Gold Lights / Flashes to Guide the Way to Riches???

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay,

This subject has been brought up several times in other sections, but never a Thread devoted entirely to it, so I think some of our Miner/Prospector friends here might not have been able to chime in.

In the diaries of his travels in New Spain, Father Juan (Johan) Nentvig SJ (Jesuit) wrote about the silver and gold mines all over Pimeria Alta (Northern Mexico and Southwestern US). He wrote that during the rainy season, there were many flashes to show that there was still much gold and silver to be had.

I had heard about these stories for a long time, but didn't put much stock in them, until I met an old timer who makes the rounds to Stanton (Rich Hill), Rye Patch, etc. He actually had pictures of the lights. He sets up his video camera about dusk and leaves it running till after dark. He collects it and reviews the video. If he finds something, he gets a frame from the video and prints it. I have to say that I was impressed.

The theory is that gasses develop from the different minerals associated with the different types of ore (like arsenic in gold ore). During periods of high humidity/rain, as the sun goes down, the temps radically change. The pressure differential is so great that the gasses vent to the atmosphere and phosphoresce. Different minerals/ores give off different colored lights. That is the theory anyway.

Anybody have anything else to share? Pics maybe?

Thanks-Mike

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
interesting,never noticed this thread b4, thanks for linking it Mike
last year i remember reading about ( ball lightning ), i think that is
what is being discussed, i went to find that article couldnt find but
found this vid done by some researchers in china, on the Qinghai
Plateau, and by coincidence, there is a group/corp of Canadians
that had discovered gold,lots of gold in that region. i wasnt able
to find a good map of the area,here are some links to the info
so maybe there is something to light balls and gold

ball lightning vid and research info
Physics - Focus: First Spectrum of Ball Lightning

the gold co. info it mentions the Qinghai Plateau
http://www.inter-citic.com/documents/2012AGM/Inter-Citic-Annual-Report-2011.pdf
pg with a generic map of the gold area
Inter-Citic Minerals Inc. :: The Dachang Gold Project
more on the gold co,
Small Canadian miner's Tibetan plateau gold mine likely largest in Asia | MINING.com
Qinghai region generic map
http://www.itourschina.com/ChinaMap/bigimg/20070615-0000000432.jpg

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
While I was out prospecting north of Kingman, AZ a couple of months ago I had an electrical storm come through just after dark. The wind was whipping pretty good as well and I had to add a couple of extra guy lines to the tent. I was camped near some high tension power lines and while I was doing the guy lines I happened to glance in the direction of the power lines. I saw what at first looked like car/truck headlights hitting the lines. After checking for incoming traffic and seeing nothing, I realized that the light was coming from the lines themselves. They were glowing with a light green and that glow was extending from my camp area, up over the hill and heading towards Hover Dam when the lines started from. The storm slackened up for a bit and the glow disappeared. A short time later the storm whipped up again and the glow was back. This time it extended as far as I could see in both directions. Going by the number of insulators holding each line, I estimate that these were in the neighborhood of 575K volt lines and may have been one of the main feeds heading into the Phoenix area. The glow was very cool looking but disconcerting at the same time. If it had been orange/red instead of green, I'd have been out of there asap! I'.m no longer working that area, but may go back if there's a good storm in the area to see if it does the same thing again. This time I'll take some pictures.

AS far as the lights and gold goes, many of the minerals that are found with gold will also react with U.V. light. I'm looking to get a combo "Black light" that will output both long and short wave U.V. Only 10% of minerals that react to U.V. will work with long wave, 90% react to short wave and a few react with both. Those that react to both will often glow one color under long wave and a different color under short wave. SAFETY NOTICE: Short wave U.V. is dangerous to look at and can cause not only severe eye damage, but sunburn and skin cancer as well. Use proper safety glasses and wear long sleeve shirts and gloves when using. The skin cancer you prevent may be your own!!! END SAFETY NOTICE.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting,never noticed this thread b4, thanks for linking it Mike
last year i remember reading about ( ball lightning ), i think that is
what is being discussed, i went to find that article couldnt find but
found this vid done by some researchers in china, on the Qinghai
Plateau, and by coincidence, there is a group/corp of Canadians
that had discovered gold,lots of gold in that region. i wasnt able
to find a good map of the area,here are some links to the info
so maybe there is something to light balls and gold

ball lightning vid and research info
Physics - Focus: First Spectrum of Ball Lightning

the gold co. info it mentions the Qinghai Plateau
http://www.inter-citic.com/documents/2012AGM/Inter-Citic-Annual-Report-2011.pdf
pg with a generic map of the gold area
Inter-Citic Minerals Inc. :: The Dachang Gold Project
more on the gold co,
Small Canadian miner's Tibetan plateau gold mine likely largest in Asia | MINING.com
Qinghai region generic map
http://www.itourschina.com/ChinaMap/bigimg/20070615-0000000432.jpg

CW0909,

Ball Lightning is not necessarily the same thing. Nobody is 100% certain what causes the different colored light flashes. There are several theories as to why they happen. My personal favorite is that each type of precious metal carries different minerals in the gangue that surrounds it's ore body. In those gangue materials, gasses build up over time. Under different temperature and humidity conditions (read: pressure differences between the atmosphere and the subsurface), those gasses can out-gas, and somehow flash once exposed to the atmosphere.

I don't know if you have ever seen a "Fire Piston" work. Easy to make, and every outdoorsman should have one:

Intense air pressure causes the char cloth to start smoldering/burning. May be that a quick pressure differential (higher underground and lower atmosphere) would cause the underground gasses to vent rapidly causing them to flash. Different make-ups of gasses can cause different colors to flash. The reason it only flashes in rainy/humid weather is that before rains comes a falling barometer. That means that every historical account of light flashes happens when the atmospheric pressure is significantly lower than any underground trapped gasses. With the right combination of higher subterranean gas pressure and very low atmospheric pressure, that trapped gas will find a way out to try and equalize the lower pressure outside and somehow flash.

Mike

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I witnessed this anomaly in the Superstition Mountains. It was as if someone was talking flash photos behind us but when we turned around no one was there. These flashes would light up the entire area. Great experience.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is too funny! I was just thinking about a thread I saw that mentioned plants that grow around silver and gold a couple of days ago.....Looking for info on the subject, I knew I saw it mentioned in a thread...Found little on the net about it or that I could find. This thread came back to life and there it was, the mention of gold and plants I saw a while back. :laughing7:

Sry off track, just thought that was too funny! And I'm glad it popped up!

Last edited:
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries. That is one of the reasons I revived it. LVBob I didn't think had seen that thread at all, but the topic is so unusual (because there isn't a ton of info on it), I like to bring it back around every once in awhile.

Mike

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ball lightning is carbon based, and in every instance carbon can be found in the vacinity.

Here's some produced with one of my Tesla Coils. They can be many differnt colors from the same source. Flame was burning rubber.

BL pics 008.jpg
BL pics 011s.JPG

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
................a little further down my theory road:

It is very possible that rainy weather may be the cause of the gas being pressurized underground, as well as the low pressure in the atmosphere. As it rains, the water, being heavier than any gasses will sink to the lowest level it can find, and if that level just happens to force some extant gasses upwards towards the surface, and the atmospheric pressure was lower because of the rain, it might be just the right conditions to make flashes.

Mike

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I find it curious that the many of the theories here seem to attempt to rely on "science" for their explanations. Sadly much of the most well established science about the very nature of the basic core building blocks of the physical universe is being ignored in favor of unproven theories presented as scientific knowledge.

I'm not saying that those theories might not be proven someday but I am saying if they are to be proven by those proposing the theory they will have to fit in with the current non-theoretical body of scientific knowledge.

Let's start with same basics - the stable (non radioactive) elements don't and can't decompose or be consumed in nature. An atom is an atom is an element. While it's very true that some elements react with other elements to form complex molecules it is never true in nature that a element such as gold, arsenic, oxygen, copper, sulfur, platinum, mercury or silver will transmute or decompose into another element or atomic particle. Elements can, in specific well defined circumstances, react with one another but they can't be disassembled by the physical world we are discussing.

Some elements, such as gold, are very resistant to acids or combining with oxygen. These elements do often experience enrichment (often to 100% purity) due to more reactive metals and salts leaching out of the ore bodies. Please reference the recent work of Dr. Erik Melchiorre an acknowledged expert on Stable Isotope Geochemistry. This isn't a new concept but my point is this natural process is so well established that there are PHDs devoting a good part of their research resources defining the exact parameters involved. Making a claim that is contrary to this science will require a lot of real world rigorous scientific method research before there will be anything but laughter in the halls of academia or a modern research mining lab.

The source of the science is also important. With old mining texts you have to consider not only the source but how it came into your knowledge. Not many of us speak fluent Latin or late Middle Ages/middle Renaissance high Bohemian/Germanic dialects much less early Castillo Spanish, Medieval Italian or any of the other many obsolete languages used to write these old manuscripts. As such we end up relying on not only the real world knowledge and intent of the original author but on the accurate translation of those writings into a language we can read with some level of understanding. Often the translation becomes as important as the original text.

As an example I spent several years studying Herbert and Lou Hoover's excellent and seminal English language translation of Georg Bauer's 1555 De Re Metallica. I'm wondering where these "scientific" references are coming from that many of you have offered. Much of De Re Metallica is written as a dialogue about what is believed or passed down through history and what was actually known to be true. As such it was very instrumental in helping to shape the early European understanding of the process of scientific investigation into chemistry and metallurgy. Relying on the various myths, methods, anecdotes and stories investigated in De Re Metallic is not evidence of scientific knowledge but of the process of scientific investigation. Simply because the perception of some phenomena is investigated in De Re Metallica doesn't elevate the phenomena to the level of "science". These are just a few of the many pitfalls I see being ignored in "quoting" these old writings.

This isn't meant as a specific criticism of any particular theories presented in this thread. I'm hoping to up the quality of the investigations many of you are making into phenomena that has yet to be explained. There may be great value to your ideas but if you are going to rely on perceived phenomena to explain real world metal deposits you won't be taken seriously by real miners or scientists until you address how those theories fit into the current knowledge of the natural world. That's not just human nature but the process of scientific investigation.

You may not care if others don't accept your methodology or if your ideas apparently go against current scientific knowledge. Being seen as a dreamer or a crackpot is often the burden of those are exploring new or previously unknown ideas. That doesn't appear to be the case on this and many other threads here. The attempts to ridicule those who challenge your ideas is contrary to the concept of a truly open mind. Accusing others of not being open to new ideas when at the same time not even troubling to learn the basics of the physics behind your area of interest is not an indication of an inquisitive nature.

A lot more tolerance in discussion of both sides of these concepts is needed if these discussions are to be productive. As always, the most productive path to introducing new ideas is to meet others questions and objections with calm rational explanations couched in language and concepts that are familiar to those you are trying to educate. To do that you will need to have a sound understanding of the current pool of knowledge of the physical world and be able to address your ideas in those terms.

Educate yourself and prosper! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Adventure_Time

May 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might be the explanation for the Browns Mountain lights that have been occuring in NC since the 1400's as documented by the natives of the time.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it curious that the many of the theories here seem to attempt to rely on "science" for their explanations. Sadly much of the most well established science about the very nature of the basic core building blocks of the physical universe is being ignored in favor of unproven theories presented as scientific knowledge.

I'm not saying that those theories might not be proven someday but I am saying if they are to be proven by those proposing the theory they will have to fit in with the current non-theoretical body of scientific knowledge.

Let's start with same basics - the stable (non radioactive) elements don't and can't decompose or be consumed in nature. An atom is an atom is an element. While it's very true that some elements react with other elements to form complex molecules it is never true in nature that a element such as gold, arsenic, oxygen, copper, sulfur, platinum, mercury or silver will transmute or decompose into another element or atomic particle. Elements can, in specific well defined circumstances, react with one another but they can't be disassembled by the physical world we are discussing.

Some elements, such as gold, are very resistant to acids or combining with oxygen. These elements do often experience enrichment (often to 100% purity) due to more reactive metals and salts leaching out of the ore bodies. Please reference the recent work of Dr. Erik Melchiorre an acknowledged expert on Stable Isotope Geochemistry. This isn't a new concept but my point is this natural process is so well established that there are PHDs devoting a good part of their research resources defining the exact parameters involved. Making a claim that is contrary to this science will require a lot of real world rigorous scientific method research before there will be anything but laughter in the halls of academia or a modern research mining lab.

The source of the science is also important. With old mining texts you have to consider not only the source but how it came into your knowledge. Not many of us speak fluent Latin or late Middle Ages/middle Renaissance high Bohemian/Germanic dialects much less early Castillo Spanish, Medieval Italian or any of the other many obsolete languages used to write these old manuscripts. As such we end up relying on not only the real world knowledge and intent of the original author but on the accurate translation of those writings into a language we can read with some level of understanding. Often the translation becomes as important as the original text.

As an example I spent several years studying Herbert and Lou Hoover's excellent and seminal English language translation of Georg Bauer's 1555 De Re Metallica. I'm wondering where these "scientific" references are coming from that many of you have offered. Much of De Re Metallica is written as a dialogue about what is believed or passed down through history and what was actually known to be true. As such it was very instrumental in helping to shape the early European understanding of the process of scientific investigation into chemistry and metallurgy. Relying on the various myths, methods, anecdotes and stories investigated in De Re Metallic is not evidence of scientific knowledge but of the process of scientific investigation. Simply because the perception of some phenomena is investigated in De Re Metallica doesn't elevate the phenomena to the level of "science". These are just a few of the many pitfalls I see being ignored in "quoting" these old writings.

This isn't meant as a specific criticism of any particular theories presented in this thread. I'm hoping to up the quality of the investigations many of you are making into phenomena that has yet to be explained. There may be great value to your ideas but if you are going to rely on perceived phenomena to explain real world metal deposits you won't be taken seriously by real miners or scientists until you address how those theories fit into the current knowledge of the natural world. That's not just human nature but the process of scientific investigation.

You may not care if others don't accept your methodology or if your ideas apparently go against current scientific knowledge. Being seen as a dreamer or a crackpot is often the burden of those are exploring new or previously unknown ideas. That doesn't appear to be the case on this and many other threads here. The attempts to ridicule those who challenge your ideas is contrary to the concept of a truly open mind. Accusing others of not being open to new ideas when at the same time not even troubling to learn the basics of the physics behind your area of interest is not an indication of an inquisitive nature.

A lot more tolerance in discussion of both sides of these concepts is needed if these discussions are to be productive. As always, the most productive path to introducing new ideas is to meet others questions and objections with calm rational explanations couched in language and concepts that are familiar to those you are trying to educate. To do that you will need to have a sound understanding of the current pool of knowledge of the physical world and be able to address your ideas in those terms.

Educate yourself and prosper! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Clay,

Some things in this world defy explanation through known science. We know for a fact they happen, but cannot explain why. Two such examples are Ball Lightning and Light Flashes over ore bodies. This isn't just some quote from De Re Metallica. Light flashes were well known to early miners. Jesuits were the inventors of most of the Earth Sciences taught today. They were/and are some of the most knowledgeable people on the planet. They knew light flashes occurred in times of rains and high humidity, and they also knew those light flashes occurred in close proximity to ore bodies. Granted, they were masters (especially German Jesuits) at mining practices (even though they were forbidden by Royal Cedula and Ecclestiastical Precept from participating in ANY mining activities in the New World). Father Johann Nentvig SJ was one of those.

The entire reason for this thread was to see what other people know and maybe someone had seen or heard something I hadn't as to why they happen. If you don't believe they happen, then you are ignorant of history. If you don't believe they have anything to do with underground ore bodies, then that is an opinion I can respect. Mike

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay,

Some things in this world defy explanation through known science. We know for a fact they happen, but cannot explain why. Two such examples are Ball Lightning and Light Flashes over ore bodies. This isn't just some quote from De Re Metallica. Light flashes were well known to early miners. Jesuits were the inventors of most of the Earth Sciences taught today. They were/and are some of the most knowledgeable people on the planet. They knew light flashes occurred in times of rains and high humidity, and they also knew those light flashes occurred in close proximity to ore bodies. Granted, they were masters (especially German Jesuits) at mining practices (even though they were forbidden by Royal Cedula and Ecclestiastical Precept from participating in ANY mining activities in the New World). Father Johann Nentvig SJ was one of those.

The entire reason for this thread was to see what other people know and maybe someone had seen or heard something I hadn't as to why they happen. If you don't believe they happen, then you are ignorant of history. If you don't believe they have anything to do with underground ore bodies, then that is an opinion I can respect. Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike.

I wasn't trying to bring belief into this discussion, in fact my intention was to elicit clear rational thinking that might lead to some insight into the phenomena you want to know more about. That seemed to be your goal too but now you seem to think I was writing about beliefs and if I don't believe in something you do I am "ignorant of history"?

I didn't make any statements about my beliefs or history in my prior post. I simply shared my opinion about how modern scientific method methodology might help your investigation, and consequently your ability to share any knowledge you gain from that investigation.

As you seem to prefer to make this a discussion about belief rather than about discovering the truth about natural phenomena I would normally just leave you to your preferred religion. And so it would go now if it weren't for the fact that you decided to attack my writing as being "ignorant". Really?

Let's take a look at some of the specific statements you base your beliefs on. The first of them appears to be this:

"Some things in this world defy explanation through known science. We know for a fact they happen, but cannot explain why. Two such examples are Ball Lightning and Light Flashes over ore bodies."

If you had taken to heart my suggestion that it would be more productive to back your theories with some real science you would have known that science has a pretty good handle on Ball Lightning since Abrahamson's work in the late 20th century. It's been reproduced in labs worldwide since 2000 and the understanding of that science has led to several new inventions. Not something that defies scientific explanation now is it? A simple search for Ball Lightning on Google will produce the link to Abrahamson's discoveries on the very first page of results.

The concept of 16th century German Jesuit mining scholars might be more informed if you were to study the counter reformation and the 30 years war. "History" as it was. Seems the Jesuits were pretty busy just trying to keep their lives in Germany during that period. Not many succeeded. I doubt they were seriously studying the phenomena of light flashes over ore bodies in Germany prior to their excursions with the Spanish in the Americas. If they were, as you seem to claim, it would be up to you to establish that as a fact - not those who are simply attempting to define the structure of a productive discussion.

I have actually seen ball lightning in nature. Despite studying mineralogy and as a consequence mining, since the early 1960's I have never seen light flashes over ore bodies. I've never seen a Minke whale, the Bosphorus or a Leprechaun either. None of those facts have anything to do with my beliefs or what I wrote.

I've seen many stuffed jackalopes and pictures of jackalopes in my life, and actually owned one of the Herrick brothers examples many years ago. That doesn't mean I "believe" in them.

Proving the negative is a logical impossibility. Asking others to disprove your ideas or agree to them is intellectually dishonest. It will always be up to the one proposing the existence of something to prove the fact and nature of that existence. A person is not "ignorant" because you feel they might not agree with you.

The fact that I never disagreed with any of the theories presented by others in this thread but have been treated as if I were in opposition to those theories simply demonstrates the validity of the subject I did write about. I will restate the summation of my previous writing just so you will have no further reason to mischaracterise or belittle my writing for reasons unconnected to the actual content of that post:

"A lot more tolerance in discussion of both sides of these concepts is needed if these discussions are to be productive. As always, the most productive path to introducing new ideas is to meet others questions and objections with calm rational explanations couched in language and concepts that are familiar to those you are trying to educate. To do that you will need to have a sound understanding of the current pool of knowledge of the physical world and be able to address your ideas in those terms."

Heavy Pans

p.s. - If you look at the links I posted about ball lightning I think you will find there are some significant ideas presented by real scientists that might help considerably in your investigation of light flashes over ore bodies. Those links are as on topic as any other post in this thread. Educate yourself and Prosper! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply Mike.

I wasn't trying to bring belief into this discussion, in fact my intention was to elicit clear rational thinking that might lead to some insight into the phenomena you want to know more about. That seemed to be your goal too but now you seem to think I was writing about beliefs and if I don't believe in something you do I am "ignorant of history"?

I didn't make any statements about my beliefs or history in my prior post. I simply shared my opinion about how modern scientific method methodology might help your investigation, and consequently your ability to share any knowledge you gain from that investigation.

As you seem to prefer to make this a discussion about belief rather than about discovering the truth about natural phenomena I would normally just leave you to your preferred religion. And so it would go now if it weren't for the fact that you decided to attack my writing as being "ignorant". Really?

Let's take a look at some of the specific statements you base your beliefs on. The first of them appears to be this:

"Some things in this world defy explanation through known science. We know for a fact they happen, but cannot explain why. Two such examples are Ball Lightning and Light Flashes over ore bodies."

If you had taken to heart my suggestion that it would be more productive to back your theories with some real science you would have known that science has a pretty good handle on Ball Lightning since Abrahamson's work in the late 20th century. It's been reproduced in labs worldwide since 2000 and the understanding of that science has led to several new inventions. Not something that defies scientific explanation now is it? A simple search for Ball Lightning on Google will produce the link to Abrahamson's discoveries on the very first page of results.

The concept of 16th century German Jesuit mining scholars might be more informed if you were to study the counter reformation and the 30 years war. "History" as it was. Seems the Jesuits were pretty busy just trying to keep their lives in Germany during that period. Not many succeeded. I doubt they were seriously studying the phenomena of light flashes over ore bodies in Germany prior to their excursions with the Spanish in the Americas. If they were, as you seem to claim, it would be up to you to establish that as a fact - not those who are simply attempting to define the structure of a productive discussion.

I have actually seen ball lightning in nature. Despite studying mineralogy and as a consequence mining, since the early 1960's I have never seen light flashes over ore bodies. I've never seen a Minke whale, the Bosphorus or a Leprechaun either. None of those facts have anything to do with my beliefs or what I wrote.

I've seen many stuffed jackalopes and pictures of jackalopes in my life, and actually owned one of the Herrick brothers examples many years ago. That doesn't mean I "believe" in them.

Proving the negative is a logical impossibility. Asking others to disprove your ideas or agree to them is intellectually dishonest. It will always be up to the one proposing the existence of something to prove the fact and nature of that existence. A person is not "ignorant" because you feel they might not agree with you.

The fact that I never disagreed with any of the theories presented by others in this thread but have been treated as if I were in opposition to those theories simply demonstrates the validity of the subject I did write about. I will restate the summation of my previous writing just so you will have no further reason to mischaracterise or belittle my writing for reasons unconnected to the actual content of that post:

"A lot more tolerance in discussion of both sides of these concepts is needed if these discussions are to be productive. As always, the most productive path to introducing new ideas is to meet others questions and objections with calm rational explanations couched in language and concepts that are familiar to those you are trying to educate. To do that you will need to have a sound understanding of the current pool of knowledge of the physical world and be able to address your ideas in those terms."

Heavy Pans

p.s. - If you look at the links I posted about ball lightning I think you will find there are some significant ideas presented by real scientists that might help considerably in your investigation of light flashes over ore bodies. Those links are as on topic as any other post in this thread. Educate yourself and Prosper! :thumbsup:

Clay,

Now don't get what I posted twisted! HAHAHA What I said was that if you don't believe the phenomenon is happening...... There is absolutely no question that the phenomenon has been happening for a loooooong time. That fact is not in question. The only thing that IS in question is what causes it.

Its like me saying that whenever it is going to rain, my joints ache. If someone say that is BS, then they are ignorant of the fact that every time it is going to rain, my joints ache. Now, if I say that the high humidity and general damp of an oncoming rain causes my joints to ache, and you call BS, then I can get behind that. See where I am going? Who, What, When, Where, Why?

1. Who sees it? Recorded historically in several places, but immediate memory is Father Johann Nentvig SJ in his journals.

2. What is it? Light flashes of various colors can be seen.

3. When does it happen? Just after dusk in times of rain and high humidity.

4. Where does this occur? Noticed in the vicinity of unfound ore bodies.

5. Why does this happen? THAT IS THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION!

We have four out of five of what we need to know everything about the phenomenon!

Mike

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good post, have been a study of this for years.

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So, is it possible that the more reactive minerals and salts that are leaching out of the ore bodies could be responsible for the out gassing, or what ever is causing the lights? seems so to me.

JB

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to follow along in the thread. I've never seen the lights. Don't have a very strong background in.....well....anything!:laughing7: I keep seeing mention of out gassing. Maybe, already mentioned and I missed it, or it went over my head, But could what Your seeing be magnetic or electrical type stuff? From different minerals or surrounding minerals or who knows! Some kind of electrical,magnetic,static,natural magnetron :laughing7:type stuff discharge? Interesting stuff! I don't know terms...But maybe it's more mechanical, than chemical. I know,i know they go together. That's the only way I know how to say it or separate it.

I have no clue! Just sitting and wondering....I don't know enough to even wonder. :laughing7:

I have seen foxfire or fairyfire. Glowing logs... That was cool! And all conditions have to be right for it. That's explained by fungus or chemical reaction, if I remember right.

Or we could blame it on the aliens! That would be much easier! :dontknow:

Last edited:

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that hot and cold layers of moist air will create a static charge just strong enough to ignite these subtle gasses. I have witnessed these flashes during this condition. I would like to learn more about this.

Adventure_Time

May 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that hot and cold layers of moist air will create a static charge just strong enough to ignite these subtle gasses. I have witnessed these flashes during this condition. I would like to learn more about this.

Piezoelectric effect - electric generation by mechanical pressures (ultrasounds use a piezoelectric generator then converts it into sounds waves)

This effect has been noted by geologists that wrote a book about their investigation in the Brown Mountain Lights, they discovered during irregular tremors an electric charge would build in certain places within the near by Linville Gorge and at night this charge could be seen lighting up the mist in arranged lines. The geologist noted it didn't seem like a normal fault shift during the tremor, but more like an explosion (think deerfield NH 1840s). In a way it sounds like a giant molten tesla coil. Large amounts of Quartz or Amethysts being squeezed at this fault could play into it, but they also discovered many REE (including osmium/iridium arranged in a partial geodesic sphere) and shock metamorphosed rocks. I was not able to finish the book (yet) so I'm not sure of the conclusions but just the fact that theres a platinum group where it clearly has no business being along with Mesozoic rocks (also had no place or way to get there) would all suggest a LARGE meteor impact in the area in the not so distant past (think dinosaurs or there bouts, mesozoic rocks being 66mya to 270mya). Much of the formations in the surrounding area are from the Protozoic period (1.2bya) to (500mya)

All that said, crazy stuff still happens that we have no reasonable explanation for and I'm glad it does or life would be boring if everything could be explained eh?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions