Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This big worn out beauty is the absolute LAST thing I expected to see at the bottom of the hole.

FINALLY after 35 years I have my FIRST seated Half dollar. Yep...I know...it's worn out...but I couldn't care less.

I had called my bro... the Yeti....but he had some family stuff to do and couldn't come with me.

When I got done with my mowing....I contacted Darrell (SwampThing) so we could do some hunting.

Luckily my brother had mowed most of dad's lots this time...so in 3 hours I was done. :icon_thumleft:

We went to Darrell's cabin site and the grass was mashed down from all the farm equipment in use.

We hunted nearly 3 hours before I got a hit worth investigating. It ended up being the 1890 Injun from 9". :headbang:

About 1 hour later I got my second...and last hit for the day.

I was hoping for a silver 3 cent piece as I don't believe I have ever found one of those. I remember reading somebody's post about how theirs hit...and it was similar to what this one was doing....kind of riding down the far right edge of the smartfind screen.

I called over "Heavy D" :laughing7: ...and he agreed it was a strange hit...but did have a silver "warble" to it.

We got down about 7" and hit a big root. I then dug a little tunnel underneath it so I could run the probe.

At about 9" the probe sounded off...but it was a little broken up with the tone. :icon_scratch:

We carefully dug around the root so we could get the hole larger. We are out in the middle of nowhere...so a messy hole ain't gonna' hurt nothin' :laughing9:

There was one little part of the root that was stubborn ??? ...so I gave it one quick push with the Predator digger... but it slipped off the root and smacked off of something hard in the hole 8) ...UH OH! ???

I then caught the edge of a big rim peeping out from under the root :icon_thumleft: .....so I immediately knew it wasn't a 3 cent piece. I saw it was slightly on edge. Not straight on edge...but enough so that it made the probe sound funny over it. I also then realized that I had nicked it DEEP with the Predator digger!

I was thinking seated quarter because Darrell and I have pulled some 2 centers..seated...half dimes..bust dimes..and more from here.

"Heavy D" ;D tried to stick his big mitt in the hole...but I popped him on the knuckles with the Predator :laughing9: and said..."Let me have the honors on this one bro"

I scraped around the dirt and then realized it wasn't a quarter rim...it was BIGGER still. :headbang:

I snatched it out of the hole and then started trembling because I knew it was a half.

The dirt was caked on it pretty good and I didn't want to rub it...but then the excitement got the best of me.
I gave it a rub so much of the crusty dirt came off and I could see the BIG outline of a SEATED LADY! :hello2:

Holy crap....a coin I never thought I'd find!

Darrell and I have hit this spot MANY times over the last couple of years...but if you are patient enough to understand you might dig only one or two coins in 4 hours...if ANY...then there is always hope of it coughing up a keeper.

When I got home I rubbed it a little more to get some more of the dirt crud to crumble off of it..and I then saw where I had clearly nicked it..and nicked it quite well I might add 8) ...right along the bottom between the F and D...and all the way to the bottom rim! In fact it's not a scratch...it's a deep gouge...but I can't help it...the predator stabbed it good when it slipped off the root. ::) OH WELL...It's MINE...I DUG it...and it's my first seated half EVER! :icon_thumleft:

Darrell got what we think is another 2 center for him...but it looks more like a greenish, rusty slug right now...so he has it soaking in oil.

Anyway...thanks for sharing this with me...and good luck on your next hunt.

Attachments

• coins240.jpg
    coins240.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,373
  • coins241.jpg
    coins241.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,361
  • coins242.jpg
    coins242.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 1,358
  • coins243.jpg
    coins243.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,366
  • coins244.jpg
    coins244.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,357
  • coins245.jpg
    coins245.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,355
  • coins246.jpg
    coins246.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,342
Upvote 0
OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vermonster said:
:icon_thumright:Very nice find Keep on huntin
Thanks buddy

Born2Dtect said:
Way to go! The only thing better than silver is BIG SILVER!

Ed D.
Thanks Ed

wyattrr said:
Holy Smokes...You're still pulling off crazy finds. VERY IMPRESSIVE :thumbsup:
Thanks Wyatt. I wish I could hunt more...but things are hectic right now.

bootstrap vinn said:
Alright Silverfreak,I'm so stoked for you bud!!!Found my first two years ago after 25+ years so I know where your coming from,WOOHOO!!! WTG, Bootstrap :icon_pirat:
Thanks BSV. I'm happy for you too. I won't soon forget this find.

time4me said:
Congratulations Bryce on that stellar find!!! Just awesome!

Jim
Thanks Jim. I appreciate it.

leslie(nova scotia) said:
From the land of the Bluenose....awesome me bouy! Congrats and scratch another off the must list.
Thanks Leslie. I can scratch it off...but I wish I hadn't actually scratched it. :D

ziphius said:
Oh, you hardly nicked it at all! I was expecting this big gash...Bryce, you really oughta buy a lottery ticket this year, considering the magical luck you've been having with lifetime coin finds. Nice job.

Jim
Thanks brother. I still have my best find hanging around my neck though. :angel7:

camb1 said:
WTG Bryce. Congrats on your First Seated Half. She is a beauty. HH :headbang:
Thanks camb1

Lookn4seated said:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on a spectacular find! I can only wish I find one one day.
Thanks buddy. The way you are popping out the good stuff...you will probably get one :icon_thumleft:

Hunter said:
Awesome find WTG! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks Hunter

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet deal Bryce. Whenever i find a big unknown silver i like to light up a Marlboro light
and take my time seeing what it is. Kind of like coin sex. I haven't been smoking much
this year. Fall is coming. Congrats on a great coin. I am still looking for one of those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread