and you'll still rock in my book.

Signing out since you're probably ready to tell me to shove it,

Be NICE!
Born Free
Thanks Born Free.
(What She Said)
By the way I remember the movie Born Free when I was young and it was good. Is it where you got your sign in name inspiration?
Chris

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial KirkPA said:
Buck,

One minute you are our friend and the next minute, I sense overwhelming jealousy. Will, my uncle never overtakes your "IRON BRIGADE" threads with snide remarks.

Good luck to you and the Brigade on finding your IRON. :tongue3: :tard: We will keep our King George coppas, Liberty Cap coppas, and mint state Spanish wilvers. :wink:

Keep your IRON passion high! :tongue3:

Kirk

Kirk, Zoy, and Zeus--I am still your friend, 100%...and not jealous at all of a spoon. :D But since one of your team chimed in on my post from May, I figured that the Colonial Boys could handle it. :wink: Sorry Zeus, I may have put my reply in the wrong post--but I thought you three were a team. Keeping each other in check is an important part of that. You have the Seniority, I assume. So it's time to put the past behind us, and I'll forgive all the requests to see photos of all the iron we've dug. ::) In fact, if one of you three requests it ever again, I will NOT be posting it--even though we dig large amounts of it to get the goodies. Perhaps we should agree to stop needling each other on each others' threads. :stop:

Best Wishes

-Buck

P.S.--The IRON passion has never been higher.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread