Concealing Firearms While Detecting

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike, I grew up eating boiled cabbage quite often. I like it. A big plate/bowl of cabbage, maybe some beans, fried potatoes, and big chunk of cornbread and I'm a happy man. Maybe I should go on a diet of it and try to lose some weight that I don't need. I've developed a 'beer-belly' these last 2 to 3 years. My main problem is sitting here like I'm doing right now. I'd like to be out MDing; but mornings are still a little too cool and later in the day there are too many other things to keep me from it. Oh well, maybe later today or tomorrow!!

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying all these diets to loose weight, will work in the short term, more than likely the odds are against you for putting the weight back on.
Best way to lose weight and keep it off is to change your lifestyle and eat three squares a day at set times, no seconds..
I dropped 40lbs with minimal exexercise, my appetite is drastically decreased with no Ill effects.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not saying its correct though it seems a good way to put it,one guy offered the body having an internal "thermostat" that said what weight the body wants to maintain. Allowing it to reset happens when its allowed.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I've been looking at the Bond Arms Derringer for awhile now and I like what I see.

BondArmsRanger-PPMagazine.png

I would get the Snake Slayer with the 4 1/4" barrel in .45 long Colt only...
and not the .45LC/410 where only the last 3/4" of the barrel is rifled.

I like the cross draw holster. Being on my left, it would be out of the way.

0.jpg

Wouldn't be seen even under a light shirt.
I also like all the different calibers and barrels that's interchangeable.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I don't carry a firearm at anytime. I never felt the need to and if I did I just wouldn't go into those areas. As for detecting wooded areas I would be more afraid of being accidently shot from poachers or licensed game hunters then anything. Not that I don't hunt myself. Just see lot of blinds and stands around a lot of my detecting sites and some game is legal to hunt year round like coyote. Now during deer season its just plain smart to stay out of those areas all together. I guess a bright colored shirt is my best protection. I live in Northern Ill and rarely venture into city parks to detect or any heavily populated areas for that matter.

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the look of those pistols. Here in Aus you would be in jail for carrying

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Personally I don't carry a firearm at anytime. I never felt the need to and if I did I just wouldn't go into those areas.

Mr. Glock goes everywhere I go, including church. Better to have a firearm and not need it than to need one and not have it.

Manhunter

May 13, 2014
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime I do anything out in the woods, eg: camping, off-roading, etc....., I feel more comfortable with a firearm, and would probably extend that to metal detecting as well. However, I would be remiss as a 25 year veteran LEO not to say ensure that IF you carry, you are in compliance with state carry laws.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking at the Bond Arms Derringer for awhile now and I like what I see.

View attachment 997413

I would get the Snake Slayer with the 4 1/4" barrel in .45 long Colt only...
and not the .45LC/410 where only the last 3/4" of the barrel is rifled.

I like the cross draw holster. Being on my left, it would be out of the way.

View attachment 997438

Wouldn't be seen even under a light shirt.
I also like all the different calibers and barrels that's interchangeable.

Nice little Derringer!

Two shots makes me feel a little uneasy, especially reload time..on the other hand, carrying a standard .45 would make it a little to bulky. Hence, that's why I carry a 4 1/2 inch .45

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading the mass responses to this thread, I attended a local gun show this past weekend and purchased a small pocket pistol to carry while detecting. The original 38 special, a Raven 25 semi-auto.
I don't know what I was thinking? I don't need it. I can take most men down with my hands and feet if needed, as we all can.
Never once have I felt threated enough while metal detecting to wish I had a gun. Hope I don't, cause I'm gonna continue without.
Peace...

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Springfield XDM is my favorite hunting buddy.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading the mass responses to this thread, I attended a local gun show this past weekend and purchased a small pocket pistol to carry while detecting. The original 38 special, a Raven 25 semi-auto.
I don't know what I was thinking? I don't need it. I can take most men down with my hands and feet if needed, as we all can.
Never once have I felt threated enough while metal detecting to wish I had a gun. Hope I don't, cause I'm gonna continue without.
Peace...

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.....

It will never arise when you expect it, it will most likely come when you least expect it.....If you only need it once in your life, that will be the time when you need it the most... It is like car insurance...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.....

It will never arise when you expect it, it will most likely come when you least expect it.....If you only need it once in your life, that will be the time when you need it the most... It is like car insurance...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

"When seconds count....cops are minutes away.."

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Nice little Derringer!

Two shots makes me feel a little uneasy, especially reload time..on the other hand, carrying a standard .45 would make it a little to bulky. Hence, that's why I carry a 4 1/2 inch .45

I have the Texas Defender version. Short barrel, .45/.410 by Bond Arms.
I normally use the .410 ammo with 000 buckshot or the ammo with the copper slug and some 000.
Be realistic, it's a belly gun. When you are detecting you aren't going to be doing any long range shooting.
At close range those .45 cal barrel openings look mighty impressive. It would more than likely discourage any aggression on an intruders part and that is it's purpose. Hay, if there is more than two of them, just ask who wants to go first! lol
Frank...- 111-2 700Warrior Head.jpg

Last edited:

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime I do anything out in the woods, eg: camping, off-roading, etc....., I feel more comfortable with a firearm, and would probably extend that to metal detecting as well. However, I would be remiss as a 25 year veteran LEO not to say ensure that IF you carry, you are in compliance with state carry laws.

Nice jeep

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread