Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

prospectorYorkPA

Jan 16, 2007
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism III
Not much of a demand for commortiave coins. Coins prices are set by demand. I've always thought early commorative's were a good investment, but haven't seen very much movement in the past few years.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to remember, commemoratives were made to be saved not spent. I expect most of the mintage was saved, and a good percentage kept in mint condition. Circulating coins were kept in mint state in smaller numbers and are more in demand by collectors.

OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Thanks, I bet the demand increases soon, I hope.

-CC

iwas1ncthr

Nov 20, 2007
Chicopee, Mass
Detector(s) used
Soon to have ML SE
It seem s like that for a majority of them. Look at the 2001 Indian head. I bought 10 of them at around $38 and I made out however when the 2005 Prestige proof set came out I bought 5 sets, that's the one with the USMC coin. I kinda lost a little on that seen as how I paid more than what they are worth to this day. I did however make out by owning 2 PF70 USMC proofs from PCGS and the book on them is pretty good seen as how they are top pops. You can never tell which ones are gonna hit but chances are if its a new design then buy a whole shebang just to be safe. When the last year of the state quarters are minted I Will go after about 10 sets each of the proofs with clad and silver and about 15 mint sets. I will also go after the 2009 due to the new lincoln cent which is sure to have errors.

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
Another thing about those early commens is that they are half dollars. Getting a few hundred dollars for a half is pretty good in my opinion. Plus, there are a lot of them. Look at the Texas. It has over over 10 different coins. I collected about 20% of them (including the Isabella) in the late 90's but had to sell them all when my Son was born and my wife got sick. I lost a valuable collection at a fraction of its worth. I still made more than what I paid though. If you collect these, start with the big ones. Like, Isabella, Norfolk,Missouri, and Arkansas. These are single coin collectibles. The others that have so many coins in the set are not worth as much. Have fun with it and they will always gain value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread