First Colonial coin for 2008 - 1723 King George I Halfpenny

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since last fall I have been wanting to look for a possible isolated homestead that I spotted the remnants of on a 1930 aerial photo. Today I got my chance to walk to the area. I had to leave my truck and walk thru thick underbrush for about half a mile since the old roads in the area are long gone, just slight depressions that are overgrown with Mountain Laurel.

After almost giving up and not finding the site, I eventually saw an area where the underbrush diminished, which was a sign of a possible long gone field now overgrown! I immediately got some iron hits and then some good targets. Two pieces of Harmonica and a old gilt button told me I was now at the right spot.

I was a little disappointed in the lay of the land. It is very hard to swing a detector, lots of Holly trees, Greenbriar, dead pines and other small trees making easy walking a non possibility. The digging was also very hard, solid roots almost everywhere. Note to self: next trip take my dry wall hammer that has a axe end on it which is needed in addition to the usual pruners I carry with me.

Not long after I started getting the hits I got the typical large copper reading on the Explorer and about 7 inches down I retrieved my first true colonial era coin for 2008. I knew it was a King George I immediately by the distinct design of the rim.

After searching the overgrown field area and deciding that since I had my first coin for the year, I would now turn this hunt into an exploratory one. I wanted to find the cellarhole. After walking a bit, I saw an area off in the distance that had real thick Mt Laurel and Holly but also a lighter area behind it. Yes, there was a big cellarhole! I am positive this site is virgin, but it is so full of iron hits it will be a challenge getting the good targets recovered, but I will.

I forgot my camera on this trip, otherwise I would have some photos of an old site that dreams are made of, I did take pics with my cell phone but I am illiterate on how to get those pics to my email address!

As soon as I can return to this site and hunt I will, since today was just a quick check to find it, I did, now the fun will begin I hope on subsequent trips.

Don

Attachments

• luckruck finds.jpg
    luckruck finds.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 671
  • 1723KingGeorgeI DirtyClean.jpg
    1723KingGeorgeI DirtyClean.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 678
Upvote 0

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
fantastic finds don did you find any black glass or pontiled bottles out there as well love a sight that has redware plates at it

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dgaughan said:
fantastic finds don did you find any black glass or pontiled bottles out there as well love a sight that has redware plates at it

I thought that piece of broken glassware with the two hand crafted star shapes was rather old, I only found the cellarhole at the end of my trip and did one dig next to a old Catalpa Tree (we always called them Indian Cigar Trees) and that is where the pieces of pottery and glass were. I did spot another hole about 20 feet next to the big cellarhole that could be the old well, outhouse area or storage building.. I should get a much better feel of the site for its occupancy period and really hope this site will be good for about a dozen hunts this winter. Even if I have to spend one hunt just clearing and moving fallen trees and cutting paths to walk thru. I have no idea how big it is yet, since the 1930 map I used showed to the south of it near a bigger cleared area related to 19th century activity.

I am hoping this is a site that was occupied for perhaps hundred years and give me the opportunity to find more Colonial coins and relics, Federal period coins(Large and Half Cents/Bust Silver) and relics and even newer Seated Liberty coins and relics. Not too many of those sites exist in our area that are long gone and the few I have hunted in years past have been very productive for variety.

Don

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
sounds like you have yourself a nice little project for the spring or for alittle while longer before the freeze finally hits i would look for an outhouse pit to go along with the well i used to go to brooklyn ny digging outhouses with my father and his friends they were looking for old bottles i was looking for coins usually found some just a thought you drop your pants down sometimes the coins would fall into the pit. sounds like a great spot can't wait to here what else you recover from there

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin Don....1723 George1 half penny(dump issue) is £200 in ef condition in my book :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread