Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This big worn out beauty is the absolute LAST thing I expected to see at the bottom of the hole.

FINALLY after 35 years I have my FIRST seated Half dollar. Yep...I know...it's worn out...but I couldn't care less.

I had called my bro... the Yeti....but he had some family stuff to do and couldn't come with me.

When I got done with my mowing....I contacted Darrell (SwampThing) so we could do some hunting.

Luckily my brother had mowed most of dad's lots this time...so in 3 hours I was done. :icon_thumleft:

We went to Darrell's cabin site and the grass was mashed down from all the farm equipment in use.

We hunted nearly 3 hours before I got a hit worth investigating. It ended up being the 1890 Injun from 9". :headbang:

About 1 hour later I got my second...and last hit for the day.

I was hoping for a silver 3 cent piece as I don't believe I have ever found one of those. I remember reading somebody's post about how theirs hit...and it was similar to what this one was doing....kind of riding down the far right edge of the smartfind screen.

I called over "Heavy D" :laughing7: ...and he agreed it was a strange hit...but did have a silver "warble" to it.

We got down about 7" and hit a big root. I then dug a little tunnel underneath it so I could run the probe.

At about 9" the probe sounded off...but it was a little broken up with the tone. :icon_scratch:

We carefully dug around the root so we could get the hole larger. We are out in the middle of nowhere...so a messy hole ain't gonna' hurt nothin' :laughing9:

There was one little part of the root that was stubborn ??? ...so I gave it one quick push with the Predator digger... but it slipped off the root and smacked off of something hard in the hole 8) ...UH OH! ???

I then caught the edge of a big rim peeping out from under the root :icon_thumleft: .....so I immediately knew it wasn't a 3 cent piece. I saw it was slightly on edge. Not straight on edge...but enough so that it made the probe sound funny over it. I also then realized that I had nicked it DEEP with the Predator digger!

I was thinking seated quarter because Darrell and I have pulled some 2 centers..seated...half dimes..bust dimes..and more from here.

"Heavy D" ;D tried to stick his big mitt in the hole...but I popped him on the knuckles with the Predator :laughing9: and said..."Let me have the honors on this one bro"

I scraped around the dirt and then realized it wasn't a quarter rim...it was BIGGER still. :headbang:

I snatched it out of the hole and then started trembling because I knew it was a half.

The dirt was caked on it pretty good and I didn't want to rub it...but then the excitement got the best of me.
I gave it a rub so much of the crusty dirt came off and I could see the BIG outline of a SEATED LADY! :hello2:

Holy crap....a coin I never thought I'd find!

Darrell and I have hit this spot MANY times over the last couple of years...but if you are patient enough to understand you might dig only one or two coins in 4 hours...if ANY...then there is always hope of it coughing up a keeper.

When I got home I rubbed it a little more to get some more of the dirt crud to crumble off of it..and I then saw where I had clearly nicked it..and nicked it quite well I might add 8) ...right along the bottom between the F and D...and all the way to the bottom rim! In fact it's not a scratch...it's a deep gouge...but I can't help it...the predator stabbed it good when it slipped off the root. ::) OH WELL...It's MINE...I DUG it...and it's my first seated half EVER! :icon_thumleft:

Darrell got what we think is another 2 center for him...but it looks more like a greenish, rusty slug right now...so he has it soaking in oil.

Anyway...thanks for sharing this with me...and good luck on your next hunt.

Attachments

• coins240.jpg
    coins240.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,373
  • coins241.jpg
    coins241.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,361
  • coins242.jpg
    coins242.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 1,358
  • coins243.jpg
    coins243.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,366
  • coins244.jpg
    coins244.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,357
  • coins245.jpg
    coins245.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,355
  • coins246.jpg
    coins246.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,342
Upvote 0

MICHIGANJAY

Dec 28, 2006
MI
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT, Equinox, Excal. 10, Ultra 1000
Primary Interest:
Other
Bro-- Sa-weeet Find. Congrats on the old, large chunk of silver there. That's gotta feel good. I'll wait 35 years if I have to. Heck, I would probably wait even more. Congrats! J.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
What gouge? You call that a gouge? Now look at a certain coin or two of mine & I'll show you a gouge. Why that hardly qualifies as a scratch. ;D

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Nothing!

But I'll babble anyway - Congrats on that outstanding find!!! :o :o :o :o :o :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king:

I'm real happy for you!!!

I'll bet that Merc necklace was vibrating when you pulled that one up!!! :angel11: :wink:

garthbfan169

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Silverfreak that is an awesome find and a great story I esp. like the pop him in the knuckles (hehe) Congrats again brother!! :notworthy: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mpostma said:
So,
Did I tell you how I had a great signal that came and went at the grove this spring?
Solid huge roots covering the signal.

Went home and got my 18 volt sawzall. Cut the roots one by one, sweating my buns off and cutting them all up.
when they were all out of the way it was much easier to get to the old skill saw blade! But, I did not nick it! LOL.

Best of luck my friend,
Mark
:laughing7: Now that's funny ;D

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
halfdime said:
Very nice! Once they find themselves under a root, it's hard not to slice 'em!
Thanks HD.

Old River said:
I am proud for you. Never have I found that old a half. Congradulations, and I hope you find more. HH......
Thanks Old River. I hope you arelucky enough to have your coil pass over one

extractor said:
Drooling on my keyboard as I type !
;D :headbang:

IAsoldier said:
WTG and HH Im still looking for one to. :icon_thumright:
Thanks IA

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Ahhhh, :P

You hardly nicked it at all, :dontknow: compaired to those 1 inch scratches I've seen people put on coins. :laughing9: Awesome job and awesome half worn or not it is a sweet piece of silver. I'm still looking for any kind of silver half dollar. :icon_scratch:

Keep @ It and HH!! ;D :D
Thanks MUD

Wallhangers said:
Excellent! What a coin to dig, congrats!
Thanks Mark

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kimsdad said:
What gouge? You call that a gouge? Now look at a certain coin or two of mine & I'll show you a gouge. Why that hardly qualifies as a scratch. ;D

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Nothing!

But I'll babble anyway - Congrats on that outstanding find!!! :o :o :o :o :o :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king:

I'm real happy for you!!!

I'll bet that Merc necklace was vibrating when you pulled that one up!!! :angel11: :wink:
That merc necklace was quivering like a scared rabbit :angel7:
Thanks my friend

MichiganJay said:
Bro-- Sa-weeet Find. Congrats on the old, large chunk of silver there. That's gotta feel good. I'll wait 35 years if I have to. Heck, I would probably wait even more. Congrats! J.
Thanks J. It was well worth the wait

Dman said:
Congrats! Great find. :icon_thumright:
Thanks D

dfx willy said:
holy crap !!!! ya went out and found yourself a seated half. big congrats mad man. wooohooo!!! willy.
Thanks Willy. It was a shocker for sure :D

Derek752 said:
WAY TA GO S.F. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok ...first the Merc.16D and now a seated halfie !! Next its gonna be buried loot from Bonnie & Clyde !!!

I hope I'm around in the summer of 2044 to see your next first in 70 years !!

Congrats dude !! :notworthy: :headbang: :notworthy:

D.
Thanks Derek. You left out my 1877 Injun :wink: :laughing9:
I wish i could dig up some buried loot ;D

Fistfulladirt said:
That is one big piece of silver SF; congrats - finds like that are what encourage me to get out there and swing!

ffd
Thanks ffd

daytondigger said:
:notworthy: Congratulations, it looks great to me. I would have never noticed the nick had you not mentioned it. And I fully understand how you came to nick it. Roots have led to many of my nicked coins. >:( I've never found a seated half and come to think of it, I don't think I've dug a seated quarter either. :-[
Thanks DoubleD. I guess it's just my imagination...but it looks like a landing strip to me. ;D

rjw4law said:
This is what makes it all worth while, the thrill of the hunt and the find.
Thanks rjw

Dr. Ace said:
Bryce, WTG, buddy! If anybody deserves it, it is you! I'm happy for you. :thumbsup:

HH,

Dr. Ace
Thanks DrAce. I appreciate it buddy.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digginman said:
That's one coin I've never dug.

Congrats Bryce!!! :icon_thumright:

DM
Thanks DM. I hope one jumps in your pouch...and if it does...I hope you don't nick it like I did :hello:

garthbfan169 said:
WTG Silverfreak that is an awesome find and a great story I esp. like the pop him in the knuckles (hehe) Congrats again brother!! :notworthy: :thumbsup:
Thanks GBF. I appreciate it bro. :icon_thumleft:

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
Super dig Bryce, Hope you find another real soon. That nick is no so bad, when I hit a coin it looks like a plow hit it. HH
JDD

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John Deere Digger said:
Super dig Bryce, Hope you find another real soon. That nick is no so bad, when I hit a coin it looks like a plow hit it. HH
JDD
Thanks JDD ;D

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on a spectacular find! I can only wish I find one one day.

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Bryce. Congrats on your First Seated Half. She is a beauty. HH :headbang:

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Oh, you hardly nicked it at all! I was expecting this big gash...Bryce, you really oughta buy a lottery ticket this year, considering the magical luck you've been having with lifetime coin finds. Nice job.

Jim

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Congratulations Bryce on that stellar find!!! Just awesome!

Jim

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Alright Silverfreak,I'm so stoked for you bud!!!Found my first two years ago after 25+ years so I know where your coming from,WOOHOO!!! WTG, Bootstrap :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread