Discovery ch. Gold Rush Alaska

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mts said:
It also looked like the vial of gold they did produce was about 50% black sand. They didn't do a very good job of panning.

The one interesting story they shared was about the guy who had recovered 700 ounces of gold from his cleanout many years ago (he lived in the area). They found him dead that night and his gold (worth about $1M today) was nowhere to be found. Forgive me if I messed up the numbers. I'm doing it from memory. But you get the idea.

What was the old man doing by himself with the gold in the tent? Burying his share :laughing7:

It all goes back to what KlondikeIke said about knowing where the high value dirt was to be had in the first place and then running that to get some cash flowing their way.

Ive also heard that some miners send their concentrates out to be refined professionally for maximum results. Due to being able to reclaim the microscopic gold as well.

GG~

mcscs

Apr 12, 2010
fla
You Know I enjoy the show. But it's getting a little too unbelievable. I thought the mechanic was one of the few worthwhile people on the show. till he pulled that gun. that is just ridiculous. If it was scripted and I hope so. He could have simply said I'm not doing it. Just made him look very simpleminded.

You're right about the wave table

JIM DORSEY is starting to sound like a crybaby on his blog.
And he was my favorite. He added a lot more information and the new characters
also check this out.
Jacks home sweet home
http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-3112-home_sweet_home.htm

Well off to a Epidural which is worse the back pain or the spike.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
I too wonder why he alone had access to the final tally. :dontknow:

As to the wave table, of which I dang sure am not an expert, did you see how deep they had the concentrates? No way the table could work as overloaded as they had it. The table is not designed to hold a half yard of material at one time. Tom's big table up in Alaska is only fed on small scoop at a time and it is three times the size of this one. :icon_scratch: And, why did they wait till the lassst minute to install it. If they were in such a money crunch, why did they not just use some cleanup sluices? Did they not already have buckets of concentrates lined up to separate? :icon_scratch:
Dorsey is gone, now lets see who is too blame, not say he was not responsible of some of their fiasco's.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read some of Dorsey's blogging. We ALL know that when Discovery came about that everyone was going to get some money for the show. Plain and simple, it is called television, sponsors, etc. So whether the show is scripted or not. People on there are getting money. And of course, there has to be actors/players for the drama, etc to get the ratings and make it a reality show.

So regardless if Dorsey's role was to be the greenhorn who would be let go after a few episodes so that is teh script.

Now, think about this. When they did Axe Men, Deadliest Catch, there were different teams. So if Dorsey is going out to build another team, heck count me in, regardless of what anyone else says. Fact is whether you find gold or not, (it would be nice to find gold, tons of it), but also getting a hefty steady paycheck just for being aired on the show.

Don't know what else anyone thinks, but I would go with Dorsey, build and put together another team. After all any team other than the Hoffman Bozo's already there has to be a much needed improvement!!!!!!

Wouldn't that bee cool???? A team better than the fly-by-night Hoffman bozo's and we find more gold than they do!!!!
SWEEEEEEEETTTT!!!!!!!! Count me in!!!!!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheHarleyMan2 said:
Don't know what else anyone thinks, but I would go with Dorsey, build and put together another team. After all any team other than the Hoffman Bozo's already there has to be a much needed improvement!!!!!!

Wouldn't that bee cool???? A team better than the fly-by-night Hoffman bozo's and we find more gold than they do!!!!

Pretty sure you have to play an instrument and sing country/western music to be on Dorsey's crew :laughing7:
They may not find any gold but they are going to have fun trying.

Actually I was impressed when Jimmy D. said he was learning how to do core sample drilling :icon_thumleft:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Dangit, Can't play or sing. :( But I can dang sure layout and put equipment together better than this group.

I just don't understand why Dorsey's are saying they received no money for the show. How can you be a cast member and not be paid? :dontknow:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrayCloud said:
Dangit, Can't play or sing. :( But I can dang sure layout and put equipment together better than this group.

I just don't understand why Dorsey's are saying they received no money for the show. How can you be a cast member and not be paid? :dontknow:

It seems "the crew" were to be paid pro rata based upon the skills they brought to the table, Dorsey being the lowest paid ($1,000.00 per episode) with Harness being the highest paid. Dorsey says he still has not been paid all that is due him.

The Hoffmans (Todd and Jack) received the lion share because the show was their idea.

GG~

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoodyGuy said:
TheHarleyMan2 said:

Pretty sure you have to play an instrument and sing country/western music to be on Dorsey's crew :laughing7:
They may not find any gold but they are going to have fun trying.

Oh I've been playing guitar for 34 years off and on. Mostly I play is classic rock, but I even got some of my own tunes. So I can DEFINITELY BE ON Dorsey's Team!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Here is a picture of my babies!!

Attachments

• SANY0168-1.JPG
    SANY0168-1.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,192
  • SANY0166-1.JPG
    SANY0166-1.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,197
  • SANY0171-1.JPG
    SANY0171-1.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,174
  • SANY0152-1.JPG
    SANY0152-1.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,177
  • SANY0161-1.JPG
    SANY0161-1.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,172

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheHarleyMan2 said:
Oh I've been playing guitar for 34 years off and on. Mostly I play is classic rock, but I even got some of my own tunes. So I can DEFINITELY BE ON Dorsey's Team!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

I guess since you have so much equipment perhaps you will let me sign on as your "grip"
My harmonica will fit in my pocket. :tongue3:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoodyGuy said:
TheHarleyMan2 said:

I guess since you have so much equipment perhaps you will let me sign on as your "grip"
My harmonica will fit in my pocket. :tongue3:

Hey that's cool with me!!! I think several of us here ought to get together and head to Alaska, maybe if we can't get on Dorsey's team, maybe we can put our own together. After all, Axe Men, and Deadliest Catch usually has about 4-8 teams out there doing the same thing, competing with each other!!!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheHarleyMan2 said:
Hey that's cool with me!!! I think several of us here ought to get together and head to Alaska, maybe if we can't get on Dorsey's team, maybe we can put our own together. After all, Axe Men, and Deadliest Catch usually has about 4-8 teams out there doing the same thing, competing with each other!!!

On one condition..... as long as Klondikeike is on our team. :icon_thumleft:
GreyCloud you can provide the financing and join up after your year in Tulsa.

mcscs

Apr 12, 2010
fla
the way I read it the deal was Todd and Jack signed the contract with discovery. Then contracting with the other guys individually. And its Todd and JACK that all responsible for PAYING the others. I'm sure discovery would rather have it that way so that they don't have to deal with a bunch of other people.

Dorsey mentioned Jack takes morphine for chronic back pain. So when James Harnes ran out. Why did they make in suffer for four days instead giving some of Jack's until his prescription could be filled. The reason morphine is used for chronic back pain the dosage can be control easily for the individual and is much less damaging than other drugs. Opiates basically are better drug for long-term use. That's why a Heroin addict in easily live 25 years on the drug

I still enjoy the show and feel it will be much more exciting with 2 teams
Had to make six corrections to this post. Just back from getting an epidural and yes more morphine!!!! And I am using voice recognition so I don't have to type

mcscs but I'm happy PAIN FREE FOR NOW :laughing7: i think :sign13:

mcscs

Apr 12, 2010
fla
I agree that love watching the machinery I wish it would give a more detailed look.
I've been goole ing everything to see how it works. The scenery is unbelievable. I wish they would do it like dangerous catch, I mean deadliest, and a loging show more working and scenes of the machinery with explanations
I guess that's from being a chief engineer on a tug for 20 years. Sure can't figure out how they ran out out fuel I guess it's because if I did that we be in the sh##T
MCSVS

OK AM I can see on getting like a drunk getting home late at night and picking up the phone
c u thurday nite

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoodyGuy said:

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!!!!!!!!! I AM SERIOUS!!! We ought to put a team together and go for it. I don't have anything else to do except research all day long on the computer and play Army once a month which that can be rearranged!

One thing I figured is to cut down on fuels to operate equipment, and housing, the team needs to put forth the equal amount of funds and get solar panels installed to operate some of the things like living quarters, power, etc. That would cut fuel costs down below 3/4 of operation and leave the fuels for neccessary motorized equipment like excavators, vehicles, and some of the mining equipment.

$15,000-$20,000 for solar panels installed compared to double the amount spent for fuel costs for the season for equipment. You know if that generator is running to provide power for the buildings, and anything else running is going to consume more fuel than the costs of solar panels.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheHarleyMan2 said:
GoodyGuy said:

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!!!!!!!!! I AM SERIOUS!!! We ought to put a team together and go for it. I don't have anything else to do except research all day long on the computer and play Army once a month which that can be rearranged!

One thing I figured is to cut down on fuels to operate equipment, and housing, the team needs to put forth the equal amount of funds and get solar panels installed to operate some of the things like living quarters, power, etc. That would cut fuel costs down below 3/4 of operation and leave the fuels for neccessary motorized equipment like excavators, vehicles, and some of the mining equipment.

$15,000-$20,000 for solar panels installed compared to double the amount spent for fuel costs for the season for equipment. You know if that generator is running to provide power for the buildings, and anything else running is going to consume more fuel than the costs of solar panels.

Ouch..... I was just planing on staying in my van to cut costs.
That and eating Beareatoes for Beareckfast :laughing7:

Sorry ..... I cant go.......Like GrayCloud I have commitments until 2012 :(

I like the solar panel idea though especially when it's daylight until midnight.
Is it cloudy much in Alaska?

In some States the total cost of installed solar panels are tax deductible. I would have to check the tax code in Alaska to see what tax credits, grants, or rebates are offered there. Federal tax credits are now 30%.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know GG, but from the episodes there should be enough sun light to run solar panels.

I got a few cases of MRE's that should last me for a couple of months, also plug me up pretty good in case I can't find a crapper anywhere!!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

I figured there should be enough trees around, bring my chainsaw and make a log cabin instead of a fancy house or living in a tent. Should be pretty easy to do and get some metal roofing for the roof! :thumbsup:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheHarleyMan2 said:
I don't know GG, but from the episodes there should be enough sun light to run solar panels.

I got a few cases of MRE's that should last me for a couple of months, also plug me up pretty good in case I can't find a crapper anywhere!!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

I figured there should be enough trees around, bring my chainsaw and make a log cabin instead of a fancy house or living in a tent. Should be pretty easy to do and get some metal roofing for the roof! :thumbsup:

Just borrow my old motor home complete with crapper :tongue3:

redneck-rv.jpg

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Okay, I am willing to put my $2.00 in the kitty. :thumbsup:
All joking aside, I found a Placer Claim in Alaska that was reported to have yielded 90 ounces in four camping trips to the owner last year. The owner is selling due to health issues, which we have all heard before. IT was stated that the only equipment used were shovels, sluice boxes and a 2" dredge. Do not know if it was just a two man team or more. NOW, I fully understand the due diligence and a lot of verifications would have to take place before Old GrayCloud would sign the dotted line. Also keep in mind that a placer claim in that area would only be workable for a few months out of the year. But if all checked out and a visit to the claim was granted, then yes I would be willing to pitch in and be a part of such a venture. This claim was listed in the $80,000.00 range and it actually consisted of several claims joined together for that amount. A small excavator/dozier process plant and power plant would be needed to make the venture worth while and not just a hobby operation.
Also keep in mind that I would only join with likeminded individuals and you all know what I am talking about. Only three to a max of six people should be consider and they all should not be financially dependent on the the success of said operation. I do not want to see anybody suffer from a failed venture. Just something to think about and play with here.
Yes I am be physically committed in Oklahoma till mid 2012. After that, either by myself or in a joint venture, GrayCloud will be going somewhere to get his feet wet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread