wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold coin back.jpg gold coin front.jpg
Found this yesterday at an area that has been previously detected judging by someone not filling their holes very well.
Anyway I found this gold coin with bezel to be worn on a necklace, it was right off a well-worn path. I was using my AT pro and hit a signal around 72, A few inches down, the signal was pretty clear and not scratchy like a bottle Which would normally read around this number. This is a very trashy area but since there was a lot of shale in the dirt objects were not very deep I figured I would dig anything that had a clean signal over 50 on the pro.

It is a 1993 1/10 ounce .999 gold "coin" This was the first year for this particular series of coins featuring Hawaiian King Kamehameha

I would like to scratch off finding a gold coin from my metal detecting bucket list but I want to know if finding a gold coin that was obviously worn as a necklace still count as finding a gold coin.

Would you consider it still finding a gold coin? What do you all think??

I'll probably never find another one in my life..lol :3barsgold:

Last edited:
Upvote 25

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A find can make banner for many different reasons. There are no set banner rules. They can make it because they are a rare find. How many of these have you seen posted on T Net? Ive seen many gold coins posted on here but this is the first time Ive seen a coin like this posted. The banner is a place to show off cool finds, some people take it way to serious.

sorry. though you are defending a 'banner' vote you claim you are not voting banner. above is your reply to my post. I apologize for not 'hearing anything you said'... :laughing7:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright maybe it's not banner, but it's definitely a great find!

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry. though you are defending a 'banner' vote you claim you are not voting banner. above is your reply to my post. I apologize for not 'hearing anything you said'... :laughing7:
Im defending everyones right to vote banner. Even though I might not think something is banner worthy I m not going to tell someone they shouldn't vote banner. That's what you are doing. To make banner it has to get lots of votes and pass other criteria, so if it goes up on banner it deserves to be there. Just because it doesn't meet YOUR standards doesn't mean it should not be a banner find. You want the banner finds to be only old historical finds and that's just not what the banner is.

Last edited:

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would call it a "medallion" because it was sold as a souvenir. Not a coin as it don't have any face value stamped on it.
Nice find.

<-------GOLD--------<

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your find, your decision. I'm pretty sure though when a gold coin turns up for you, you will move this 'filler' out of the way, mostly because of the doubt.:thumbsup: Maybe one day I will get a piece like this to fill my gap.

Keep hunting & posting.

lol Filler, I would do just that, but for now its the only gold coin/bullion what ever people want to call it I have found, and I dig a lot of trash to find anything good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread