fine gold on the beach

Jreiber

Dec 17, 2012
I am new to gold panning. My oldest boy started showing interest in the history of our area (oregon coast) and from there we got in to lookin for gold. Bought a couple pans to begin with and headed to our local beach and found a creek. Almost every pan has showed color buts its so small and hard to remove. So my question is... what is the best was to get the gold seperated from the black sand when the gold is so small? Ive read up on miller tables and though bout tyin it... all the help we can get is appreciated.

ForumRunner_20121217_064431.png

ForumRunner_20121217_064459.png

Upvote 0

walldo

Jun 18, 2012
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Mine lab x terra 305
I had the same problem. The local GPAA club outing everybody was using a Gold cube and a blue bowl for clean up.
I bought a four stack gold cube and have had very good luck .

OP
OP
Jreiber

Jreiber

Dec 17, 2012
Ok i will look into a gold cube... why a blue pan though? Like i mentioned were new at this and had our first experience this weekend so its all listening and learning from here.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You reminded me of the very first time I went panning. It was on a beach in California. We uses battery hydrometers, much like turkey basters to suck it up out of the little streamlets.

You can make a blue bowl or small recirculating sluice quite cheaply. Get a 12 volt bilge pump, a section of eave gutter and some ribbed matting and you're good to go. With the blue bowl you just need a large plastic bowl a funnel and hose fitting and a hot glue gun. Youtube has several videos. Have fun.

OP
OP
Jreiber

Jreiber

Dec 17, 2012
Cool thanks for the info. Ill have to look into the blue bowls too.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
+1 to the Gold Cube

The Gold Cube was made exactly for this and the 4 stack would be perfect for getting at that gold. :)

Congrats on the future fun and memories. :)

walldo

Jun 18, 2012
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Mine lab x terra 305
My beach set up.

Attachments

• image-101230454.jpg
    image-101230454.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 497
  • image-415436554.jpg
    image-415436554.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 412
OP
OP
Jreiber

Jreiber

Dec 17, 2012
Walldo... did you buy that bpue bowl or build it yourself?

walldo

Jun 18, 2012
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Mine lab x terra 305
That beach gold will float if it touches air. I use jet dry in my water. Helps reduce the surface tension of the water with out bubbles.

OP
OP
Jreiber

Jreiber

Dec 17, 2012
ya i found a few on ebay for 100 and 10 shipping for complete kit. Wish i could find one complete without a pump for a good price.. i work at a local marina here and i have quite a few bilge pumps already but oh well

walldo

Jun 18, 2012
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Mine lab x terra 305
My father in-law and I worked right next to some people a cape disappointment this last summer. We had a desert fox wheel and the people next to us had the gold cube. We got a little and the the people next to us got a quarter ounce a least.
Here in Washington you will need a permit to go on the beaches. It is free and good for 5 years.

OP
OP
Jreiber

Jreiber

Dec 17, 2012
I dont belive you need any permits here in oregon to pan or use non motorized equipment on the beach. Might have to have dsl permit but even then from what ive read anyone can pan with no permit on this beach.

walldo

Jun 18, 2012
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Mine lab x terra 305
April 12,13 and 14 I will be at Cape Dissapointment. The local WWGPAA is holding a beach outing.if you are interested let me know.

OP
OP
Jreiber

Jreiber

Dec 17, 2012
Ok... well if we decide to make it up that way ill let you know. Would like to see what people are using and how it all works

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread