Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll I hit the 1936 farmhouse property a bit after work today, and came up with an assortment. The only coins unfortunately this time were two newer pennies I found up by the front entrance to the house.
Last week I dug up a 1941 vaccination tag here, and this time I found one dated 1956.
I dug up a crusty key ring with a large group of keys on it. Some of them were rusted and broke off, but there are a few that look somewhat old. See pictures. Any idea?
Found a neat copper engraved top/lid (1 1/2" tall) with a nice patina on it. I have no idea what it is from or how old it is. See pictures
Three pieces from shotguns shells. Age?
Not sure what the iron piece is that looks like a stickman? I'm thinking horse related. Any ideas on this one? Age?
Other than what is pictured, I dug up another ton of old iron pieces including an axe head, a machete, a head of a pick, & two more plow pieces. I'm saving these for later for my "Ironman" display. ;D
Any input on any of the items mentioned above would be greatly appreciated.
Supposed to be 63 degrees here tomorrow. Ahhhhhhhh, you know what that means. More hunting.
Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,065
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,028
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,047
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,048
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 1,060
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,067
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,066
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,065
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,072
Upvote 0

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi m.m. Nice collection of keys and those pressed metal lids are always a nice find. Congats.

t.p

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
hmm that coppy lid looks to be part of a pocket watch...maybe...
lone gunman
ps
nice set of keys ever wonder how in the heck did they get all that stuff open after they lost that set of keys?

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey nice bunch of relics you found there partner. I think the green thing might be a compact case cover, or it could be a watch case. The t thing looks like some sort of horse collar.

I really like the keys. They are great. I'd go back to this site, I bet there is an old coin lurking around somewhere just waiting for you to find.

HH,Ringfinder

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Love those old farm house hunts, a surprise with each dig. Thanks for sharing.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Nice farm finds, MM.

I haven't found any old coins on the Sears farm (yet) either. I think the farmers around these parts were very careful with money.

Have a great time tomorrow. I think I'm going in shorts. ;)

Ridley

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool...def a pocket watch cover. I really like those old contemporary keys!

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Nice finds there! I found a complete bit (You have only half of one) last summer...where the small broken loop is, another half exactly like the one you found would attach.

Mine was found 12" deep in the side yard of a house built in 1783...she's pretty old... ;) Maybe you'll find the other half..... :)

HH, Hank 8)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Very nice finds....I like the Seargent & Greenleaf,Inc key. S&G made all the security systems for banks,government etc since about 1857. Maybe that key is to a bank,safe, or safety deposit box.

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
yes its a horse bit part of a snaffle bit the cheek pieces (rains) would go on the rings and a martingale to keep head carry proper could go to top or both straight piece/s on the side depending on the type used
they still make these in various configurations even have little hanging things inside the horses mouth to play with its changed Little over the years will post pic of mine when i can

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
LOVE those older keys with the scrollwork Miner, and I agree with Ringfinder that it looks to me like a compact case (dunno why it would be holed though)
Keep at it there. I have hunted some older properties that I literally pounded to death before I found where the older coins were.

HH

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the info. I never thought of a pocket watch cover on the decorative round copper disc. It looks very old. Too bad it's in poor condition.
I figured the "T" shaped piece had something to do with horses. I was hoping I had found half of the original Stickman, or "Life Is Good" man. Darn it.
I'll keep looking.
One more thing.....
Does anyone know how much old rusted farm iron is bringing nowadays? ;D
Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• stickman.jpg
    stickman.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 796
  • Life is good.gif
    Life is good.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 841

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooooh! I like all of it but especially the keys!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Did someone already reply to this? Your stickman is half a horse bit.

Full cheek snaffles may have a plain jointed mouthpiece or like this particular bit a variation like copper rollers. The copper rollers help increase sensitivity by promoting saliva flow in the horse’s mouth.

Attachments

• bit.JPG
    bit.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 658
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,
Yours looks a lot better than mine does. Thanks for the info.
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread