Colonial house relic( UPDATE-Great news on this relic)

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
The 3 detectateers had high hopes going into this weeks new spot. It was not to be. Late 1700's early 1800's house. No old coins to speak of but I did find this spoon. It is made of pure silver. I never found a solid silver spoon before. It's very thin and teaspoon size. It has calligraphy letters on the top face. It also has I-M on the back. Anyone out there know their spoons? I would appreciate input.
Thanks
Chris
PIC00001-2.jpg

PIC00007-3.jpg

PIC00006-2.jpg

PIC00005.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
naud said:
Colonial Zoyboy said:
CRUSADER said:
Colonial Zoyboy said:
CRUSADER said:
romeo-1 said:
Nice find...The silver whistle I just found is stamped "IT" and is attributed to Joseph Taylor. Your "IM" spoon is attributed to John McMullen...Did "I" mean "J" during this era...weird...

I think there was no J in the alphabet (or something like that). I get many 17th century tokens with I meaning J.

I wouldn't go that far with it. :D As Jerry Seinfeld once said to George, "I sometimes spell my name with a G and an I." :D

Does that mean Thomas Jefferson would spell his name like Thomas Iefferson. OOOF :D

Copied from:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2451890

The last letter to be added to the English alphabet was the letter J. Similarly to the evolution of U and V, I and J started out as variations of a single letter. Scribes might put a long tail on a final I if there were a few in a row. For example, Henry the Eighth could be written 'Henry viij'. It was up to the scribe to decide which version of the letter he wanted to use.

This is the mid-1500s. I was talking about late 1790s-1840s.

I can only guess that the silver smiths followed old traditions. Otherwise how do you exaplain it?
Alcohol ;D ::)
Chris

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
Nice spoon :thumbsup:The only spoon I ever found worth anything of note was this tiffany spoon.... some how the plow must have missed it! I think I'd rather find a colonial spoon with initials on it...now that's history! HH M

Attachments

• tiffany spoon.jpg
    tiffany spoon.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 406
  • tiffany spoon2.jpg
    tiffany spoon2.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 400
  • tiffany spoon.jpg
    tiffany spoon.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 405
  • tiffany spoon2.jpg
    tiffany spoon2.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 401

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
I guess I'll give this post one last well-deserved bump to the top of the forum. :icon_sunny:

Zeus, you are the king of everything Colonial! OOOOF :icon_jokercolor:

Lemony Snicket

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That really is a SWEET find my friend and worthy of mention once again! :thumbsup: :wink:

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Chris,
Looks very similar to a spoon I found. It had the caligraphy, the exact eagle stamp and it was mangled like yours. ;D

Always nice to find silver in any form. :icon_sunny:

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread