GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had decided this past winter that I was going to get a metal detector in the spring.

Well spring is here so about a week ago I finally got one, decided on an ACE 250.

Tried it out briefly in my yard, but since my house is only a few years old, all I kept pulling up were rusty nails.

The first couple of days I only got a chance to try for an hour or so at a time at a couple of local parks, and then Sunday I finally got a chance to get out for a little longer (3 hours or so) so I tried the wood chips at one of the local schools. Not really expecting too much but figured it would be good practice while I am still learning the machine.

Between the couple of different parks and the school, I have now found 36 coins (5 quarters, 7 dimes, 4 nickels, and 21 pennies), but nothing old.

Now that I am getting used the machine, time to start exploring a bit more. :)

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
keep it up with time you get better. and learn better sites too.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea starting in the wood chips...Easy digging and you learn the sounds and pinpointing too...Love my Ace 250...Good luck!

PATreasureHunter

Mar 22, 2007
Lititz, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
You're off to a great start! what you are doing is perfect....starting in wood chips and tot lots, as you learn the machine. That is exactly what I did in the beginning, and then the payoff is of course, that you have experience and the machine becomes a part of you when you are ready to hit the older sites. Don't forget to post pics of all those great finds! best of luck!!!!!

T

TreasureTales

You've done very well for a beginner. Congratulations! The older stuff will come when you find the older places. And don't forget to return to out-of-the-way parts of the parks once you're more familiar with your detector because those parks might be old enough to hold some good stuff.

B

BIG61AL

You are doing the right thing by learning your equipment. Old coins are on old sites. Try going to a park with lots of people activity. You'll learn how to tune out the trash and hit the good targets by listening. Kept the faith. And we all have this dire to see what everyone else is digging up so lots of pictures

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
GMan,
Good luck in your first mding season! Proceed with caution, tho;....very addicting:)
Just get out and have fun........the finds are out there!

Danglangley...............lol.........i love your avatar :)

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds, Gman! I just got my ACE 250 as well. spending my time in the tot lots.

HH

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Congrats on your new ACE 250. I guess now that your paying your dues, finding the good stuff is just around the corner. Even for us older hunters, we still pick up a lot of trash, it just is one of the things everyone does.

I can't believe how many ACE 250's have been bought this year. Garrett should give Treasurenet a kick back.

Congrats to all of you who have any new detector and good luck. Remember, keep the coil to the soil, Ringfinder

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Great begining. Working the wood chips can sometimes pay off with a ring or two. The more you use it, the better you know it. Welcome to the hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions