Flu Shots.

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like any other air transmitted bug, you could pick it up anywhere, and unavoidable to pass it on if you have a family...that's life. But if you are fit and strong there is no reason why you shouldn't shake it off, I'm 58 and I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I come down with a bad cold, sure I get the odd sniffle and the sneezing, I just shrug it off and get on with it.

SS

I respect your beliefs about the issue but this is the epitome of why the flu is such an epidemic and why so many people die from it each year.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No healthy person should need a flu shot, I thought it was for people with under lying problems that the flu would trigger, like asthma, or other chest problems. I can understand the elderly getting one, but not a fit person.

SS

"The flu was most deadly for people ages 20 to 40"

The Influenza Pandemic of 1918"

The influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 killed more people than the Great War, known today as World War I (WWI), at somewhere between 20 and 40 million people. It has been cited as the most devastating epidemic in recorded world history. More people died of influenza in a single year than in four-years of the Black Death Bubonic Plague from 1347 to 1351. Known as "Spanish Flu" or "La Grippe" the influenza of 1918-1919 was a global disaster.

In the fall of 1918 the Great War in Europe was winding down and peace was on the horizon. The Americans had joined in the fight, bringing the Allies closer to victory against the Germans. Deep within the trenches these men lived through some of the most brutal conditions of life, which it seemed could not be any worse. Then, in pockets across the globe, something erupted that seemed as benign as the common cold. The influenza of that season, however, was far more than a cold. In the two years that this scourge ravaged the earth, a fifth of the world's population was infected. The flu was most deadly for people ages 20 to 40. This pattern of morbidity was unusual for influenza which is usually a killer of the elderly and young children. It infected 28% of all Americans (Tice). An estimated 675,000 Americans died of influenza during the pandemic, ten times as many as in the world war. Of the U.S. soldiers who died in Europe, half of them fell to the influenza virus and not to the enemy (Deseret News). An estimated 43,000 servicemen mobilized for WWI died of influenza (Crosby). 1918 would go down as unforgettable year of suffering and death and yet of peace. As noted in the Journal of the American Medical Association final edition of 1918.

The effect of the influenza epidemic was so severe that the average life span in the US was depressed by 10 years. The influenza virus had a profound virulence, with a mortality rate at 2.5% compared to the previous influenza epidemics, which were less than 0.1%. The death rate for 15 to 34-year-olds of influenza and pneumonia were 20 times higher in 1918 than in previous years (Taubenberger). People were struck with illness on the street and died rapid deaths. One anectode shared of 1918 was of four women playing bridge together late into the night. Overnight, three of the women died from influenza (Hoagg). Others told stories of people on their way to work suddenly developing the flu and dying within hours (Henig). One physician writes that patients with seemingly ordinary influenza would rapidly "develop the most viscous type of pneumonia that has ever been seen" and later when cyanosis appeared in the patients, "it is simply a struggle for air until they suffocate," (Grist, 1979). Another physician recalls that the influenza patients "died struggling to clear their airways of a blood-tinged froth that sometimes gushed from their nose and mouth," (Starr, 1976). The physicians of the time were helpless against this powerful agent of influenza. In 1918 children would skip rope to the rhyme (Crawford)

https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While all that is tragic and true TH, it was back in 1918, a lot of the deaths were caused by the flu leading to pneumonia, the treatments today are a lot more advanced, the Flu basically got out of control. While I realise some strains are a lot more serious, there is no reason a healthy person should not shrug of the common flu.

In a 2009 paper published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases, Karen Starko proposed that aspirin poisoning had contributed substantially to the fatalities. She based this on the reported symptoms in those dying from the flu, as reported in the post mortem reports still available, and also the timing of the big "death spike" in October 1918 which happened right after the Surgeon General of the United States Army, and the Journal of the American Medical Association both recommended very large (by today's standards) dosages of aspirin.[SUP][66][/SUP] Further, Starko suggests that the wave of aspirin poisonings was due to a "perfect storm" of events: Bayer's patent on aspirin expired, so that many companies rushed in to make a profit and greatly increased the supply; this coincided with the flu pandemic; and the symptoms of aspirin poisoning were not known at the time.[SUP][

[/SUP] Another theory holds that the 1918 virus mutated extremely rapidly to a less lethal strain. This is a common occurrence with influenza viruses: there is a tendency for pathogenic viruses to become less lethal with time, as the hosts of more dangerous strains tend to die out.[SUP][7[/SUP]

I suppose really in the end it depends on the type of strains the flu jab is actually protecting us against. But I do admit it's a very frightening read the out break of 1918.

SS

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fact is healthy young people get the flu and the chance of another pandemic is only few factors away whether it is lethal or not we can only pray.....The common danger us to the young, old and sick but all are in danger.

I don't for a minute believe it is a conspiracy between doctors and pharmaceutical companies ..

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison

The Constitution of the United States of America

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like many things in life, some people learn the hard way. Some people are even more unfortunate and suffer at the indifference and misguidance of others.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fact is healthy young people get the flu and the chance of another pandemic is only few factors away whether it is lethal or not we can only pray.....The common danger us to the young, old and sick but all are in danger.

I don't for a minute believe it is a conspiracy between doctors and pharmaceutical companies ..

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison

The Constitution of the United States of America

No conspiracy needed when cc preservatives are in Most vaccines.

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No conspiracy needed when cc preservatives are in Most vaccines.

Funny how preservatives are such an issue when people argue against the flu vaccine but most of those same people have no complaints about the processed food full of preservatives that they love to eat.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Funny how preservatives are such an issue when people argue against the flu vaccine but most of those same people have no complaints about the processed food full of preservatives that they love to eat.

Am I one of these "same people" you speak of?
To be weary of Your Own Personal Health is my own right..to witness untrained professionals offering Free Shots is quite discerning

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I one of these "same people" you speak of?
To be weary of Your Own Personal Health is my own right..to witness untrained professionals offering Free Shots is quite discerning
Every flu shot I have received was from a trained professional...

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Every flu shot I have received was from a trained professional...

That's good to hear.
How about the folk that can't afford insurance let alone a personal doctor?
I can't hold everyone's hand, however I know the shots are to be administered asap. Not to be shelved for years - so why the 3-5 year preservatives?
Again, not conspiracy, just common sense

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No ill will to anyone who doesn't get the flu shot. I understand everyone has their beliefs and convictions. Just hate to see anyone suffer the heartache of losing a healthy child or loved one to something so easily prevented and because of misinformation. I have seen it more than once.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's good to hear.
How about the folk that can't afford insurance let alone a personal doctor?
I can't hold everyone's hand, however I know the shots are to be administered asap. Not to be shelved for years - so why the 3-5 year preservatives?
Again, not conspiracy, just common sense
The last 3 I received ere at a church, drug store and walmart, all by licensed nurses...

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to smoke like a chimney, and every year I got two solid colds along with bronchitis. Quit smoking cold turkey, not for my health, but because the state was taxing cigarettes to bloody hell, as I recall at the time it was about a dollar a pack tax, and I didn't want to give them anymore money, made me mad, and it was one tax I couldn't be forced to pay. That was a long time ago, and the colds didn't instantly stop, but starting about 20 years ago the colds went away, and my wife and I also started getting flu shots. I hate to cause myself some bad luck, but I haven't had colds, bronchitis or the flu for many many years, and I credit the lack of colds to not smoking. I've had tetanus shots hurt way more than a flu shot, and yes, I've had the flu, and the shot is much better. When it comes to flu, you don't just shake that stuff off. I also got the Polio and smallpox vaccine, and when I was a kid I had the measles and mumps among the other childhood diseases of that time. In those days if a neighborhood kid had the measles or chicken pox, you got sent over there to get exposed so you would get sick and get it over with, and trust me, a vaccination is a whole lot better way to go.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone said they wanted their shots administered by a professional. I'm a professional horseshoer, and I've given lots of shots to horses and cows. Be glad to help out if anyone wants a "professional" to administer their shot, with a size 8 needle right in the buttocks. I should hang out a shingle, Painless Pop, Shots in the Butt.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone said they wanted their shots administered by a professional. I'm a professional horseshoer, and I've given lots of shots to horses and cows. Be glad to help out if anyone wants a "professional" to administer their shot, with a size 8 needle right in the buttocks. I should hang out a shingle, Painless Pop, Shots in the Butt.
Well that makes me think I could do it too! We sharpened those needles on a whetstone now and then to give the blackleg, B complex etc. etc. if they started getting a bit dull. If it pays well enough Bosn I can be the nurse, or if they cry too hard about the needle we could put em in a squeeze chute or calf table! ( Still keep my knife sharp too just in case!)

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well that makes me think I could do it too! We sharpened those needles on a whetstone now and then to give the blackleg, B complex etc. etc. if they started getting a bit dull. If it pays well enough Bosn I can be the nurse, or if they cry too hard about the needle we could put em in a squeeze chute or calf table! ( Still keep my knife sharp too just in case!)

Quite odd to say you would desire to use a needle as such, on a human.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite odd to say you would desire to use a needle as such, on a human.

You could look at it that way.. But the way I see it is some people have no sense of humor and want to find a reason to be upset.

May also be " quite odd"?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread