CZ-20 on the blink, couple of questions

KNOTHEAD

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
CZ-20, Whites MXT & 5900
Hi y'all,
Been a long time lurker here, (3 yrs. plus) and have'nt posted in probably 3 yrs. I really enjoy this website and visit at least twice a day to look at all the great finds.I really need to take the time to learn how to post pics!
I mainly waterhunt local swimming holes, lakes and springs, and shoot down to sarasota every so often. As of late my trusty CZ-20 went on the blink. I found a broken connection on the 9v clip to the battery pack, fixed this and she is still acting up. I checked the voltage at the battery pack and only reading a bit over 18v with new batteries.
Is this the correct voltage or should I be reading a full 36v off of the battery pack? I suspect that if the pack should be reading 36v, then my battery pack has gone bad. If thats the case, then where would y'all recommend purchasing parts from?
I searched the web and could'nt find any one selling parts, although I did find the battery pack on line.I am also looking for the battery compartment gasket, coil bolt/ wingnut etc..
Thanks so much, KNOTHEAD

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am truly sorry to hear of the CZ-20 going bad and needing repairs. Your best source for parts will be Fisher's customer service. You may have to send it in since they aren't to willing to just send out the parts. Expect a huge repair bill. They will call you with the estimate before they start any work on it. This is one reason many just bite the bullet and buy a new detector for a few dollars more. I however will never buy another Fisher product!

Welcome to the forum. It isn't hard to post pics, the main thing is they have to be the correct size and a photo program will do that for you.

Sandpiper

Jan 16, 2005
18V is the correct voltage

from the battery pack. Check the two post that goes tru case and make sure they are not corroded. Other that that could be a number of problems. Good luck on repairs.

FelixtheCat

Jan 24, 2008
Miami
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 / Tesoros Deleon & Sand Shark
I have seen the replacement battery pack sold on E-bay for close to $40. You would need that and solder the terminals and you should be good to go!

OP
OP
K

KNOTHEAD

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
CZ-20, Whites MXT & 5900
Thank y'all for the replies!

Well I finally got a little time to spare and got out to the backyard for a decent test on my CZ-20. I set out a test garden of sorts on a towel in the grass (gold, silver, clad, nickle, penny, pull-tabs). I think she is working normal, I would say about 95%. A couple times after scanning over a nickle or pull-tab, the tone would change from mid/high tone to low tone, and I would lose depth. Not sure if this was happening before.
I am gonna take it out for a test in the water latter this week. Thank you. KNOTHEAD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread