found "trade beads" from a now destroyed site found "pre contact" ones (pics)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
found "trade beads" from a now destroyed site found "pre contact" ones (pics)

i was cleaning up some "trade beads" from a old indain village / trading post area that recently was converted into a county park fishing pier parking lot (sadly)== mixed in with them were some stone / shell "pre european contact" type hand made beads plus part of a post contact european cuff link -- there was only 4 of the stone / shell beads --so today I gave to my local museum 2 of them (for examination & display --since the "local" pre contact tribe is long "extinct" ) -- plus I also gave them about 30 post contact type seed bead type trade beads ( the glass colored ones) that I collected from the site before it was converted into a "parking lot"-- for my local history museum to make a disply with.

the village area was clearly used both pre and post contact -- and as such was very cool.

it will be a couple days but the wife says , she will scan the remaining beads, and add the pic for your veiwing pleasure.(yes i kept 2 of the shell / stone type beads for me , being they are so unique ) -- I am very proud to have saved them from being paved over / destroyed , so the public can see them --AND the museum is "crediting" me for the find / save on a card that wil be with the display.

Attachments

• Trade Beads_Items001.jpg
    Trade Beads_Items001.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 767
Upvote 3
OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Re: sorting found "trade beads" from a now destroyed site found "pre contact" ones

I do what I can --rescue archaeology--I call it. --- saving "history" from progress

Re: sorting found "trade beads" from a now destroyed site found "pre contact" ones

I would be interested in seeing your bead(s) when you get a chance.
Nice save! It is unfortunate that history is being lost as we speak.
It is up to us now to save whatever we can.
Best wishes,
Dave.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

wife said she will scan them and post em fer me this weekend --will show some other beads also found there as well from a later era as well.

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer

Very nice you found that spot in time. Saving history from modern day idiots is a wonderful task.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Re: found "trade beads" from a now destroyed site found "pre contact" ones (pics)

bump -- now with photo

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: found "trade beads" from a now destroyed site found "pre contact" ones (pics)

Cool! :thumbsup:

KOOTNEY KID

Sep 19, 2008
BRITISH COLUMBIA
Detector(s) used
Whites/MXT.

Love those trade beads,native artifacts are very cool. I,ve yet to find any. K.KID. 8)

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Love the trade beads. :icon_thumleft: good save :thumbsup:

Those are great Ivan, thanks for posting them. If this culture is extinct, then those beads are even more special! Plus, you saved them from development. :thumbsup:
Dave.

S

seger98

Is that a chevron bead in the center of the photo? Nice finds.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

I have a very good friend who found two C.S. trade silver crosses that are complete. They were found in a park where a canal exits into a main body of water, that is between the U.S. and canada, They are worth minimum of 50 grand each at auction. The county I live in was digging up an area in the park near the main body of water to install a new larger storm drain system, they had removed about 6 feet of soil and blue clay. My friend saw a large dark area (main fire pit) coral beads were found everywhere, then he detected the crosses and a silver thimble loaded with coral wampum. He doesn't need the money..yet, so he is hanging onto everything, btw, C.S. stands for cruikshank........NGE

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Re: found "trade beads" from a now destroyed site found "pre contact" ones (pics

Did you dig and sift for the beads? In a sizable area such as a park, how were you able to discern where to dig?

Those beads are fantastic! :headbang: Great recoveries all!

BW

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

a few were surface finds that tipped me off -- from there I dug and sifted the dirt in the area

the black centered bead with the red and white stripes are early period african "slave trade" type beads

of the very very small beads one is blue and has 4 white stripes on it

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool Ivan. At least they appreciated what you gave them. Back in the early 1980's, I remember at a certain place (that I won't name in Florida) I picked up a few stone spear points in an area that was cleared and was going to have a parking lot put there. I never saw a bunch of professionals get so mad in my life. That I had no right to pick them up even though I was turning them into the museum, that it didn't matter if they were going to be destroyed, etc.

I had an archaeology class at USF back in the early 90's. One of things I remember the professor (aka teacher) saying was that he would rather have a site completely destroyed and taken to a dump then have one non professional pick up an item as a collector. But yet he brought in his own personal collection, in which he said that was different because he was an archaeologist...

That's sad that the site will be covered over like that. I remember when I was a kid there was a park in Tarpon Springs that they brought in tractors to level out the ground and pushed a lot of valuable artifacts into the waters edge. If you go swimming there and look in the water there are pieces everywhere.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea! You've got pictures! ;D I've been waiting on that pic, Ivan..and those beads are awesome! :notworthy:

Nana :)

Kanyontreasures

Jan 13, 2010
idaho
Detector(s) used
whites prizm 3, whites bullseye ii

great finds!!

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes sadly they are all that remains of this combo pre ciontect / post contact old indain village site / early spanish site * the rest is now a great fishing ramp asphalt parking lot (oh joy)

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
made from coral * stone beads --pre contact type * once the indains started trading and getting glass beads --making stone beads by hand stoppped --the women liked the pretty "colored" glass beads much better and they werre easily obtained by trading a bit of food or by as a reward for attending "church" services --making stone beads was a lot of work .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread