Found my first big silver!!!!

lurk

Oct 28, 2015
Midwest
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD SE, Pro Pointer AT, Nel Sharpshooter coil, formerly ATPro & ATGold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a short time tonight to get out to hunt so I did it. Put off winter tilling and planting rye for my mothers garden but it was worth it. I hit a curb strip thats part of the old town across the street from where a hotel used to sit in the 1880s-1910s. I only had time to do one pass closest to the street before it got dark. Loads of can signals everywhere but I hit this sweet 89-92 VDI with the confidence meter to the max and I was digging it even if it was another piece of a lock or natural gas regulator or car thermostat and boy was I surprised when this popped out of the plug. It was only about 3-4 inches down. Looks pretty fresh I havn't washed it yet, which I will do now and take some photos. Besides that some older junky high conductors but no other old coins. I still need to go back as I only got about 1/3 of the strip detected. I was running my F 75 and Nel sharpshooter coil because I anticipated trash and EMI, sens 85, disc 4, 3 tone, DE process. Cheers guys.

So I just rinsed it in the sink with the sprayer and its an 1892 O. I'm not going to rub it or brush it or anything but I wish I could get more of the dirt off but I suppose I will leave it just as it is. 125 years of living in asphalt pitch and being parked on didn't do it any favors.

IMG_1422.JPGIMG_1418.JPGIMG_1420.JPGDSCN3096.JPGDSCN3098.JPG

This was playing on the radio when I drove home, how fitting.

I was lucky enough to see him in concert last May. RIP

Last edited:
Upvote 32
Now THAT'S a winner! Congrats! :thumbsup:

It's not a Micro O, but it's still a key date. Prices for 1892-O halves start out at $250-300 in Good (heavily worn condition). In comparison, a normal common Barber half in the same condition is worth $8-10. The details on yours are much better than Good, but the value is probably in the Good-Very Good condition range. You definitely don't want to try and clean this and I would leave the coin exactly as is until you talk to someone who is HIGHLY skilled at cleaning coins because a sloppy or hasty cleaning attempt would leave it looking polished and much worse than it does now. An incredible find!

Awesome find happy for you!!! I also just seen Tom Petty at Wrigley Field this past June crazy still sounded like he did long ago. Good luck out there.

Nice job, don't really see a lot of barber half dollars dug. I've dug a bust half, several seated halves, several walkers, but haven't gotten my coil over a barber half yet.

Cal Cobra, I'm supremely jealous! Bust half and seated half are the types of bucket listers I don't even put on my list because they're so improbable! I've dug a barber half (1905 S which went through a lawn mower) but the experience of digging a seated half would beat any single dig I've ever made!

Congrats!
I like my old silver dirty, my favorite coins are the ones I talked myself out of cleaning...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back