Do you ever say anything to those that scare at you while metal detecting ?

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One has to wonder if they were gawking to see if you dug up any crime related weapons!!??

Possibly lol. I got a lot of questions of what the machine was. It was 1993 so detecting and treasure shows weren't common. It was at Washington Shores Village in Orlando which was an extremely high crime area. Wasn't unusual for the entire complex to locked down by the police.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missed opportunities if your defaulting to something negative.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about finishing this thread off with what those staring people might be thinking...

"Wonder if that thing he's waving around would find that wedding ring my grandmother said she lost. If he looks up and smiles, I'm going to ask him about it..." as Tinpan looks up and says "take a pic it will last freakin longer!"

Last edited:

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gawkers are everywhere. For those who believe a response that advertises you are being bothered might lose out on an opportunity. Worse you could insult the wrong person who goes and complains - like in a public park - then some how public detecting is no longer allowed.

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
In Japan, I’d say 98% of the people have absolutely no clue or idea of what a metal detector is. Even if you explained it to them , they could not, WOULD NOT be able to comprehend for even one moment why a person would do such a thing. If I’m not in the mood to talk to an inquisitor, I always say “watashi no okaasan no obake wo mitsukeru. . (I’m looking for my mother’s ghost).
Works instantly every time and without fail. They disappear much like a ghost themselves.

moondog2000

Mar 19, 2010
Beaumont California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT,MXT,GOLD MONSTER 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at San Onofre back when trail 6 was a nude beach. I was detecting near the volley ball area when I dug up a big hit. It was a sand rake.Well this tiny naked man came over and told me I needed to bury it now in a sarcastic voice as it belonged to the volleyball area.I did not like the tone of voice he was using with me so I handed my wife the detector and took my sand scoop from her and told the elf I am not going to bury anything as the sand rake now belongs to me,no name on it. I then told him to leave so he skittered back to his towel. None of this would have happened if he had talked nice to me . When I was done detecting the area I buryied the rake and then smiled at him when I left.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is a man, I take off my headphones, smile, reach into my bag and pull out a 5" x 7" photo of myself, and ask if I should autograph it to his wife or girlfriend/boyfriend. If it is a woman, I simply raise my left hand, point to my wedding ring, and mouth the words, " I'm sorry." :occasion14:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing7: good one Terry

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Every piece of junk I find I cup it in my hand like I don't want anyone to see what it is. I stare at it, glance left and right, then put it in the pouch. That has to make them wonder what I just found.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was approached by two young fellows and one of them asked me "what would you do if we took that detector away from you?" I slowly turned and looked them in the eye and said that I would now get to try out the new gun that I just bought. They turned and departed the park walking briskly.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every piece of junk I find I cup it in my hand like I don't want anyone to see what it is. I stare at it, glance left and right, then put it in the pouch. That has to make them wonder what I just found.

Just wondering what you do when you find something good?
Lol

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally ignore them. Unless they say something to me or come up to me. Then it can go either way.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If hes with his girl friend say Ill wave it on your mouth and lets see how many cavities you have lol. I doont bother anyone no one bothers me..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This shirt also helps.. :thumbsup::skullflag:

Attachments

• hasslijn.png
    hasslijn.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • ItJoTer2.jpg
    ItJoTer2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 48

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
there are some great civil war battle sites in west Atlanta. But any white person might find themselves in a new battle. I would love to hunt those areas but only with a well armed platoon of 82nd or 101st airborne rangers on both flanks.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Just wondering what you do when you find something good?
Lol

I just give it a quick look and put it away when in public view like the beach. You kind of have too unless you want to deal with people thanking you for finding there ring. Yeah right!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorites for kids.
Whatcha doin - electrocuting worms. For some reason they can't wrap their heads around this & freak.
When they drop on their knees to watch right in the middle of my swing. - Careful! that'll shock the pee right out of you!
#1 on my list? Nothing. It gets almost hysterical watching them yelling Hey Mister! thirty five times when you don't answer. One little tubby guy was yelling so loud people on the other side of the park were looking. Glancing out the corner of my eye I could see(god as my witness!) the little guy was sweating and all red in the face. I pulled off my earphone and said "I can't hear you." He then took it upon himself to inform all the other kids & adults I couldn't hear them till he lost interest.

What ever you do!!!!!!! DO NOT tell them you're locating the sprinkler heads!!!!!!!!! They'll help!!!!!!! Kind of a pain filling holes that aren't yours.

Don't forget the electrocuting worms line works on some of the oldsters too!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, got tapped on the shoulder by a cop at a rest area right as I was pulling out a silver dime - he said I was trespassing and told me to leave.

I said "Yes sir!"

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are some great civil war battle sites in west Atlanta. But any white person might find themselves in a new battle. I would love to hunt those areas but only with a well armed platoon of 82nd or 101st airborne rangers on both flanks.

Go further West....I haven't done any real research, but I'm over in Dallas and I guess they went as far as Villa Rica...You'd be ok over this way. :laughing7:

As far as the question of the thread....I don't hunt much in public. So, really haven't had the issue. And even in the past going to playgrounds and schools, we usually went when no one was around...Don't ever remember noticing. Maybe they did and I was just too into looking for treasure to notice.:laughing7:

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell them (in a very polite manner) that I am looking for a murder weapon ! They usually leave quickly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread