First day

fast89pony

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Today my first first metal detector was delivered and I couldn't wait to get home from work and open it up. I'm on a tight budget and just wanted one to get things rolling so I got the Bounty Hunter Quick Silver. Nothing special but I'm a beginner on a budget. I live in Boynton Beach Florida which is in Palm Beach County. So I headed straight to the beach with anticipation. I actually had a hard time sleeping last night I was so excited to start detecting today. I guess its from the past 2 years of reading all the great finds on this forum! The first half hour not a single beep. Boynton Beach is pretty busy during the summer time but right now not to many people and it was late in the day so the whole beach was almost vacant. I went over to some wooden chairs that are always at the beach to rent to see if anything was around them. As soon as I got to one a got my first beep. Man it felt good. To bad it ended up being from one of the bolts holding the chair together. A few more minutes of searching a couple of aluminum signals put up and unfortunately it was just some beer can pieces. I tried the volleyball courts and surrounding but nothing. The sun was getting real low and light was fading fast so I was wrapping up in front of the dune when I got two hits and these two pieces were found. Nothing special but better than beer cans and bottle caps. I think this weekend I'm going to go up to Sebatain and hit big. Lol. Should be fun though. I'm already hooked!

Attachments

• DSC00935.JPG
    DSC00935.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 662
Upvote 0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is a start. good scrap recovery . welcome to the T net... i would upgrade to a 10 in magnum coil. 40 buck or so.. it will help a ton.. best of luck MR TUFF

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Sorry to hear your first time out wasn't productive, but like I say. As long as you have fun, anything you find is bonus. Sound to me like that beach has been hit by others with detectors. You might try some schools and parks near you. Don't give up. THings will get better.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all finds can turn into money. Get a couple 5 gal buckets and when you come home sort out your trash into the buckets. Then at the end of the year take it and sell it at the recycle center....Matt

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have really old schools yards by you hit those last summer my buddy and me asked if we could do the 1896 high school field its huge !! we couldn't take 3 steps with out getting a signal we filled a 2lb coffee can in 6 days with coins mostly clad a few good jewelry finds and a few nice silver coins and IH,s, yes hundreds of pull tabs :laughing7: as far as the grounds keeper knew no one has ever MD that field hes been at that job 35 years . We did only half the field then winter set in :( :thumbsup: HH Jim

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net. Try planting a coin garden in your yard where you can listen to different coins at different depths and get used to how sharp the tones response is on coins, plant a pull-tab and bottle-cap too so you can hear the difference. Remember to always fill your holes in too. ;D

Better finds will come soon and often for you as you get more used to what your detector is telling you in audio. :icon_pirat:

Happy Hunting, BeachBumm

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BeachBumm said:
Welcome to T-Net. Try planting a coin garden in your yard where you can listen to different coins at different depths and get used to how sharp the tones response is on coins, plant a pull-tab and bottle-cap too so you can hear the difference. Remember to always fill your holes in too. ;D

Better finds will come soon and often for you as you get more used to what your detector is telling you in audio. :icon_pirat:

Happy Hunting, BeachBumm
What you said is true get to know the audio signals but my DFX still dont know the difference even with a great custom deep silver program between a pull tab or a 18k wedding band using mixed mode its either dig all or miss a good find ,this season ill be going back to that field with my Minelab Sovereign GT that machine knows the difference :thumbsup:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep it's official ......YOU GOT THE FEVER......ain't it great :tongue3:

Welcome to TNET an to the greatest hobby there is , you have to remember your never gonna make your fortune in gold , silver , an treasures your first time out . I will give you a bit of good news tho your allready on the right track for gold ,those beer can scraps your machine keeps picking up is a good thing that means it will hit the gold an let you know if it finds it :icon_thumleft: Now get back out there an get it ;D
If you have any schools or kids play grounds nere by go hit em you'll be amazed at what you'll find plus you'll get alot of time in learning your machine , an if all else fails just find fun in the hunt .Befeore you know it you'll be hittin good stuff , just listen to what your machine is telling you .

HH Tank :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
fast89pony

fast89pony

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Thanks everyone for the welcomes. I think im going to try this old abandoned railroad station today. Seems like a good place.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Welcome to the world of MDing, yeah remember there's good days & bad days but each time you get you're a little more experienced. I've seen some excellent finds with the Bounty Hunters, Good Luck on your next trip out !!! :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi FastPony.....welcome to the most addictive hobby ever. But, it's a fun type of addiction, not a destructive one. :icon_sunny:
I've been at it for over 40 years......began in Idaho. And my first time out was much much similar to yours. But, no problem.
It was the beginning of a great adventure. Now I am in S. Korea, been hunting here for over 30 years.
You'll enjoy it, even when you don't find anything......or you find very little. And there will be the days you will find the great stuff.
You've got the right attitude. I hope to see some great posts from you.....beginning with that abandoned railroad station.
That place has possibilities. :thumbsup:

DixieHunter145

Oct 12, 2008
Hanceville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 w/ YF-1 Invader Probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hikeinmts said:
welcome to the most addictive hobby ever.

It is in fact the most addicting hobby on the planet. :D
Once you get your detecting fund up a bit, I suggest a Ace 250. I have a YF-1 Invader Probe with mine and I would be lost without it.
Also if you do in fact buy an Ace 250 look into the "sniper" coil ($74.95). The sniper makes it a whole lot easier to find coins in trashy areas. Welcome to the sport and good luck.
HH,
Dixie

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
I'm originally from the same neck of the woods, from Hollywood to Boca to Deerfield. Lot of competition around there, so your timing is important. My only recommendation, due to my own experience, is g-o-v-e-r-y-s-l-o-w-l-y on each swing. I have gone over my own land three times, each time slower and more patient, and every trip yields more coins, thimbles, buckles, religious pieces, that I definitely went over before, maybe up to five to ten times in some places, like right outside my front door, where I set the machine up before each outing. Do some tests with your new machine by burying different objects to see what happens and what you can learn.

GOOD LUCK! and Have Fun....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your already hooked with just a scrap hook, your on to a winner :D

:hello: from the UK (treasure island :laughing7: )

fishkiller41

Feb 19, 2010
Jupiter Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well pony, at least now u know what you're listenin for!!
I don't have a MD, YET. I'm looking for a descent used one. (on a severly tight budget)
I grew up in Jupiter and live in Cocoa now.
I have family in WPB and Hobe Sound, so the beach hunting possibilities for me are endless!!
Good luck and HH!!

Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread