Feb 3-9, 2008. My first visit to the Treasure Coast

camcolo

Mar 17, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Whites Beach Hunter TDI
Thanks for all the feedback on an earlier post. I finalized my airline reservations and will be getting 6 days to explore the beaches from the Cape to the south. I am going to stay in the Ft Pierce - Vero Beach area. Probably at the Sandhurst or Royal Inn. I have to have internet access in case some business comes up. Anyway, my wife told me to go by myself so I do not have to rent a second car or be looking at my watch while I am with her wondering when I can sneak away. Anyway, I think I will be hiking a lot of the beaches and trying to get to some less detected areas.

I appreciate the people on this site for motivating me. It was a toss up between Arizona (gold) and Florida. I figure that I have to go visit family in Arizona in March, so I will take a day or two and head out NW of Phoenix. I just have to do a little business on these trips so I can write them off!

Thanks for all the location hints. I have purchased 5-6 books, including Singer's Shipwrecks of Florida. maps, and printed some Google Earth shots to identify some access and potential hunting areas. I hope to run into some other people out detecting. Maybe even check out a couple of the off-shore salvage boats! Yea, I am peaked and wanting to get out of the snow and to warmer weather for a week.

Curt from Pine, CO

Upvote 0

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Curt, noseems are about the size of a small freckle and they bite, they live in the grass and bushes. I was at my doctors last month and his nurse had just been to Orlando with the family and was telling me about it. She goes we were walking around and I kept having something bite my ankles but I didn't see anything. I go well I guess it was the noseems, she goes the what ?. I explained to her about them. She had a good laugh and was going to go home and chew out her husband for telling her it was her imagination. Skin so soft also works on them. When I first went to Florida in 86 I stayed at the Sebastian Inlet state park and was eaten alive my first nite by them. The ranger told me about them the next day when I ask what it could have been. I believe that chiggers are called "Red Bugs" down south, I don't know about Florida but they are called that in Georgia and Alabama. And if memory serves me correctly I don't believe that they live in Florida. Jason should be able to tell you for sure.

OP
OP
camcolo

camcolo

Mar 17, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Whites Beach Hunter TDI
They sound like chiggers (red bugs). Nasty little buggers. I once went through tall grass at a lake in Oklahoma. I must have had 30-40 of them. Put finger nail polish on them. Nothing really helped, but gave me new respect. They must be related to no-see-ums. Get under the skin and really itch. It sure is weird to look down the beach for miles and know that it is open to metal detecting! I gotta tell ya, after looking out at feet for snow for a couple of months, this is like heaven. I wil have to take water and snacks and start walking the beach. I will see if my lowly DFX is up to it. I see a lot of posting about PI detectors, but I feel that with a few adjustments, my DFX will run a little hot, but work well. As everyone knows.... A day out MD'ing is better than almost any other (we do have to keep a perspective). Thanks for the feedback!

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
No-See-Ums (AKA sand fleas) are worse than mosquitoes three ways: They don't need water to breed. They fly through mosquito net. They ignore some bug sprays.

To be sure to deter the little dears, I recommend Muskol, Yukon Jack or Deepwoods Off. Take a good shower when you get back to civilization. HH

Chip V.
Oh, and don't use perfume nor shaving lotion. That's like putting out the welcome mat.

Mitch1FL

Oct 6, 2004
Sebastian, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI1500/AT-Pro/Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Curt, looks like I am going to miss you bud, sorry about that. Been doing a diving job in Texas (no treasure hunting.....er....none that the state knows about :D ). J/K Hope you have a good time out there...I'm sitting offshore looking at oil platforms through the fog right now, it's pretty cool. With the money they are paying me, the experience I'm gaining, and the sea time I'm getting towards my captains license, I probably won't be back until April. LOL

Find Riverside Marina and go wandering around there, you'll see several really impressive treasure boats. Sorry I couldn't give you the tour....the no-see-um advice you got above is the way to go, I prefer skin so soft because it's not as harmful to you as the high powered mosquito repellants. Sorry for my absense, maybe next time.

Jason

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Been visiting my daughter down in Boca, here from snowed in Chicago. Just got back into MD and have visited Hollywood and the Commerical Ave Beach. Brought a DFX along, but I'm new with the machine. Some minor finds. Thinking of making the trip north tomorrow ( Thurs Feb 7th) for the day and try the beach south of the Sebatian Inlet. Any tips, advice, etc? I know its short notice but I squeezed in an extra day (Thurs). Thanks, Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions