🥇 BANNER Favorite site finally gives up silver!

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the dogs for a hike this morning and stopped by my favorite site. Went there last week and got a large cent and a king George. Today was thinking I need some silver and I got it 1796 half dime. Also pulled this nice 1802 large cent and a few buttons. Thanks for looking.

image-36165562.jpg

image-1996812644.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 23

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find. I just happened to click on this. With finds like this, people NEED to see what you found in the thread title or else people may over look it. GREAT FIND and I nominated it for banner. Congrats.

OP
OP
Greylock

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the banner votes. Can someone just give me the rundown of what banner is?

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Hogge. It's a great coin, but unfortunately with the hole I would guess that it's value would be exponentially reduced to that of a "place filler" in a collection. I'm sure there are experienced collectors out there that can offer better insight than I can...I just know that a holed coin's value is significantly reduced unless it's a one of a kind "ultra rare" type coin. Not trying to take anything away from this find as it is a stunning coin all around. Congrats to the finder (and nice dogs!!!) :icon_thumright:

As to why it's not on the banner....IDK, my carnelian domed silver thimble I found in England at the end of the summer got lots of banner votes and was the first one ever posted on TNET and there are none on the UK Finds Database...why didn't that make the banner? It was a gorgeous find nonetheless! My diamond engagement ring with full rich story found in the dirt this summer was much better looking (and verified to be real) than one that a guy found in the surf that made banner (not even verified to be real) a few weeks before. I guess the answer is site politics. :icon_scratch:

Reality check...New Guy. I would be VERY surprised, given condition, and damage, that he would get 2. That's just the way it is.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's that thing along the top of the forum with the little pictures of finds. It's essentially an honor of sorts and worth what you paid for it :laughing7: Coins (as in almost any gold coin no matter the condition) and civil war relics seem to carry more weight. There are a few things that make it up there that truly are extraordinary finds. (OK, I'm putting my flak jacket on now people :tongue3: )

Thanks for all the banner votes. Can someone just give me the rundown of what banner is?

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
hole or no hole, that's still a $1,000 coin and probably even more. Easily banner worthy - and worth more than some gold coins that make it...

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree and probably much rarer as well. I don't get the logic in putting up almost every gold coin that is found and some of the other things that do and don't make it up there, but I digress :laughing7:

hole or no hole, that's still a $1,000 coin and probably even more. Easily banner worthy - and worth more than some gold coins that make it...

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other

Don't worry about the banner. People take it way too seriously around here. There is not rhyme or reason as to what finds are selected to the banner. Just take the "banner" votes as a good indication that you made a killer find and be happy with that. Congratulations, again.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry if it doesn't make banner. There have been finds, including a couple I have posted that I felt worthy that never make it or even get many replies. Take it for what it is...a great find that not many will EVER find. Congrats again.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should be on the finds Banner. FANTASTIC recovery there!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer coin!!!!! i voted banner... that's a find of a life time!!!!

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I voted Banner also. What a great find. Curious what detector were you using, and how deep?

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Beautiful silver and an awesome find!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS on the banner Tom! From what I've seen that you have found, you're destined for more! GOOD LUCK! Todd

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't worry about the banner. People take it way too seriously around here. There is not rhyme or reason as to what finds are selected to the banner. Just take the "banner" votes as a good indication that you made a killer find and be happy with that. Congratulations, again.

Preach! Well said.

OP
OP
Greylock

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone again. I actually have a bounty hunter but I borrowed a friends minelab Excalibur 800 to try a better machine. Everything at this site is fairly deep I found the half dime at 7". I've been looking to get a better machine. any suggestions?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread