DFX shutting down?

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Hey guys! Anybody have any problems with the DFX shutting down. This usually happens after using the Sunray probe, which also coincides with setting the unit down, and sometimes it tipping over to its side. My dealer warned me not to drop in the battery pack as it could bend the contacts within, causing a shutdown now and then. He said to correct this he adds a folded piece of cigarette box on top of the battery before closing the door to add extra tension. I have also experienced my screen going out ad turning dark only on the left side. Another problem is the screen will disappear but I will still have audio tone. Its still under warranty, should this be sent back to Whites?
John

blklab

Jul 30, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX/Garrett Ace 250/Troy X2/DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Absolutely John. Send it back to "White" with a list of all the issues. They will
take very good care of you and in a timely fashion.

You have multiple issues going on, none of which I think we are able to fix.
It needs the experts at "White's Repair".

Good luck and you should have no problem and will be back in business soon.
Good as new.
Doug (blklab) :thumbsup:

ikes4ever

Nov 27, 2007
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 1000 and DFX
I would send it back to Whites. I ve never experianced that with my year old DFX. The main reason I bought Whites was for there great customer service thou. good luck

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
blklab said:
Absolutely John. Send it back to "White" with a list of all the issues. They will
take very good care of you and in a timely fashion.

You have multiple issues going on, none of which I think we are able to fix.
It needs the experts at "White's Repair".

Good luck and you should have no problem and will be back in business soon.
Good as new.
Doug (blklab) :thumbsup:

Thanks Doug, I've already called into the Midwest service center and setting up a time to drop it off. I'm lucky that they're within driving distance. Its just going to be hard being without my DFX for awhile.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd also send it in, never had that with mine either.

gw1952

Nov 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX, E-TRAC
You probably already tried this but did you put in fresh batteries?? If you are using the nicad pack when it starts going bad it is unreliable I will put in fresh alkaline battery's.

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
gw1952 said:
You probably already tried this but did you put in fresh batteries?? If you are using the nicad pack when it starts going bad it is unreliable I will put in fresh alkaline battery's.

No, I haven'y tried that yet. But I switched back to the 12" coil and it worked fine for 4 day without any problem. So I put the 6x10 DD back on yesterday and it still hasn't shut down or have any display problems. I wonder if I had a loose cable connection causing the problems?

sniper19612003

Mar 9, 2005
North East Pennsylvainia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer/ White's MXT
I would still send it back. For the money spent on it, you want to make sure it's working properly. It won't hurt to have them check it out.

Sniper

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My DFX shuts down every once in awhile and I restart it. I don't think thats a big deal. Once I had a battery in backwards. I don't remember what happened but that was the first thing I checked. Another thing Is if the trigger is pushed foward when turning it on the screen will flicker.Good luck.

wildman-1374

Jan 31, 2009
HEY JOHN, IN THE LAST THREE YEARS I'VE HAD 3 NEW WHITE'S DFX'S DO THE SAME THING TO ME AT 40 DEGREES. ON WARMER DAYS IT WOULD WORK JUST FINE. EVERY TIME I'D CALL TODD AT SWEETHOME OR. AND HE'D TAKE CARE OF IT. I JUST GOT ANOTHER NEW ONE AND IT'S WORKING GREAT AT 29 AND 30 DEGREES AND I'M ONE HAPPY CAMPER. THE THING WITH WHITE'S IS THEY TAKE CARE OF THERE COSTOMERS. ON ALL 3 OF THOSES DETECTORS THEY DIDN'T CHARGE ME ONE PENNY, EVEN ON THE SHIPPING AND HANDLING BOTH WAYS. GOOD HUNTING, MEL.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have relic hunted in snow, never had this happen, since it is under warranty send it back. this is the right time of year. I have always mailed mine back for a complete tune up before the warranty is up.--sound of mind

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my dfx does it too, usualy when i first start it up, sometimes it shuts off 2 or 3 time befor it stays on for good. and now that i think about it, it only does it on colder day and hasnt done it in a while... ill jst deal with it unless it gets worse.

VTDFX

Mar 18, 2009
Rupert Vermont
Detector(s) used
whites DFX/IDX PRO
MY DFX DOES THE SAME THING AS 'DANKS'.
BUT I WOULD SEND IT BACK WITH THE PROBLMS YOU ARE EXPEIRENCEING.

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sent it back for repairs and the problem is fixed!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a DFX but have the MXT does anyone know if LCD screens have a operating temp range where they don't work right below a certain range? I would think they do though quality ones would probably have a wider operating range I would think and that would have nothing to do with it shutting down though. I have a friend that has the older XLT the first one out with C batteries, he told me he hunted a school property that when something in the school would come on it would shut his detector down. He hunted a few times there but quit hunting there because of it and said it only done it there, not saying that is your problem just stating it as food for thought.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
not only yes but hell yes i have put mine through the ringer and the only thing wrong with it is it eat batteries to fasr for me but send it in asap before the spring season gets here pronto

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ole possum, ya gotta quit using them cheap batteries, seriously though, never had any problems with my DFX.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Yep, great thread. It has happened with mine as well. Not enough though to warrant sending it in but it does happen. Although I believe it has happened both in warm and cold weather. So I will just wing it and hope it never gets worse. Just a small pain when it happens as you have to reload, restart the program. Oh well, still a great machine. Goodluck out there. jgas

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Wow, I can't believe its been almost a year and a half since I started this thread. The problems with my DFX haved calmed down but have not entirely gone away. I thought I would have sent it back but I guess I've been having to much fun to part with it. 65 silver in 2009 :thumbsup:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take your battery pack out and check to see if the contacts sunk down in the plastic have any pitting. If so, thats your problem and all it needs to fix it is the connector prongs pulled up slightly towards the contol box flap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions