North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early 1900's House - A bit of silver shines through

Today I went back to the house where I dug my first Barber quarter a few weeks back. It was toasted in a fire unfortunately. :tongue3:
I detected the backyard this time and was getting pretty bummed out just digging clad and for some reason a bunch of old wood screws. :dontknow: As I gridded off the yard and got closer to the house and old stone well, I started getting some older coins and relics.
Nothing too exciting, but I got a 1944 Washington quarter, two Buff nickels, a 1943"P" war nickel, three wheat pennies, old spoon, vaccine tag, a large decorative hook (any ideas?), and assorted other crappe'.
I haven't found too much of anything since moving to the Asheville area a year ago, but I'll keep plugging away. :thumbsup:
Thanks for looking,
MM

Attachments

• IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0298.JPG
    IMG_0298.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 161
Upvote 5
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES EVERYONE!!!
I made a nice relic display with all the finds for the property owner and gave it to her today. She was so happy and has given me contact names for some of her neighbors now. :thumbsup:
The only thing I kept was the silver quarter.
Happy hunting,
MM

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silvers! I think that the threaded object in the last image (with the reflectors) is a plug to an oldschool hot water bottle/pouch. Check the well for any tossed antique glass or stoneware?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to congratulate you on something no one else has(probably).....living so close to Gatlinburg ! My favorite place. Great finds. I have the same problem as you- living in an area not familiar with it's history. At least we have the net to help us.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silvers! I think that the threaded object in the last image (with the reflectors) is a plug to an oldschool hot water bottle/pouch. Check the well for any tossed antique glass or stoneware?

Thank you. I was wondering what that plug was for. :icon_scratch: I was thinking maybe an old water jug?

No way to check the well. It's filled in. The owners told me it is about 80' deep and the previous owner, a school teacher, filled it in with old school books over the years. They (the current owners) keep adding dirt on top as the books decompose. First time I've heard of using books as a filler. :laughing7:
-MM-

Last edited:
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to congratulate you on something no one else has(probably).....living so close to Gatlinburg ! My favorite place. Great finds. I have the same problem as you- living in an area not familiar with it's history. At least we have the net to help us.

Thanks Dude. :thumbsup: I've been using the net to seek out old places around here. On Ebay I saw a lot of old postcards that showed old houses, parks, and swimming spots from the early days, but even those were only back into the early 1900's. I also go on to Craigslist under the "real estate for sale" section and search properties/ads that have the word "historic" in them. You can find some nice ones that way too. Usually people that are selling their property don't have a problem with me detecting it.
Good luck to you. I hear Gatlinburg is a beautiful city.
-MM-

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well any day you find silver is a good day, MM! :thumbsup: And yes, Gatlinburg is beautiful. Can't believe you haven't been there yet!
Keep going, you're gonna find the old spots. :hello:
Nana

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well any day you find silver is a good day, MM! :thumbsup: And yes, Gatlinburg is beautiful. Can't believe you haven't been there yet!
Keep going, you're gonna find the old spots. :hello:
Nana

Thanks Nana. I say we all head over to Quindy's place. :laughing7:
-DUHg-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread