Discovery ch. Gold Rush Alaska

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoodyGuy said:
mts said:
Perhaps it's because I know nothing about gold prospecting... but it sure seems like they would have all been better off just taking a $10 pan and panning the stream for the Summer instead of wasting all of that time and money on their setup/equipment. I realize that they wouldn't have "gotten rich". But it doesn't look like they are going to get rich anyway (quite the opposite). Are they not allowed to pan the stream? Are there regulations against it?

They've also done a heck of a lot of "building" instead of mining. Who in their right mind builds a house on site if they don't even know whether or not there is even any gold there? Most of those guys will leave at the end of the summer and never come back.

I totally agree with the sentiments in this thread that say this show is a good example of what NOT to do to find gold. And I know nothing about prospecting.

Panning the creek, while fun, and inexpensive, would never support 6 families. Their claim supposedly is a proven claim with mineral assets (gold) valued into the millions. There is only one way to retrieve those assets in a cost effective and timely manner, and that is by the use of heavy equipment and a wash plant.

With that being said they have wasted time, effort, and capital, by going about getting set up to mine in the most inefficient and least cost effective manner possible. Thereby draining their capital resources at an alarming rate.

An experienced mining crew using the same type equipment would have had a 10 times better chance of recovering enough gold to see a sizable return on their investment during the first mining season. Plus it would only take 3-4 men to run the whole operation cutting costs even further.

As their wealthy neighbor alluded to, it takes time and money to get established. Of which this crew has not enough of either one. Combine that with their lack of experience and it is a recipe for disaster.

However I must keep reminding myself they have some back up income from the History Channel, so it's not a total loss. :tongue3:
GG~

I totally agree that you can't support 6 families off of panning. Then again, they aren't supporting 6 families off of what they are doing either. But your point is well taken. If they wanted any chance at all of supporting 6 families then they needed to do it the right way which is to setup the proper equipment which takes time. It seems clear that they've pissed away a lot of time building permanent dwellings and have spent very little time on actually mining. If they'd known ahead of time that it was going to end up that way they would have been better off saving their money and just panning for gold (or not making the journey to begin with!). But hindsight is always 20/20.

One thing I do know... I'd love to have the opportunity to give this a try with some of the knowledgeable members from this forum! :icon_thumleft: Somehow I think the result would be much different.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mts said:
One thing I do know... I'd love to have the opportunity to give this a try with some of the knowledgeable members from this forum! :icon_thumleft: Somehow I think the result would be much different.

My first pick would be KlondikeIke :icon_thumleft:
He has been there and done that and has the t-shirt :icon_sunny:

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Goodyguy...

I appreciate the kind word of confidence in me... while being retired from mining, I could probably be persuaded to work with a small group, under the right conditions.... but it would need to be something real special...

Thanks,

Klondike....

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
I agree, there are several Hands on this board I would team up with on a joint venture. :thumbsup:

I may be wrong, but I thought a drill hole grid was completed on the site. They should have had a pretty good idea where to dig, but with this bunch grabbing at a moving target is more appealing. It would not surprise me, if they set the plant on top of the most promissing site. Dang, I just can't wait till Friday to see what else they have done.
Any of you Boys take a notion on a promising site and need a crew, think of me. I will pull my weight financially, physically and base knowledge. Course non of us are gonna pursue a pipe dream, there will have to be some good site documentation and signed joint venture work agreements :thumbsup:
Keep in mind however that I will be stuck here in Tulsa on a job for about another year. :(

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, if anyone is putting a group together count me in if anyone wants to invite me! I got plently of time. It looks like I won't be doing many motorcycle rallies this year due to some circumstances that stemed from the Army causing me to pretty much be out of business.

Long story short, but the last 3 years going on TDY's and waiting up to 6 months for Uncle Stupid to pay me for the TDY's has cost me my business being I own no credit cards. I own enough debt with the ex-wife!

So who wants to get a group together?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheHarleyMan2 said:
Heck, if anyone is putting a group together count me in if anyone wants to invite me! I got plently of time. It looks like I won't be doing many motorcycle rallies this year due to some circumstances that stemed from the Army causing me to pretty much be out of business.

Long story short, but the last 3 years going on TDY's and waiting up to 6 months for Uncle Stupid to pay me for the TDY's has cost me my business being I own no credit cards. I own enough debt with the ex-wife!

So who wants to get a group together?

Well there's this guy in Texas looking for investors ........................... :tongue3:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,376195.msg2672240.html#msg2672240

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Grey Cloud...

I do not know if a drill hole was done or note... but consider this... take a 11 inch X 8 1/2 inch sheet of paper... imagine this represent a typical 20 acre mining claim... now place a very small dot at every square in of that sheet of paper....

Transfer that example to an actual mining property...and drill a hole to bedrock at every dot...replacing so many feet to each square inch..... it takes much more than just one drill hole in order to get a good understanding of the pay streaks and total reserves on any given property...and where to start and what direction to go once you start processing.....plus, you'll want to drill into bedrock a couple of feet to see how much bedrock you'll need to take out to actually get to the real gold on the property...I've been on properties where we took up to 4 feet of bdroock to get all the gold...and others where only 1 foot was needd to be removed....

None of that has been done on the property on the show...they are making the same mistake so many recreational miners make... GOLD FEVER...an their thought is ....that gold is everywhere...soon they'll find out different...

Klondike...

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Klondikeike said:
Thanks Goodyguy...

I appreciate the kind word of confidence in me... while being retired from mining, I could probably be persuaded to work with a small group, under the right conditions.... but it would need to be something real special...

Thanks,

Klondike....

Actually,
while I like the idea of being a hand at a mining operation, the reality is, I just love the adventure and the thrill of the hunt. Once the gold is found I'm ready to move on to where the next treasure hunt leads me.

I have helped out for short periods on some archaeological digs and other types of recoveries, but my heart really is in the research and in the chase leading to the discovery.

Happy Hunting and may you all find the treasure that you seek,
GG~

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• rofl.gif
    rofl.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,521
  • rofl.gif
    rofl.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,502
  • rofl.gif
    rofl.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,511
  • rofl.gif
    rofl.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,518
  • rofl.gif
    rofl.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,497

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Hey Klondikeke, you are probably right, for some reason I thought the properly had been gridoff and drilled. :dontknow:
GG, I would rather put money and time in dredges, sluices and such. Not saying that old boy is not a straight shooter, but I put more faith in a proved gold claim. :thumbsup: That said, if I was presented with enough supporting documentation on the J.B. Texas play, I would be willing to play. :thumbsup:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the first video I believe the narator, said they got the claim from a long time mining buddy of Jack's who owns the land and also found gold there. I will have to watch the video again to verify. But I am sure that is what they said.

Yes, that is what they said.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrayCloud said:
GoodyGuy said:
Well there's this guy in Texas looking for investors ........................... :tongue3:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,376195.msg2672240.html#msg2672240

GG, I would rather put money and time in dredges, sluices and such. Not saying that old boy is not a straight shooter, but I put more faith in a proved gold claim. :thumbsup: That said, if I was presented with enough supporting documentation on the J.B. Texas play, I would be willing to play. :thumbsup:

I would like to meet the man and allow him the benefit of convincing me of what he has found before dismissing his story out of hand.
However, at the present I have too many irons in the fire to check him out.

For all I know, he may be on the level and is offering the chance of a lifetime to someone who would be able to take him up on his offer. :dontknow:

GG~

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheHarleyMan2 said:
In the first video I believe the narator, said they got the claim from a long time mining buddy of Jack's who owns the land and also found gold there. I will have to watch the video again to verify. But I am sure that is what they said.

Yes, that is what they said.

Yea,the successful neighbor also told them not to beleive the "claim owner". :read2:

mcscs

Apr 12, 2010
fla
I was thinking about the buildings. There's a meeting area described as a place to sit and relax for meals soon.

And two cabins one basic and one elaborate with an inside head, and cooking area. Separate rooms and closets.

The meeting area looks a lot like a storefront.

Just wondering is anybody think this could be part of the contract to have these buildings erected for the mine owner to use as a pay to mine. and gift shop. Or something like that. Experience two night's at a rustic mining camp only $2500 Alaska weekend adventure.

It has been mentioned that tour buses travel past the area frequently on their way to other sites.
It has to be a reason for such elaborate structures for three months use.
or an I over thinking I do have a lot of free time.
mcscs
mike

mcscs

Apr 12, 2010
fla
One more thought for today do you think JIM DORSEY s replacement has shown up. The new guy helping build the cabin?
We have beaten the show up so much can"t think of anything else that can be said. So how about we trying and figure out what's going to happen next. :sign13:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They need to detect!!!

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mcscs said:
One more thought for today do you think JIM DORSEY s replacement has shown up. The new guy helping build the cabin?
We have beaten the show up so much can"t think of anything else that can be said. So how about we trying and figure out what's going to happen next. :sign13:

I don't know. It sure seems like they keep bringing in more and more people as they go along. I think for the series' sake they are trying not to focus much on all of the support people who have shown up so I don't think the new guy helping to build the cabin is going to be a direct "replacement". I bet you just see him in the background now and then helping as needed.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
They need to detect!!!

You're right, they could have been nugget shooting instead of just standing around. :icon_thumleft:
Doubt they could operate anything that technical though.

Plus they probably couldn't afford a detector anyway after spending all their money on ammo and building materials. :tongue3:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Way it should have been, considering their Economic Situation.
No women or kids on first season.

Erect one building for joint living, cooking and storage quarters.

Dedicate personnel according to their ability to specific roles and don't deviate until given task is completed or need of another task is more valuable.

Just my opinion. :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread