wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold coin back.jpg gold coin front.jpg
Found this yesterday at an area that has been previously detected judging by someone not filling their holes very well.
Anyway I found this gold coin with bezel to be worn on a necklace, it was right off a well-worn path. I was using my AT pro and hit a signal around 72, A few inches down, the signal was pretty clear and not scratchy like a bottle Which would normally read around this number. This is a very trashy area but since there was a lot of shale in the dirt objects were not very deep I figured I would dig anything that had a clean signal over 50 on the pro.

It is a 1993 1/10 ounce .999 gold "coin" This was the first year for this particular series of coins featuring Hawaiian King Kamehameha

I would like to scratch off finding a gold coin from my metal detecting bucket list but I want to know if finding a gold coin that was obviously worn as a necklace still count as finding a gold coin.

Would you consider it still finding a gold coin? What do you all think??

I'll probably never find another one in my life..lol :3barsgold:

Last edited:
Upvote 25
OP
OP
W

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to anyone nominating for a banner, I'm not even sure what that is but I'm sure its a good thing..lol
I just like posting what I find to show others that places that are medal detected heavily still have goodies under foot. : )

OP
OP
W

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah, that's not a gold coin, send it to me and you won't have to worry about it anymore!...Of course that's a gold coin, enjoy it. :notworthy:

lol. Now thats funny, My friend that I was with who finds these cool locations just shook his head and said it figures you would find something nice . He has the worst luck metal detecting.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm basing my opinion on your past posts. Clearly you have some history of posting dug coins, and I have no reason to believe that you did not also dig this.
I believe that had this item fallen out of the bezel, it would be a coin or bullion. Such a find is less than frequent, therefore, I say it is a Gold Coin find, and a Banner vote for me.

Congrats on your first Gold Coin

HH
MariposaGold

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because its in a bezel doesn't change what it is...its a gold coin...congrats.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excellent find, and .9999 pure at that. congrats!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An exceptionally nice find, but not a coin. A coin is minted for circulation and has a denomination. This is a gold bullion piece. Congrats & HH 8-)
It doesn't have to be minted for circulation to make it a coin...what he has is called a bullion coin...not meant to be a circulated coin but still a coin.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm remembering a 1913 V Nickel that was never minted for circulation sold for over a million dollars. they still called it a coin. And it wasn't even silver or gold. Just Saying.

Eagleye

Mar 19, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705
Garrett sea hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! Congratulations

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't have to be minted for circulation to make it a coin...what he has is called a bullion coin...not meant to be a circulated coin but still a coin.

definition of coin

/koin/

noun

noun: coin; plural noun: coins

a flat, typically round piece of metal with an official stamp, used as money.

synonyms: penny, nickel, dime, quarter; piece
"coins in my pocket"

Wildthunder, it seemed to me ask a simple question, "Is it a coin?"
The simple answer is no. It has nothing to do with being mounted in a piece jewelry or what metal it is made from.
It has no assigned value. Coins are minted by governments with a non-changeable value to be used for currency. This is never the case with a bullion piece and bullion pieces can be in any shape round, bar, etc.
As past president of the local coin club and a numismatist for more than fifty years, I have heard this question asked many times.
The answer never changes. "It is not a coin."

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildthunder,

Actually, if you think about what you have really done, then you have found something rarer than a gold coin. So tick a bullion piece off your list & keep looking for that coin.
I've had plenty of gold coins but never a bullion medallion.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
definition of coin

/koin/

noun

noun: coin; plural noun: coins

a flat, typically round piece of metal with an official stamp, used as money.

synonyms: penny, nickel, dime, quarter; piece
"coins in my pocket"

Wildthunder, it seemed to me ask a simple question, "Is it a coin?"
The simple answer is no. It has nothing to do with being mounted in a piece jewelry or what metal it is made from.
It has no assigned value. Coins are minted by governments with a non-changeable value to be used for currency. This is never the case with a bullion piece and bullion pieces can be in any shape round, bar, etc.
As past president of the local coin club and a numismatist for more than fifty years, I have heard this question asked many times.
The answer never changes. "It is not a coin."
So your saying there is no such thing as a bullion coin? The old Spanish silver coins are called silver bullion coins. Wikipedia says there are coins made for circulation and coins made for collecting called bullion coins...you have a lot of credentials, set me straight.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the gold I'm still searching for my first gold coin.

nscrcr8z

Jun 4, 2011
cullman al
Detector(s) used
v3i/ xl 6000 pro/AT pro, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whether It's a coin, bullion, jewelry or banner worthy or not... it's still a very nice piece that can be proud of , you found it enjoy it. ....
I only hope one day I can find a gold coin

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So your saying there is no such thing as a bullion coin? The old Spanish silver coins are called silver bullion coins. Wikipedia says there are coins made for circulation and coins made for collecting called bullion coins...you have a lot of credentials, set me straight.

There is indeed coins that are bullion, but there is no bullion that is a coin. A piece is either made or minted as a coin or as bullion.
A good example is the Mexican pesos gold coins. They were originally minted as gold coins with the value clearly stated.
Un peso, Dos pesos, etc. and up. Then from the forties for many years, they were minted as restrikes with the original dates and values but were minted as and sold for bullion by weight. Even US gold coins for many years now have been sold as bullion but they are coins with the denomination on them.

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold and round! Counts for me!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is indeed coins that are bullion, but there is no bullion that is a coin. A piece is either made or minted as a coin or as bullion.
A good example is the Mexican pesos gold coins. They were originally minted as gold coins with the value clearly stated.
Un peso, Dos pesos, etc. and up. Then from the forties for many years, they were minted as restrikes with the original dates and values but were minted as and sold for bullion by weight. Even US gold coins for many years now have been sold as bullion but they are coins with the denomination on them.
You say there is indeed coins that are bullion...then that is a bullion coin...read what you wrote...your first two sentences contradict their selves...Coins.net has a section on bullion coins, even the US mint has a bullion coin section on their website...I don't know what your talking about but the original poster found a gold COIN.

Last edited:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find. Congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions