Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The general population appears to be overweight. So what.

If Oprah can't maintain a consistent weight, given more money than any other woman, personal cooks, trainers and facilities, but keeps gaining her old weight back, why should I beat myself up?

IMHO the greatest cause of population weight gains are:
  • Hormone rich food supply
  • Genetically modified foods
  • Water polluted by chemical agricultural runoff
  • Water tainted by decades of pharmacuticals flushed down the toilet
  • Water and Air polluted by chemical manufacturing waste

The least problem of the overweight problems are Salt, Sugar and Junk Food. There... I said it. Salt is what makes food taste better. Comfort food is usually junk food status.

Let me keep my Twinkies and Ding-Dongs! And get rid of the Ding-Dongs in Washington!

WE rule........ :)
BB

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
who WANTS to be fat, not me. I was heavier after my daughter was born, I was sluggish, couldn't walk as far, too heavy to darn near get up on waterskis...lol...then I lost the 70 lbs I gained and FELT so much better.

so yea, all the overweights can be fat, but they aren't feeling great and aren't doing alot of activities that many weighing less can handle.

I camp so that means beach, metal detecting for miles, swimming a long time, many hours hikes up mountains. I need to be more fit for my lifestyle...I won't let fat take that from me ever.

if someone is content to be heavier, fine for them....but I sure wouldn't shout for all of this country it is OK to be fat. it is not truly.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Yup.. The inactivity of being a couch potato will pack on the pounds :laughing9:
Never saw those in the produce section at the market, Are they a Hybrid..... :tongue3:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could eat whatever I wanted until about 44, then I got pretty heavy. I, somehow, changed my eating habits to only eat when I actually need calories. If I'm sitting around I don't eat. However, utilizing the brain heavily can chew up a lot of calories; about 20W = 17 (kilo)calories/hr at rest. I don't feel the need to finish what's on the plate and hate the feeling of being full (except, of course, for special occasions or really good food). I'm at the high end of my ideal weight range at the moment, which happens to be what I weighed my entire life up until 44 years of age. It is very simple: eat fewer calories than you use, although easier said than done. There are many reasons why people can become overweight, but each needs to be considered on an individual basis.

"Although the brain accounts for less than 2% of a person's weight, it consumes 20% of the body's energy."

"The average power consumption of a typical adult is about 100 W."

"The human brain is only 2% of the weight of the body, but it consumes about 20% of the total energy in the body at rest."

"Even so, the brain when awake demands a greedy share of the body's energy supply: though weighing about 1/50 of the body total, it may use as much as 1/5 of all the energy that is consumed."

"It's well known that the human brain accounts for about 20% of the total oxygen consumption when a person is at rest, so let us assume that the brain accounts for 20% of the total body energy consumption."

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I'll try to find it, but someone did a report on HFCS and how it effected the body. My grocery store here in Austin has an isle that has imported drinks from mexico. All made with cane sugar. I always buy that stuff... very cheap and very good.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another important factor to keep in mind is where is your fat :dontknow: If it is mostly around your midsection, you're maintaining fat in the most dangerous place. If your fat is pretty much all-around like Jaba the Hut, it's not not safe, but for some reason it has less affect to the heart :icon_scratch: I have also heard the the body's metabolism changes every 7 years :dontknow:

I take in way more calories than I should too, but my metabolism is able to handle it for the most part. I feel good, good energy, no cramps, no pains. At 193 lbs perhaps I am 10 lbs overweight for my height 6' 1", then again at 58 who really cares :laughing7:

I believe in eating everything, but in moderation. A little self control never hurt anyone :tongue3:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB, Oprah worked exceedinly hard to fight a genetic predisposition. I don't think money had much to do with it. The reasons you site have an almost miniscule impact on obesity. Calories consumed minus calories burned equal calories retained. Its really that simple. Well, admittedly its not simple if you can't burn them off. If it bothers you (why bring it up if it didn't?) try eating smaller portions.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuffaloBob said:

If Oprah can't maintain a consistent weight, given more money than any other woman, personal cooks, trainers and facilities, but keeps gaining her old weight back, why should I beat myself up?

IMHO the greatest cause of population weight gains are:
  • Hormone rich food supply
  • Genetically modified foods
  • Water polluted by chemical agricultural runoff
  • Water tainted by decades of pharmacuticals flushed down the toilet
  • Water and Air polluted by chemical manufacturing waste

The least problem of the overweight problems are Salt, Sugar and Junk Food. There... I said it. Salt is what makes food taste better. Comfort food is usually junk food status.

Let me keep my Twinkies and Ding-Dongs! And get rid of the Ding-Dongs in Washington!

WE rule........ :)
BB

I disagree BB, people are overweight because we simply eat the wrong kinds of food and eat more than we exercise.... I am living proof of that.

After hitting 222 pounds at age of 61 and needing to buy the next size up in jeans, a size 40, being too cheap and probably having too much pride I thought, why buy larger jeans, I have plenty of jeans I can wear if I lose a little weight.

Since then I have lost over 40 pounds, and believe me no one loved donuts, icecream, cookies, pies, chocolate and sodas more than I did.... I had a full physical in December 2010, first one in 10 years, doctor told me I was in fairly good health except I needed to lose a little weight and my blood sugar was starting to get high at 115.....He told me to cut down on my sugar or I would be diabetic, I was going to cut back, but decided it was easier to cut it out than cut back so I stop eating as much sugar as possible. I stopped all sugar treats, I changed the foods I buy, checking the sugar content of the foods I buy.

I loved Raisin Bran, but on checking I found there is 12 grams of sugar in a 1/2 cup and I always ate at least 2 cups at a time so that alone was 48 grams of sugar. I now eat Cheerios cereal if I eat cereal for breakfast, as well as that is what I snack on during the day at work, where before it was donuts and cookies.

I loved McDonalds Chocolate Milk shakes, but do you have any idea how much sugar are in one......in the large there is 124 grams of sugar. There are 12.5 grams of sugar in a tablespoon, so that large shake I was eating had 10 tablespoons of sugar in it. Can you imagine sitting down at a table, opening the sugar bowl up and eating 10 tablespoons of sugar, that is what your doing when you drink just one McDonalds large chocolate milkshake.....

Since 12/27/2010 I have not had a single soda, piece of pie, cake, cookie, candy, icecream, donut, snickers bars, dingdongs, twinkies, milkshake or any other of the "sugar treats". Do I miss them sure, some, do I need them NO........On January 1 my wife and I joined a gym and we work out 4-5 days a week for at least 1.5 hours at a time. I am now down to 178, I feel so much better, my wife gets compliments on how good her husband looks I am wearing size 33 jeans, and may need to move to size 32 soon......

My goal is to get my blood sugar back to the mid to low 80's, will I never have a donut or cola again, who knows, I know I want till I reach my blood sugar goal. I still plan to lose another 5 to 10 pounds as I still have fat on my waist.....

It is simple, if we eat more calories that calories we burn we put on weight....Sugar foods fill us up but they are empty calories and we are soon hungry again. I want to be able to enjoy life as I approach my retirement years, and I want to do it with out worrying about being diabetic, heart attacks or strokes........I want to have the energy and ability to detect all day every day if I so choose. I also do not want my wife to be embarressed to be seen with me, especially since she is 20 years younger than I am......

Of course nothing says I want get ran over by a truck hauling bags of sugar to a grocery story..... :laughing7:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not how MUCH you eat,it's WHAT you eat,you are what you eat!GROW YOUR OWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whoa

every person's body is different and foods react different.

so there is absolutely no one 'real' answer to overweight.

you can easily eat boxed mac n cheese and cheeseburgers and fries, exercise some and be thin.

How much you eat vs. calories burned is important....but to maintain optium balance for the metabolism etc. you should eat healthy...and when you do eat healthy you can EAT way more food. I have monster sized salads, triple portions yet calories are so low...I am never hungry lol

I also find many substitutes for favorites....like I bake french fries...no oil frying. I love alfredo, I eat tons of delish sauce on sauteed chicken and broccoli...I don't eat pasta ever. so everyone can find how to eat the stuff they love the taste, and make a healthier version.

eating too few calories, exercising puts some people's body into starvation mode, so it holds onto its fat stores longer...which discourages alot of fad dieters.

so key is stay active at all costs....eat healthier foods and eat alot of them to stay satisfied, eat good fats to stay satisfied and limit the junk foods severely. this works for most people...but again, with everyone being so different physically, sometimes everyone has to find that perfect tweak to lose the weight.

I am like TH--he wants energy. that is what the weight took from me. I lost the weight and the energy level came back full speed. I have that sluggish feeling from being overweight.....I am going into my older years with less weight, more energy and just feeling darn good everyday I wake up.

I sure never want to be one of those sleeping with that face mask all night to keep breathing...geez, anyone having to do that because of weight....wow, what one gives up for the pounds. that would never be me if I can help it.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
There are several things you can do to lose wieight or to keep weight from forming in the first place. First,walk everywhere you go,if you can.Walking is the best exercise for people,our bodies were built to walk. Second,you can eat all the fresh vegetables you want,very low calories and good nutrition.It actually takes more calories to eat celery,than you get from it.Third,there are three things which affect your blood sugar more than any other,potatoes,onions,and grapes.The best thing you can eat for high blood sugar is a high protien meal,steak,fish(salmon,trout),peanut butter,sweet potato, and always use cinnamon,it helps to stabilize your sugar. You can eat some potatoes,onions and grapes,but in very small quantities. Also use vinegar as much as you can on foods. Good Luck. rockhound

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
calisdad said:
BB, Oprah worked exceedinly hard to fight a genetic predisposition. I don't think money had much to do with it.

No offence, but that's what 99.9% of the fat people in the world say.

"It's a hormone imbalance or a thyroid or glandular problem". Yeah, right!! LOL!! I think that's supposedly to blame less than 1% of the time..

If people want to tell themselves that B.S., fine and dandy, but I'm not gonna lie to myself, I'm a fat ass for the same reason she is, because I eat too much and don't exercise! LOL!!

Regards,

Sky Pilot

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea it is basically open mouth, insert junk food and then don't move
MOST times that is the truth....who is anyone kidding?

but of course there are exceptions with people on meds, and other problems...but mostly fat is something a person can control...and WON'T

hey it is hard....everyone loves something disgusting yummy and we shove it in our mouths.

that food is a short comfort vs. a long haul of changing a diet, exercising and watching pounds comes off at 2-3 per week. when you have 75 lbs to lose that 2-3 lbs per week is a long darn time and it takes 2 mins to eat something yummy and fast lol

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's not forget the upside about getting fat, it helps the economy :thumbsup:

That's right, like Treasure_Hunter said, pack on the pounds, and buy a new wardrobe :laughing7: You will be throwing in more money to stimulate the economy, just think of the jobs you'll be saving and creating. From the manufacturers that make piece goods for the textile industry, clothing manufacturers, transportation company's, right down to the retail stores, all will gain from your inability to shed a few pounds. :tongue3:

Fatten up America and keep our economy going :laughing9:

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BuffaloBob said:

Unfortunately, "this too, shall pass..."

Back in the late '80s, there was a huge push against smoking. The govt was bringing lawsuits against major tobacco companies, and parents smoking around their kids (second-hand smoke) was being pushed as a new type of crime (also punishable by taking kids away from parents). In the end, except for raising the price of tobacco products, everything remains the same.

Back in the '90s, there was a huge push against drugs. The govt was gearing-up for the drug wars, and parents doing drugs around their kids was being pushed as a crime (neglect/endangerment) with forced removal of the kids from the druggie parents. In the end, parents doing drugs was determined to be a "lifestyle choice", the kids were left in the home AND... everything remains the same.

In the '00s, almost everyone bought a home with a bad mortgage, securities firms and banks started to fail, and even though parents were homeless, their kids were allowed to be homeless, too. Everything remains the same.

Now in the '10s, fat parents with fat kids run the risk of being involuntarily separated from each other by the govt. In the end, my guess is that everything will remain the same...

YMMV

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most times it is a personal choice, if someone chooses to be fat by eating the wrong kind of foods and in massive quanties with no real excerise they are going to become and remain overweight.....

Sadly many parents are also making that choice for their kids as well, I see way too many kids who like their parents are way overweight. If you look at their grocery carts you see why as carts are full of high sugar cereals, sodas, chips, cookies and other junk foods that are just empty calories.....These parents are setting their kids up to be fat their whole lives and to have health problems before they are even adults... :(

I just know I look and feel a lot better after losing 40+ pounds.... ;D I am not hungry, I do not feel like I am on a diet and I found I have no problem enjoying life with out all the sugar and junk food....

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter, I both agree and disagree with last comments. Yes, parents do buy sweets for the kids, sugared cereals, etc.. I think most of us had those luxuries as kids, but I stayed thin through good healthy exercise. It is a combination of good eating a exercise, and then you can also have your sweets.

Another good thing about hanging out with overweight kids is that we thin ones considered them expendable, canon fodder.

Do something stupid and run, they were our sacrificial lambs :tongue3:

See, there is an upside to everything, you just have to look for it :thumbsup: :laughing9:

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Treasure_Hunter, I both agree and disagree with last comments. Yes, parents do buy sweets for the kids, sugared cereals, etc.. I think most of us had those luxuries as kids, but I stayed thin through good healthy exercise. It is a combination of good eating a exercise, and then you can also have your sweets.

Another good thing about hanging out with overweight kids is that we thin ones considered them expendable, canon fodder.

Do something stupid and run, they were our sacrificial lambs :tongue3:

See, there is an upside to everything, you just have to look for it :thumbsup: :laughing9:
Just like Bear Hunting..

Always go with someone you can outrun.. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread