gold coin and more

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
My family and friend went to a very old farm site Sunday. We found lots of wire and junk so I was just swinging my Garrett 2500 wild when all at once it went wild bouncing from one end of the scale to the other. It showed it was about 6 inches deep, so I decided to go ahead and dig it the first thing that I saw was a old leather ball looking thing I pulled it out and saw it had a lid ,when I opened it up I could see a ring and a coin sticking out of the dirt in it. I hollered to my brother that I found a coin purse and need to go to the pickup to dump it out on the tailgate to see what was in it. By this time I was shaking too much so he slowly started taking things and dirt out of it, the more he took out the more shaking I did. About half ways empty a gold coin popped out by the time he got it clean out I could not believe my eyes I did not do a dance I was shaking to much lol.the date on the pictures is wrong I got tired of setting every time I recharged the battery put the pictures on photo bucket here is the link to them. http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/kwd_photos/finds/

Upvote 0

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nick A (at1cad) said:
*sigh* :-X

(This will be my personal reminder to not feed the trolls after a long day)

An admission that you were wrong would have sufficed.
You come here "gosh dangit by golly jiminy cricket Xray, you were wrong TWICE, why don't you do some basic research on the internet" - I proved you were wrong and I am right, and what do you do ?
Edit your erroneous comments to nothing, blame it on being tired, and calling me a troll. That is childish, and isn't even allowed on most forums.
When you spout disinformation about things you know nothing about, but try your hardest to act like you do, that is a disservice to anyone who reads the post, who might go repeating your errors, which is why I called you out and set the record straight.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kwdstalker said:
saw the third coin dealer yesterday and he said the same as the others only different was he said since it was dug it was only worth 200 bucks but you have to expect that from some one that wants to buy it.
Kim
Yes they will!Send it in and have it slabbed.They might grade it "enviro damaged",from being dug,but you know what?Take it out of the slab,send it in again(They proffesionaly clean them)and I almost guarantee they will grade it higher!Do not try and clean it yourself unless you absolutly know what you are doing.

mighty_mace

Jun 29, 2007
Schuylkill County, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool and interesting dig........real, fake, modern, or really old whatever the case may be....I'd be tickled to find it.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blurr said:
The flying eagle and indian head cents had a "white" look to them for a time because of a increase in the amount of nickel used in production. They also were called "nickels" by people. Five cent nickels wouldn't be produced until 1866. These "nickel cents" weren't predominately made of nickel, but the increased amount used gave them the "white" look. This composition was only used from 1859 to 1864. During this time, both flying eagle and indian head cents were minted.

John

Yep these old pennies used to be called "Nickels" (it was slang used for them at the time) because of the nickel inside of them. You hit the nail right on the head. :thumbsup:

Great finds!!!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xraywolf said:
Click on a blue link of a 1858 flying eagle cent, and look at the composition, which is
COPPER - 88%
NICKEL - 12%
Hell, I'll save you the time, and post a scan of what you'll see, below.
Which is exactly what I said in post #86, days ago.
COPPER - 88%
NICKEL - 12%
Does that look "predominantly NICKEL" to you ?
If so, I'd suggest some reading glasses, or a basic math class.

You want to get technical ?
Ok, I am 88% right and 12% wrong.
You are 88% wrong, and 12% right - You do the math, and tell me whos righter than wrong.
Hint: Its not you, by cracky !
Did you happen to do any "cursory research on the internet" before saying that flying eagle cent pennies are "predominantly NICKEL" ?
Doesn't appear to be the case - And I'd really suggest that you take you own advice before embarrassing yourself with easily disproved inaccuracies again.

This is all so childish. If you'd asked someone for a nickel in 1858 they'd have handed you a cent--and they would've been 100% right. That 12% nickel content is not a matter of you being 12% right or wrong! It changes the way the alloy's appearance and properties. Have you ever even dug a CN IH or FE cent? (I'd bet you haven't, otherwise you'd know what I mean. :wink:)

Continue it with some nasty PM's and keep it off of kwdstalker's thread.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You ought to just mind your own affairs BuckleBoy, instead of fanning the flames, making snide remarks and trying to give out orders - High post counts don't impress me, unless you got a MOD aside your nym.

I was called out, told I was wrong, suggested that I try a basic internet search, then to top it all off, inaccuracies, no help to anyone, were posted.
The person who posted all of this, instead of manning up and admitting he was wrong to call me out, just deleted all his comments to save himself some embarrassment, and contented himself just calling me mean names.
Irony was was that it was suggested that I do some basic research to get my facts straight, when that is exactly what the person who offered this friendly advice should have done.

All of this, of course, you would just sit back and take like a gentleman ,,, Sure.
I don't really care what people called them in 1858 - Fact is, this is 2009, and these are mostly copper.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xraywolf said:
You ought to just mind your own affairs BuckleBoy, instead of fanning the flames, making snide remarks and trying to give out orders - High post counts don't impress me, unless you got a MOD aside your nym.

I was called out, told I was wrong, suggested that I try a basic internet search, then to top it all off, inaccuracies, no help to anyone, were posted.
The person who posted all of this, instead of manning up and admitting he was wrong to call me out, just deleted all his comments to save himself some embarrassment, and contented himself just calling me mean names.
Irony was was that it was suggested that I do some basic research to get my facts straight, when that is exactly what the person who offered this friendly advice should have done.

All of this, of course, you would just sit back and take like a gentleman ,,, Sure.
I don't really care what people called them in 1858 - Fact is, this is 2009, and these are mostly copper.

And they look more like nickels than cents in color, and they act like nickels act during ground action, and they sound more like nickels on any detector--and they're red colored when they're recovered. I don't expect you respect my hight post count. Perhaps you're new here, but I don't think your attitude is excusable. With 100 posts under your belt, you have absolutely no idea what I've done with my 9,000 posts here. Well, I can tell ya this--those 9,000 posts do not say "Nice Finds."

Go dig up one of these coins, before you shoot off your mouth here. Or try my approach and Contribute something to this forum. That's even better. :wink:

-Buck

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your forum hard guy routine does not impress me a bit ,,, But don't let that stop you from trying !
This was all pretty much settled until you just couldn't resist chiming in - Next thing ya know you'll be claiming that pennies are "predominantly NICKEL" too - Don't know why else you feel compelled to defend inaccurate statements.
If I need your opinion I'll ask for it, kindly keep it to yourself until then.

*Waits for the next tough guy, know it all rant*

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuckleBoy said:
With 100 posts under your belt, you have absolutely no idea what I've done with my 9,000 posts here. Well, I can tell ya this--those 9,000 posts do not say "Nice Finds."

Go dig up one of these coins, before you shoot off your mouth here. Or try my approach and Contribute something to this forum. That's even better. :wink:

-Buck

Oof... Are you serious? L.M.A.O.

(-- newb thinks you should get off your high post count horse.

Xray: I don't think 2009 pennies have any copper in them... They're icky nasty zinc... Juuuust sayin.

And to stay on topic: Cool finds, no matter what the circumstance...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xraywolf said:
Your forum hard guy routine does not impress me a bit ,,, But don't let that stop you from trying !
This was all pretty much settled until you just couldn't resist chiming in - Next thing ya know you'll be claiming that pennies are "predominantly NICKEL" too - Don't know why else you feel compelled to defend inaccurate statements.
If I need your opinion I'll ask for it, kindly keep it to yourself until then.

*Waits for the next tough guy, know it all rant*

No, Cents are predominantly ZINC. :D

And they are not my opinions, they are facts.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BuckleBoy said:

You seem like the kinda guy who likes to get in the last word, I'm hoping that was it.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xraywolf said:
BuckleBoy said:

You seem like the kinda guy who likes to get in the last word, I'm hoping that was it.

no I'm the guy that likes the last word :wink: :D

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Xraywolf said:
BuckleBoy said:

no I'm the guy that likes the last word :wink: :D

Not so fast CRU ;D ;D ;D

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Kim those are some cool finds man,congratulations!!
Can we all just have a few beers together and go metal detecting 8)

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I was one of the first to post that they looked a bit strange to be in the ground that long.

But as one of my buddies says he!! you found it call it what you want to.

Lets all just get along.

Jason

Dirt Dobber

Jun 24, 2008
Midlands of S.Carolina
Detector(s) used
R/S Discovery(BH IV) cousin
Can't help it. B.B., u must have been raised in Mo.(The show me state).LOL if u can. Do u argue with fence post or brick walls? Sometimes u just gotta know when to quit. I enjoy all post good or bad. If someone post something in error and its corrected and they can't accept that they r n error so b it. Just move on. Try to relax cause u sometimes just can't change things. Most folks can & should check opposite positions if a subjuct interest them enough. D.D.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some people, myself included, had their dander up a bit.
It happens, personally no offense taken, and none meant.
We are all adults ,,, Or mostly, and we can take a little heat here and there.
I can be an ass, that I'll readily admit - And in my line of work, that is actually a requirement.
I try to leave that at the forum door, but we are all who we are, and sometimes things just go on automatic, and thats not necessarily a good thing.

I try to call em as I see em, I take exceptions to things like anyone else ,,, But at the end of the day, some of us may have things dividing us, but we all have something that binds, as well - The great passion of metal detecting, so I hope that bond over rides all negative feelings when its all said and done.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xraywolf said:

Same here. My apologies, Xray.

Beers at Jerry's house in O-hi-o! ;D

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xraywolf said:
It happens, personally no offense taken, and none meant.
We are all adults ,,, Or mostly, and we can take a little heat here and there.
I can be an ass, that I'll readily admit - And in my line of work, that is actually a requirement.
I try to leave that at the forum door, but we are all who we are, and sometimes things just go on automatic, and thats not necessarily a good thing.

I try to call em as I see em, I take exceptions to things like anyone else ,,, But at the end of the day, some of us may have things dividing us, but we all have something that binds, as well - The great passion of metal detecting, so I hope that bond over rides all negative feelings when its all said and done.

have you been smokin :D

:hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread