First Colonial coin for 2008 - 1723 King George I Halfpenny

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since last fall I have been wanting to look for a possible isolated homestead that I spotted the remnants of on a 1930 aerial photo. Today I got my chance to walk to the area. I had to leave my truck and walk thru thick underbrush for about half a mile since the old roads in the area are long gone, just slight depressions that are overgrown with Mountain Laurel.

After almost giving up and not finding the site, I eventually saw an area where the underbrush diminished, which was a sign of a possible long gone field now overgrown! I immediately got some iron hits and then some good targets. Two pieces of Harmonica and a old gilt button told me I was now at the right spot.

I was a little disappointed in the lay of the land. It is very hard to swing a detector, lots of Holly trees, Greenbriar, dead pines and other small trees making easy walking a non possibility. The digging was also very hard, solid roots almost everywhere. Note to self: next trip take my dry wall hammer that has a axe end on it which is needed in addition to the usual pruners I carry with me.

Not long after I started getting the hits I got the typical large copper reading on the Explorer and about 7 inches down I retrieved my first true colonial era coin for 2008. I knew it was a King George I immediately by the distinct design of the rim.

After searching the overgrown field area and deciding that since I had my first coin for the year, I would now turn this hunt into an exploratory one. I wanted to find the cellarhole. After walking a bit, I saw an area off in the distance that had real thick Mt Laurel and Holly but also a lighter area behind it. Yes, there was a big cellarhole! I am positive this site is virgin, but it is so full of iron hits it will be a challenge getting the good targets recovered, but I will.

I forgot my camera on this trip, otherwise I would have some photos of an old site that dreams are made of, I did take pics with my cell phone but I am illiterate on how to get those pics to my email address!

As soon as I can return to this site and hunt I will, since today was just a quick check to find it, I did, now the fun will begin I hope on subsequent trips.

Don

Attachments

• luckruck finds.jpg
    luckruck finds.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 671
  • 1723KingGeorgeI DirtyClean.jpg
    1723KingGeorgeI DirtyClean.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 678
Upvote 0

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds very exciting and a great spot for sure.I would like to see the pictures of the site when you get around to it.Congrats on the old coins.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In housesite hunting, the moment when you realize that you've found the right spot--when that first old relic comes out of the ground--that moment is as much of a rush as the rush of making a great find. I LOVE IT! I hope the weather cooperates for you so that you can get back and hit this spot again! Nice work Don, and best wishes for 2008.

-Buckleboy

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,
You Sir are amazing! What a great find. Well worth the hike. ;)
Congrats to you,
MM

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Don,
What a great outing. Congrad's on finding that site. Ill be looking for more
awesome finds.
Keep us posted,
Tennessee Joe

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, not great photos and I evidently did not save the one showing the cellarhole or it is the photo of my thumb one :D. Anyway, here are two phone pics , one of the King George fresh out of the ground and the other the view of the now "overgrown" field area where I found the copper.

Sorry for the quality, but they are cell phone pics. :(

Don

Attachments

• 0113081044.jpg
    0113081044.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 610
  • !cid__0113081125.jpg
    !cid__0113081125.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 579

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on the find and the research Don....Most of the old 1700/1800's homesite's here in the Potomac River area of WV,MD and VA are kinda hard to come by.Way to start off the new year...

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that great find Don.
Hope you find lots more at that site.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great looking finds and spot Don. Glad to see your research pay off wtg. good luck in that spot.
Glenn

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Don. I'm glad to hear you've found another virgin site. I'll be looking forward to some more keeper finds coming out of there. I can't wait for spring. :D

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Don. That DOES sound like a dream site. You're going to have a lot of fun in the coming months...

Cheers and HH,
Bman

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Don,best of luck,looks like there should be some really great stuff there !

donny nj

Jan 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Don!!

probably much more out there

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Now thats a great old coin! Can I ask what the spade shaped item is in the first picture?

I can't wait to see what else you pull out of that site, it looks like a promising area.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Don. it looks like you are starting 08 right where 07 left off...diggin' those colonial coppers. Boy I wish I had something like that around here. Odds ain't real good of pulling one of those out of my 100 year old parks ;D

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don, as always great find. Best of luck in 2008. I may just have to relocate to southern Jersey but then I would have to leave my Giants and Devils and start routing for the Eagles and Flyers...lol.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread