fine gold on the beach

Jreiber

Dec 17, 2012
I am new to gold panning. My oldest boy started showing interest in the history of our area (oregon coast) and from there we got in to lookin for gold. Bought a couple pans to begin with and headed to our local beach and found a creek. Almost every pan has showed color buts its so small and hard to remove. So my question is... what is the best was to get the gold seperated from the black sand when the gold is so small? Ive read up on miller tables and though bout tyin it... all the help we can get is appreciated.

ForumRunner_20121217_064431.png

ForumRunner_20121217_064459.png

Upvote 0

WolfgangStiller

Aug 20, 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, ProPointer, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried the Blue Bowl off and on on our beach gold for 20 years and it won't retain the gold. I've also built a Miller table that's fully adjustable with a fancy leveling system and a gate valve for water adjustment and an adjustable gate for the water flow. It's got a slate bed and I've tried hobby mat, bed liner sprays, chalkboard paint, and a few other surfaces and the slate worked the best but I still lost a lot of the gold off the table. That's why the finisher was built. Short of a wave table we haven't found anything close to it for cleanup. It must have to do with the shape of the gold we're getting off the beach. All of the gold is -50 and about 1/2 is -100 that we're dealing with here.

OK, I'll bite. I am always looking for a way to optimize my time and gold recovery. I get mostly very fine gold here in Colorado. Looking at the Finisher, I can't see why this would do better than my chalk board based miller table (which is my current go-to method for final clean-up after getting my gold cube cons). Can you explain your design and why it's better at extremely fine gold recovery from black sand?

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
It's got a texture molded into the plastic, and an extremely smooth water flow that works better than anything I've tried yet for our beach gold. I'm not sure of the shape of your fine gold there but the stuff off our beaches is extremely hard to catch. I've tried slate, chalkboard paint, bedliner spray, hobby mat, rubber, and other finishes, and the texture we have on the plastic works better than anything I've tried yet. If you're getting good recovery with what you're using then I'd just stay with what's working for you, as I don't want to get pushy or seem like I'm trying to twist someones arm into buying something. We've got a beach box and the finisher that's the product of 40 years of messing with the gold we're getting on the beaches here and the black sand I got from Nome when I was up there in '88. But if you've got a system that's working for you stay with it.

Last edited:

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck in ther future pls post pics lol i like to see some

Prospecting P.

Mar 1, 2013
Port Townsend - Tacoma, Washington
Detector(s) used
dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if you screen your material to #30 mesh to #100 you shouldnt loose any gold from the blue bowl. if you are its running to fast. i like to have the bowl running steady about 1/4 to 1/2 inch below edge of outside of bowl then i add my screened material

WolfgangStiller

Aug 20, 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, ProPointer, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug, thanks for the explanation of how it works. It sounds like this might work better for me than my Miller table since I occasionally see some gold that seems to slip down. If I run the tailings again and pay attention, I will capture the runaway gold and I suspect you are right that it's a shape issue. If it's just a little better, I'll stick with my Miller table but I get a lot of people here in Colorado asking me what to use and I'm going to suggest they try your "Finisher". It would be really interesting to see how much better it is than a stock Miller table.

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
I'd really like to hear if you do try it. Always looking for honest feedback. I'd love to come to your area but I can't see it in the immediate future. I keep hearing about the fine gold in Colorado and we'd love to get feedback from that area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread