eyeballed copper sheathing on Treasure coast beach.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this nice example today south of Frederick Douglas bch.

ForumRunner_20121108_190328.png

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That is very interesting! You're in the right spot! Thanks for posting! :icon_thumright:

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
Stupid question and please understand it is your copper find so it is your story of where it came from, but do homes in the area require copper flashing like in Palm Beach?

Again your find and story so it can be whatever you want it to be.

PK

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No they don't. Also.. I've worked construction here for twenty years and never saw a single piece of copper flashing... please explain. E whatever I want it to be... if you have something to say...say it. I'm no stupid kid. I remember the bad boy club logo in your avitar from the early nineties ..I surfed NSSA and ESA and thought it was ridiculous then.

Last edited:

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JKPK1, usually the 'tell' is the holes in the copper. Square holes equal a shipwreck piece of copper sheathing from what I have learned over the last year and the square holes are visible in GatorBoy's piece and the pieces I have recently found along the beaches. From which ship, who knows since so many went down along Florida.

square hole copper sheathing - Copy.JPG

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The initial use of copper hull sheathing was by the British Royal Navy in the 1750's and there are several English wrecks in the area mentioned in this thread. And the square nail hole reference is also correct and is evident here. Just my two cents, but I would agree that this find does appear to be shipwreck related.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copper sheathing has been put on the tops of pilings with square cut nails.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looks new to me. Also on the left and right are die formed folds. The kind used to make ribs to strengthen the copper sheet and prevent it from bending.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remind me never to bother with this forum. Happy hunting.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would be surprised at what blows off the tops of houses and docks and ends up on the beach during and after a big storm.Not everything found on the beach is from a shipwreck.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. There is an anchor from the late 1700's just off shore and to the north of where I picked this up and I also have a section of rigging from the same beach. I've done my research and have been doing this for years. Have fun guys.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post a pic of the rigging you found.That can be dated.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to say it Gator but it does look modern... I didn't get a good look at your find until I got home and pulled up the photo on my home computer. I was looking at it on my cellphone originally and it was hard to tell...

It doesn't seem to have the "proper" patina for what it's age would be as shipwreck material and the folded edges don't "fit" for having been a square of hull sheathing.

I however was unaware that square nails were being used to secure copper flashing to pilings... Learn something new every day... Never really paid much attention to pilings other than to avoid hitting them with my boat... Hehehe.

Anyway Gator, when you ask people for their opinions on this forum, usually you will get some decent responses mixed in with some not so great ones sometimes. I don't think the guys who responded to your inquiry about this find are being misleading or are trying to rain on your parade so don't be offended by their responses. There are lots of people with varied experience levels on here henceforth, their responses to your inquiries will be varied... But I have found that those that are genuine and knowledgeable here have been most informative.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For my two cents, I think it is a piece of copper sheeting from a shipwreck. Coincidentally, I was doing an inventory of 10 tubs of uncleaned artifacts I have at home and came across the following piece, discovered at Douglas Beach (offshore) in 1992. Several square nail holes in it. Tom
copper sheeting.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That piece as well as mine appear to be from the bow section. That's how it was finished. Here is the rigging. Also..I don't know how it sounded when I posted but..I wasn't looking for an answer to anything. Just. Simply posted an artifact.

ForumRunner_20121111_190356.png

ForumRunner_20121111_190539.png

Here is a couple more of the sheathing just for you guys... the folds that someone thinks our modern are nothing more then where the copper is bent from the ocean prying it back and forth until it finally came off. this piece is also split down the middle because that's where it gave after spending a long time in a bent position on the bow.

ForumRunner_20121111_191049.png

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great pics! Love that rigging! Hope to see more pics of your finds later down the road! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will do..thank you

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more item from the same area. Mabey one of you can help me with this one as I'm still researching it. It appears to me to be a..or at least a part of a medallion. I could be wrong but from a slight bit of white oxidation it may be lead. I belive the Spanish did have lead medallions though I have little info other than seeing a couple in a St.lucie county museum. I'm sorry if I sounded crass on this thread but all those responces should have been directed at a newbee..which I suppose was assumed.

ForumRunner_20121112_194128.png

ForumRunner_20121112_194343.png

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
GatorBoy, perhaps it could have been in a fire. It looks like it may have been melted from it's original form.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread