GARNET / GOLD QUESTION

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found an area at the bend of a creek that has what I thought was some different sized type of round shaped iron ore, Limonite, ect. I took a gallon of the stuff home, and soaked it in Muratic acid and to my surprise, it's all red, purpleish red, brown, black, ect garnet, quarts pieces, and maybe pyrite along with some other stuff. The place where it's at is an inside bend of a creek, but in a 2 foot thick layer in the bank. My question is, if (if)

there is gold in with this stuff,
would it be mixed with it, or maybe below the layer of garnet? Thanks, Jay

DSC00134.JPG DSC00132.JPG DSC00131.JPG DSC00130.JPG DSC00129.JPG DSC00128.JPG DSC00123.JPG DSC00120.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00120.JPG
    DSC00120.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second LostinBolton, that big red one might be a ruby. There may be gold in that layer and below it if gold is found in that area. It all depends on how mixed up the area gets and if there are any drop offs and gold traps. In an area with a lot of churning the gold will work its way below the garnets. if there is not a lot of turning it most likely will be mixed in with the other material.

LostinBolton

Mar 28, 2012
CT
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep digging the hole. It looks real fun we have a foot of snow on the ground here.

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me bout it if only the snow was gold baring we would all be rich

OP
OP
Frank D.

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold bearing snow? haha Thanks for all the input, much appreciated. I was definately planning on getting that red one looked at. As soon as the weather gets a little warmer, I'm getting in that water. For now, gonna dig a little below the garnet layer and see what I can find. I'm thinking of filling a couple 5 gallon buckets with the garnet to give me something to do going through it, lol. No records exist for gold being found there that I can find at least, but it's Peidmont region though, so I guess it's possible?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread