Found my first GOLD RING today!!! 14K WOOT! WOOT!

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
After being forced to suffer through reading post after post of all the beach guys here scooping gold out of the sand, I decided to head to a beach of my own. I have only been hunting sporadically as of late due to the blistering heat, but we got a little rain this afternoon and the temp dropped enough for me to get in a quick hunt. There is a lake located on some national forest land a couple of miles away from my home, so around 6:00 this evening I packed up the Delta 4000 and headed out.

This "beach" is actually a large grassy area about 200 yards long and about 50 yards wide. There is a rock wall where the beach ends, and due to "capillary action" the ground stays moist. I was actually able to dig plugs here, not just chip away at the rock hard red clay. Very easy digging compared to what I have been dealing with as of late.

Found a few pull tabs, about $2.00 worth of clad quarters, a few dimes, a nickel, a fishing sinker, and a Sacajawea dollar, then the Delta rang up "57/5 cents" at about two bars deep. Dug the plug and saw the glimmer of gold staring back at me. The ring is a little bent out of shape and marked "Magnolia 14K". Weighs in @ 2.5 grams.

1st_gold_ring.jpg

The whole time I was detecting there were these three kids pestering the crap out of me, asking if I had "found anything" every time I crouched down to dig. I was very tolerant and nice to them even though they were hovering over me constantly and getting in the way while I was rechecking my holes. I was explaining how the machine worked, how to read the display, ect. I try to encourage today's youth to do anything other than video games so I put up with them in between their screaming and jumping into the lake.

Anyway, one of those little buggers jumps in the water and comes up screaming that he had found something. Little turd found a 14K white gold mens wedding band in the water with his toes! I congratulated him on his find, then he sold the thing to his miser grandpa for $5.00 .....

Then around closing time some crotchety old fart rolls up in a golf cart with a pug dog and asks what I am doing. I told him I was metal detecting and asked if there was a problem. He said it was OK to detect, but I couldn't be digging holes (???). I then asked him if it was true that if you smacked a pug in the back of the head if its eyeballs would pop out? He just shot me a dirty look. I will be going back to this spot again in spite of what he has to say. If a park ranger or DNR guy tells me not to MD I will gladly comply but I'm not going to let some old codger picking up trash in a golf cart run me off this spot. I haven't even searched 10% of the beach and this spot is producing some good stuff so he hasn't seen the last of me....... I'm hotter than the rollin' dice gramps so step aside and let the Hombre through!!!!

Anyway, I digress. I think I may have found a good spot. I don't think this place has been pounded out and I expect it to give up some more jewelry for sure.

Anyway, thanks for reading my rambling post and HAPPY HUNTING to all!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
DougF said:
Nice find - you should have offered the kid $10 for the other ring.

All I had was plastic at the time. I would have given him $50 if I had the cash on me. I'm going back today around 5:00, there is more jewelry there I'm sure. I've already been rehearsing insults to hurl at the old man if he decides to trifle with me today.

dallgire

Jul 17, 2011
Around Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
rather not say! lol ;)
dannngggg hombre!!! very nice!!! you should have tripped that kid back into the water then punched him in the stomach while he was down and stole that thing!!! orrrr just trip him on "accident" and step on him underwater then pray he drops the ring! and then tell him your metal detector doesnt work in the water!!!! :headbang:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
told you to check out that 56 to 58 number range didn't I ?--normally with my delta 4000 thats nickels / 10 k gold range and 14 K runs about 67 -- :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
ivan salis said:
told you to check out that 56 to 58 number range didn't I ?--normally with my delta 4000 thats nickels / 10 k gold range and 14 K runs about 67 -- :icon_thumright:

I will never leave a 5 cent reading in the ground now.

dallgire said:
"say hello to my little friend!!!" delta to the chin!!

LOL! I would hate to damage my rig like that.

These kids would swarm me, then their grandpa would waddle over with a belt in his hand and chase them away. This process repeated itself over and over the entire time I was hunting. One little punk tried to snatch a dime I dug out of my hole. He started screaming that I had "robbed him" of "his" find. I would have gladly given it to him if he had asked nicely, but he was a crude and ill mannered little brat who deserved a good thrashing.

dallgire

Jul 17, 2011
Around Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
rather not say! lol ;)
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
ivan salis said:

I will never leave a 5 cent reading in the ground now.

dallgire said:
"say hello to my little friend!!!" delta to the chin!!

LOL! I would hate to damage my rig like that.

These kids would swarm me, then their grandpa would waddle over with a belt in his hand and chase them away. This process repeated itself over and over the entire time I was hunting. One little punk tried to snatch a dime I dug out of my hole. He started screaming that I had "robbed him" of "his" find. I would have gladly given it to him if he had asked nicely, but he was a crude and ill mannered little brat who deserved a good thrashing.

hahaha man that sounds like one heck of a time!!! "dont make me come hit you boy! Get away from him now!" >:(

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Find Man!!!....I would strip that place out :laughing9:...Maybe take some dog treats nextime :laughing7:

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
Awesome Find Man!!!....I would strip that place out :laughing9:...Maybe take some dog treats nextime :laughing7:

I'm about to head back out there as we speak. As for dog treats, if the elderly gentleman gives me any more crap I may toss his ugly mutt a hot dog soaked in anti-freeze.

Just kidding, I love dogs.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your first gold ring hombre_de_plata_flaco! :notworthy:

This cracks me up!!! :laughing9:

"Then around closing time some crotchety old fart rolls up in a golf cart with a pug dog and asks
what I am doing. I told him I was metal detecting and asked if there was a problem. He said it was
OK to detect, but I couldn't be digging holes ( ??? ). I then asked him if it was true that if you
smacked a pug in the back of the head if its eyeballs would pop out?"

Dave

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
The guy told you correctly. If it is National Forest land, you are violating federal rules and regulations. Luckily, the fine cannot exceed $5000 or 6 months imprisonment, or both. I'm just saying... :dontknow:

BTW - Congrats on your first gold!!! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Lookin said:
The guy told you correctly. If it is National Forest land, you are violating federal rules and regulations. Luckily, the fine cannot exceed $5000 or 6 months imprisonment, or both. I'm just saying... :dontknow:

BTW - Congrats on your first gold!!! :icon_thumleft:

Sorry, but you are wrong, just like the old codger who ran me off again today and got an earful from me. Just an old man flexing his nuts. He tried telling me that the land at Lake Russell Beach is now "private property" lol! I will be contacting the Ranger tomorrow and giving them an earful as well.

From The Chattahoochee National Forest Website:

While there are no areas specifically designated for the activity of metal detecting, there are some areas in which it is allowed. Generally, metal detector use on National Forests is restricted. Metal detectors may be used on public land in areas that do not contain, or would not reasonably be expected to contain, archaeological or historical resources. Normally, developed campgrounds, swimming beaches, and other developed recreation sites are open to metal detecting unless there are archaeological or historical resources present.

If you would like to conduct recreational metal detecting on the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests, we encourage you to do so in the following areas:

Chattooga River Ranger District

Andrews Cove Campground
Lake Rabun Beach Recreation Area
Lake Russell Recreation Area
Low Gap Campground
Oakey Mountain Campground
Sandy Bottoms Campground
Sara’s Creek Campground
Tate Branch Campground
West Fork Campground
Wildcat Creek Campground #1, #2
Willis Knob Campground

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
Omg hombre!!! I LOVE your posts! You are a man after my own heart. I loved what you said about that bug-eyed pug! BRAVO!!!!!

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
gemee said:
Omg hombre!!! I LOVE your posts! You are a man after my own heart. I loved what you said about that bug-eyed pug! BRAVO!!!!!

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

I wish I could type what I said to him today, but it would just look like this:

"[delete] you old man and your [delete] [delete] little dog. Who the [delete] do you think you are? I pay my taxes just like everyone else and I am allowed to metal detect down here on public land. I have read the regulations thoroughly you [delete] [delete]. I'd like to speak to the [delete] Ranger because you just look like a [delete] who picks up trash you [delete] [delete]. I guess you need to break open that [delete] metal box and give me back my [delete] five bucks I paid to park here you crusty old [delete]."

He was too much of a pu$$ to say anything to me today, so he sent his old lady down there to tell me to stop. My brother was swimming around in the lake and he said he knew there was going to be trouble just by looking at how I was walking toward him. I apologize to my fellow detectorists because I definitely didn't do the hobby any favors by what I said to him.

If the DNR tells me to stop, fine - I will, but I'm not going to let some old man on a power trip and his ugly little mutt run me off. I have just as much right to be down there as anyone else. They tried telling me that this FEDERAL LAND was now being privately leased, and that my digging of holes created mud that would mess up beach goers blankets. Then he started yanking on the logo of his shirt like he was a cop or something. PPPPPFFFFFFTTTTT!

This ain't over. Not by a long shot.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice ring! I don't like to be bothered with spectators, especially kids, LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread