gold coin and more

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
My family and friend went to a very old farm site Sunday. We found lots of wire and junk so I was just swinging my Garrett 2500 wild when all at once it went wild bouncing from one end of the scale to the other. It showed it was about 6 inches deep, so I decided to go ahead and dig it the first thing that I saw was a old leather ball looking thing I pulled it out and saw it had a lid ,when I opened it up I could see a ring and a coin sticking out of the dirt in it. I hollered to my brother that I found a coin purse and need to go to the pickup to dump it out on the tailgate to see what was in it. By this time I was shaking too much so he slowly started taking things and dirt out of it, the more he took out the more shaking I did. About half ways empty a gold coin popped out by the time he got it clean out I could not believe my eyes I did not do a dance I was shaking to much lol.the date on the pictures is wrong I got tired of setting every time I recharged the battery put the pictures on photo bucket here is the link to them. http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/kwd_photos/finds/

Upvote 0

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
kwdstalker said:
i was just replying to their posts,as for doing research if you look up a few i posted that i took the coins to a coin dealer and what he said,the only other research i can do is send them in.the reason i did not want to post before is there are always some that call them fake or planted and i do not care for the put down.i have been detecting since the late 60's the Oregon Trail runs just 4 miles south of here and about 25 miles from here is this http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/markers/texts/republican_pawnee_village.htm there are a lot of 1800 towns all around here.so i am no newbee
kim

I have been watching this thread from the first day it was posted but have stayed away for reasons mentioned above. The guys on this forum are pro's and if they say something looks fishy, I can promise you there is some slime somewhere. If you don't agree with them then you need to go see a real coin dealer since the one you're using obviously isn't worth his salt as he couldn't ID all your coins.

I think this is a very good find and hope the gold coin is real. I know I would love to find one. As far as the other coins, I have no idea because I don't have them in hand. I hope they turn out to be real also.

As far as you being a newbee, you are a newbee here. And being a newbee, if you can't get along with the members, you will not last long. I hope you stay around because I for one like looking at pics of finds and the more members, the more finds. :wink:

Good Luck
Randy

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
hi randy i have been a member here longer then you but i do like you have said i sit back and listen ,most of my posting is in the Garrett section which is not many.
thanks for your reply
Kim

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
kwdstalker said:
hi randy i have been a member here longer then you but i do like you have said i sit back and listen ,most of my posting is in the Garrett section which is not many.
thanks for your reply
Kim

You're welcome Kim. I hope the best for you.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kwdstalker said:
Well you called them copper as seen in the reply you made so you are wrong also. Here is you quote

My suspicion is the copper. I have found old coin purses myself with copper and, far from protecting the contents, the material & chemicals used to make the purse tend to leach out, and attack any coins within.

The eagles and Indian heads from 1860 to 1864 were .880 copper and .120 nickel they were referred as nickel or nicks latter called white cents.1864 to1909 they were called bronze .950 copper .050 tin and zinc. They were .950 copper .050 tin and zinc in wheat’s 1909 to 1958 and so on. That was taken from the 2009 red book.

Xraywolf said:
I think kwd has every right to be a bit snippy and defensive - But someone who thinks pennies are made out of nickel hardly has the right to cast doubts on the coin knowledge of others.

Excuse me kwd, you said [and I quote]: "just for your info the indain and egale pennies are nickel not copper look it up in the red book if you do not believe me."
To that, I replied "They are most certainly not nickel, 88% copper & 12% nickel was the formula for pennies in those days"
Your statement was clearly highly inaccurate, you were corrected - So please just do a little research before posting of the metal composition of coins, and like topics - And not preaching here, but I wish you would make the effort to quote properly, I hate seeing things get all jumbled up like this.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kwdstalker said:
i was just replying to their posts,as for doing research if you look up a few i posted that i took the coins to a coin dealer and what he said,the only other research i can do is send them in.the reason i did not want to post before is there are always some that call them fake or planted and i do not care for the put down.i have been detecting since the late 60's the Oregon Trail runs just 4 miles south of here and about 25 miles from here is this http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/markers/texts/republican_pawnee_village.htm there are a lot of 1800 towns all around here.so i am no newbee
kim

Did you not see my reply about the California gold token?

"the only other research i can do is send them in"

Being a member of TNet for over a year, you know that there is a plethora of info on here, much of it available on the internet. Research is more than taking your coins to a "coin dealer" or sending it in for grading. In less time than it took to take the pics, upload and post on here you would have been able to find as much info as we have found so far. Had you done research you would have been able to, from the beginning, nip the naysayers in the arse be explaining that there is a possibility that some, if not all, may be repros. Your failure to do so opened the floodgates. If your finds are real, outstanding. If they are fake, oh well. Not doing your due diligence brings us to where we are now. Simply spending a few minutes doing some research online could have prevented any perceived "put down".

As far as sending the coins in for grading, have you ever done that? Do you know what is involved? The cost? Do they even grade repros? I don't know the answers to these questions because I have not done my due diligence. I hope you do yours.

habs

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Please stick a fork in this thread already. Real, not real, gold, gold plated, copper, zinc, give it up already. The find was a unique one. The reason people get pissed around here and leave is for the reasons that can be read in the previous posts. Again, very nice find :icon_thumright:

John

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
You sure made one hell of an awesome discovery there. I have been waiting patiently for this to show up on the banner, but alas it has not. It is a shame all the controversy interfered, because this find truly deserves the recognition. Congratulations on an awesome find. Here's to many more, and when they come, please post them :).

Anthony

tford62

May 1, 2008
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Not to keep the controversy going, but what is the verdict on these coins? I hope they are real, but I kinda have some doubts, I hope I am proven wrong. Good luck with it and please update us. T.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Update: The two little Mexican "gold" coins appear to be modern fakes made in 1965. I don't know how they ended up in your coin purse.

http://www.worldwide-numismatics.com/page Mexico 2.htm

(Third and fourth coins down on the above link.) The California piece is now highly suspect IMO.

Best Wishes,

Thats right and the Calif. Gold is fake too.Neat find though!!!Awesome that you handled that $5 as little as possible too!!!WTG

Buckles

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
well i think you are wrong i just got back from another coin dealer today in a different town and he said the same as the first.the 5 dollar coin is real,the 2 Mexican are love tokens and are gold as for the cal gold it is gold but has not seen any in his life to compare it to so he would not say.that's 2 that have had it in there hands not looking at pictures.and i am taking them to another dealer wed afternoon.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to each his own......if you dug ya found it......i say good find!

i caught a snipe once when i was young, no one believed me cause he ate a hole in the bottom of the bag i carried him home in.....

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I'm still looking for my first gold coin. I thought I had one water hunting a few weeks ago but turned out to be a gold colored coin from a little country in Europe (I got to learn about a country that I had never heard of before).

I don't think most of the posters are questioning your honesty. I believe they are just saying that some of the coins from the purse, that you were lucky to have found, look like copies, but I'm glad to see they tested positive as GOLD. It was probably someones coin collection that someone swiped many years ago and ended up buried where you found it. I'm sure there are many caches like that out there. Congratulations on finding one.

I hope you find more at that nice spot. Keep posting.

HH

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
i want to thank you all for your replies i still get the shakes just looking at it.

NE/Kathy

Greenie
May 15, 2009
Kwd, nice find and I appreciate you sharing it. You have given me hope that I will be able to dig up a gold coin in Nebraska. I think you mentioned in one of your posts that you hunt the Oregon Trail. Have you had good luck with finds on the trail? I know I am getting of the main topic but I live about 5 miles from the Steam Wagon Trail that I believe was a branch from the Oregon Trail. I am curious on what finds might be located there.
Thanks, Kathy

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nick A (at1cad) said:
What the heck? Xray, you've said it twice and goshdarnit, you're wrong. To paraphrase your own comment, someone who DOESN'T know pennies were made out of nickel... ;D

Certainly the Flying Eagle and Indian Head small cents were WHITE and made of predominantly NICKEL composition 1856-1864 (in 1864 they made both the cupronickel and bronze versions. In fact, these early cents were made before the first nickel 5 cent pieces and the early cents were called "nickels"! Even cursory research on the internet or a common US coin book will confirm the facts of this.

Ok, another guy saying that these pennies are nickel.
While you are on the topic of a "cursory research on the internet", hows about checking here
http://www.pcgs.com/prices/PriceGuideDetail.aspx?MS=1&PR=1&c=664&title=Flying+Eagle+Cent

PCGS, you know, the guys who grade coins ,,, Should know their stuff, right ?

Click on a blue link of a 1858 flying eagle cent, and look at the composition, which is
COPPER - 88%
NICKEL - 12%
Hell, I'll save you the time, and post a scan of what you'll see, below.
Which is exactly what I said in post #86, days ago.
COPPER - 88%
NICKEL - 12%
Does that look "predominantly NICKEL" to you ?
If so, I'd suggest some reading glasses, or a basic math class.

You want to get technical ?
Ok, I am 88% right and 12% wrong.
You are 88% wrong, and 12% right - You do the math, and tell me whos righter than wrong.
Hint: Its not you, by cracky !
Did you happen to do any "cursory research on the internet" before saying that flying eagle cent pennies are "predominantly NICKEL" ?
Doesn't appear to be the case - And I'd really suggest that you take you own advice before embarrassing yourself with easily disproved inaccuracies again.

I don't think any penny has ever been made out of 100% copper, they have always had a small amount of alloy in them to increase durability - That doesn't stop people from saying "copper coin" when referring to them, as that, until 1982, is largely what they were composed of.

Attachments

• copduh.jpg
    copduh.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 376

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
The flying eagle and indian head cents had a "white" look to them for a time because of a increase in the amount of nickel used in production. They also were called "nickels" by people. Five cent nickels wouldn't be produced until 1866. These "nickel cents" weren't predominately made of nickel, but the increased amount used gave them the "white" look. This composition was only used from 1859 to 1864. During this time, both flying eagle and indian head cents were minted.

John

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
hi Kathy he we find balls 3 ring bullets harnes parts all different sizes of square nails stove part and realy just about anything made of metals you have to rember that they hade there whole life in there wagons.and here we hade a lot of indian problem.we even know where 2 solders are baried my dad did alot of reshearch about it in the 60's and found where they are but he NEVER did any digging there.hope it helps you and welcome to treasure net.
kim
NE/Kathy said:
Kwd, nice find and I appreciate you sharing it. You have given me hope that I will be able to dig up a gold coin in Nebraska. I think you mentioned in one of your posts that you hunt the Oregon Trail. Have you had good luck with finds on the trail? I know I am getting of the main topic but I live about 5 miles from the Steam Wagon Trail that I believe was a branch from the Oregon Trail. I am curious on what finds might be located there.
Thanks, Kathy

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
saw the third coin dealer yesterday and he said the same as the others only different was he said since it was dug it was only worth 200 bucks but you have to expect that from some one that wants to buy it.
Kim

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kwdstalker said:
saw the third coin dealer yesterday and he said the same as the others only different was he said since it was dug it was only worth 200 bucks but you have to expect that from some one that wants to buy it.
Kim

Why say they were dug? (it may influence their thinking) With gold its nearly impossible to tell. I guess I'm a little more sneaky than you. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread