Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got my CA Drivers License in the mail.
Was surprised to see a gold miner use in the background graphics.
This state was built on mining what the hell went wrong.
Mike
miner.jpg

Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
California Collusion;
The Big Lie
Research | dredge study's;
Mining Research

Exactly :)
But...
This is OLD news for those that have had their heads buried in the sand for the last 20+ years and if you haven't seen it before, or you haven't seen or heard about the cabins being burned or the families being displaced in California for the last 100 years, listed in many places and newspapers many many times and even in this century, then please, just place your head back where it belongs - deep, deep, deep in the sand!
As quoted from the WMA of which many of us have been members since their beginning
""First get your facts straight, then you can distort them as you please." Mark Twain

Environmentalists know if you push a lie long enough, and hard enough, people will believe it's the truth. We expect this from them. When the government assists them in this lie, at the expense of decent, hardworking people, it's unconscionable.

Suction dredging is controversial but does it harm fish or the environment in any appreciable way? In 1960 the California legislature passed the first law which required regulation and permitting of the use of suction dredges, for the protection of salmon spawning areas.

Canyon
Above. Little dredge, big canyon, big lies to ban it.

From 1961 to 1994 suction dredging went on largely unnoticed. In 1994 the first full Environmental Impact Report (EIR) was conducted by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) and concluded suction dredging, under reasonable regulation, would cause no significant harm to the environment.

This should have been the last word, right?

The California Environmental Quality Act, passed in 1970, allows only 30 days for opponents of a project to challenge a completed EIR. In 1994 no one challenged the EIR meaning it was final. The Act also exempts any activity which was ongoing, and required a permit, prior to the passage of the law which meant suction dredging was exempt.

Kind of. CEQA also allows an EIR to be re-opened under a very limited set of circumstances which includes new information is presented which was unknown, and could not have been known at the time of the EIR. Those conditions are very well defined, and also very restrictive. They are meant to keep the government from conducting repeated EIRs each time someone finds some other minor issue with the project, which environmentalists always do.

Almost immediately the environmental groups realized they had missed their opportunity to challenge the EIR and kill suction dredging, but there was no legal way for them to stop it.

The environmental groups began putting pressure on CDFW to conduct a new EIR, one which would find significant effects were in fact occurring and to shut down suction dredging throughout the State.

In 1995 CDFW began the preliminary work to prepare a new EIR, one which they believed would pacify the environmentalists, at the expense of legal mining claim holders. This 1995 effort was killed when miner John Oates obtained a letter from the US Forest Service Oates had asked the US Forest Service minerals examiner why California was immediately conducting another EIR when one had been completed less than a year before.

The USFS minerals officer, Richard Zambiac, called CDFW and spoke to their senior fisheries biologist, Mr. Steven Taylor. The response received isn't surprising, but it is instructive, Mr. Zambiac replied to Oates with the following:

"...he stated he did not know very much about mining, but he knew a lot about writing regulations...Mr. Taylor stated that the reason for the proposed Regulations was because the Department of Fish and Game is getting a lot of pressure from influential special interest groups that don't believe miners should be working in the rivers.' He then went on to say the proposed regulations would be a good starting point to get this situation under control even though the Department had little scientific evidence that dredging in the rivers really has a long term negative impact on fish and other aquatic life."

Save The Salmon

In 2003, responding to complaints from the Karuks the Department sent two fisheries biologists, Mr. Dennis Maria, and Mr. Bob McCallister to the Salmon River to investigate the effects of suction dredging. They went to the river on the last day of dredging season, which meant all effects from a season of dredging were observed. Their report concluded:

"The dredge holes created the only discernable juvenile rearing habitat (rearing & escape cover) that I could see...This rearing habitat consisted of "clean" unimbedded cobbles that covered the dredger pool substrate."

"...the relatively light accumulation of fines observed at this location, the general lack of rearing habitat (cover) in this reach and the relatively high temperatures found here...makes it unlikely that the current dredging impacts will significantly or substantially harm anadromous salmonid spawning..."

"In fact, for an area which had been dredged all summer long, I saw relatively innocuous disturbance to the existing habitat."

"In summary...I saw nothing that would be considered a violation or that would have a significant impact to the fishery or significantly negatively impact the overall biotic community of the Salmon River."

In 2005 the Karuk tribe filed a lawsuit in Alameda County claiming because the coho salmon were now classified as a threatened species and demanded the Department close the Scott, Salmon and Klamath Rivers to suction dredging. This lawsuit, while claiming dredging "may" harm salmon, with no proof, didn't mention the killing of over 75,000 salmon per year by the Indian Tribes on the Klamath River."

Once again... Fishermen are responsible for killing the fish... Duhhhh....

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
giphy.gif

And when I kill and eat the fish, I am eating mercury from dredgers. Thanks for slowly killing me, dregers.
The Mecuryis not from Gold dredging, its from the 1850s .... We dont use it cause we dont need it. They needed it for recovery back then but todays equipment catches the small stuff. If you dont underatand that basic fact then all other discussion is irrelavent.

Ok, youve had your fun. You were correctly "pegged" as Anti mining already. Now go back to the fish forum, where u belong. Say hi to your boss Izzy at the Sierra Fund for us. Bye now

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Mecuryis not from Gold dredging, its from the 1850s .... We dont use it cause we dont need it. They needed it for recovery back then but todays equipment catches the small stuff. If you dont underatand that basic fact then all other discussion is irrelavent.

Ok, youve had your fun. You were correctly "pegged" as Anti mining already. Now go back to the fish forum, where u belong. Say hi to your boss Izzy at the Sierra Fund for us. Bye now

We've already established that dredging only collects 98% of the mercury that was previously locked into the river bottom.

Try to keep up.

I keep putting that into a binary translator hoping for some funny joke or pearl of wisdom, but it's just nonsense.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but then you come right back and say gold dredgers are slowly killing you. You can play your little game, just know that nobody here is buying it for a second. You thought the dumb Hick goldminers wouldnt know your a spy huh?

This is the mercury i personally pulled out of the water in one season going out 2-3 a month by myself with just a shovel and a gold pan! What are you actually doing for the enviorment, fish that you so vehemtly defend through your keyboard? How many fish have you murdered? How many lead weights and sharp hooks, fishing line have you polluted our water ways with? How much mercury have you cleaned up? Zero.

You want to come hear and tell us what we do is harmful. Your clueless. The fish LOVE us. I dig a hole underwater in the gravel bed, guess whats tickling my ankles 5 minutes later? Fish! They love us and they fear you, and the fish are smart!

20171218_184902.jpg 20171218_184425.jpg 20171218_184312.jpg

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"spy" Are you on drugs?

I never called anyone any names, especially not "dumb hick" Do you see yourself as a "dumb hick"?

Thanks for removing mercury from the water.

How many fish have I murdered? Not very many, but then I eat them. Are you saying you're a vegan?

I clean up after myself, and I clean up after other people too. Lead, hooks, line, etc. I bring home pocket fulls when I fish, bags full when I detect, and a little when I pan.

I have a drop of mercury in a bottle I got while panning. I'll keep adding to it.

Yeah, great, you tickle fish. So they're in the direct path of your destruction eating up whatever mercury tainted goodies you kick up?

I'm only playing this game because you guys are. I came here asking questions and looking for help, and I got some. Go ahead though, keep putting a wedge in between yourself and the people you need help from.

Maybe in the next ten years you'll finally get those laws fixed.

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mytime, awesome job of removing that Hg and retorting. My hat is off to you!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH I see you're from the SF bay area, I'm sorry, you don't have to worry about the little dredges
the Big Harbor dredges are stirring up the PCB's, BPA's and past usage of DDT the vapors drifting over are mimicking estrogens

haHA It's a joke Son.

Last edited:

standard8

Jul 17, 2015
Seattle Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salmon go out to the big blue ocean and eat and eat and eat. But the food chain is polluted and salmon and other top of the chain critters accumulate mercury. Then those salmon come back to the same place they started out from to spawn die and distribute the mercury that they picked up out in the ocean. We are soooo foooooked.

KRIKITTS

Sep 19, 2014
STATE OF JEFFERSON
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"spy" Are you on drugs?

I never called anyone any names, especially not "dumb hick" Do you see yourself as a "dumb hick"?

Thanks for removing mercury from the water.

How many fish have I murdered? Not very many, but then I eat them. Are you saying you're a vegan?

I clean up after myself, and I clean up after other people too. Lead, hooks, line, etc. I bring home pocket fulls when I fish, bags full when I detect, and a little when I pan.

I have a drop of mercury in a bottle I got while panning. I'll keep adding to it.

Yeah, great, you tickle fish. So they're in the direct path of your destruction eating up whatever mercury tainted goodies you kick up?

I'm only playing this game because you guys are. I came here asking questions and looking for help, and I got some. Go ahead though, keep putting a wedge in between yourself and the people you need help from.

You should direct your inquiries to our friend ASSEMBLER.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good try there...........LOL.
Rather read about "Surveys".........LOL.

The following comes to mind on how to handle this.......LOL.
Positive she saw Bigfoot, she's suing California
Positive she saw Bigfoot, she's suing California | Fox News
Claudia Ackley is positive that she and her two daughters came across Bigfoot in a tree in southern California last year, but when she called different state authorities to report the sighting, she got the same response.
Nope, they told her, you saw a bear. As a result, the 46-year-old has filed a lawsuit against the state for failing to recognize Sasquatch as a distinct species, reports the Press-Enterprise.
In this case, you can judge for yourself: An ABC 30 report on Ackley's sighting includes phone video shot by her daughter near Lake Arrowhead in the San Bernardino mountains.
Southern California woman claims she saw Bigfoot; sues California to prove it
SoCal woman claims she saw Bigfoot; sues California to prove it | abc30.com
CRESTLINE, Calif. --
A Crestline woman said she spotted a sasquatch in the San Bernardino mountains and filed a lawsuit to prove it.

Last edited:

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH I see you're from the SF bay area, I'm sorry, you don't have to worry about the little dredges
the Big Harbor dredges are stirring up the PCB's, BPA's and past usage of DDT the vapors drifting over are mimicking estrogens

haHA It's a joke Son.

Nah, I totally get it. We've been poisoning ourselves nearly forever.

me said:
I don't have some kinda vendetta against recreational dredgers. In the grand scheme of things, it seems they're doing minimal, temporary harm that pales in insignificance to yearly storm flows or corporate america, and if they're actually collecting 98% of heavies then they're helping the ecosystem. You miners are the true green party. Thank you.

Salmon go out to the big blue ocean and eat and eat and eat. But the food chain is polluted and salmon and other top of the chain critters accumulate mercury. Then those salmon come back to the same place they started out from to spawn die and distribute the mercury that they picked up out in the ocean. We are soooo foooooked.

Yup, we're trashing this planet. We are definitely foooooked.

But all those are specific to mytime, well maybe not the "in the direct path of " jab.

Thanks Assembler, I see your posts about the laws and have been reading a bunch.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Assembler, I see your posts about the laws and have been reading a bunch.
You are welcome. This one is trying to focus more so in that area so every one can read and decide first hand. Will tell a joke now and then as the topics may not be very exciting to do the research work on. The real intent is to help people for themselves on there outlook on activities and life in general. A few 'Jabs or attacks' is part of the price one may go through along the way. Thank you every one for your inputs.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We've already established that dredging only collects 98% of the mercury that was previously locked into the river bottom.

First off.. if all the mercury is "locked into the river bottom" how has it migrated further down the waterways like it has for millions of years??? Since my boots are on "my" particular creek I'll use it as an example. By the time summer arrives there can be as much as 6 to 10 feet of overburden on the bedrock base of this creek but just one heavy storm:

View attachment 1557026

and the bedrock is polished clean. If you think that my dredging activities causes that much erosion I'll have a good laugh. Why, being a person that you point out as an avid river user, are you so centered that gravel disturbance is such a bad thing. And since you feel that dredging causes gravel base damage go read this and get some knowledge that you are so much searching for:

http://www.krisweb.com/biblio/trinity_trincobos_gma_2001_gravel.pdf

And...."only collects 98% of the mercury" doesn't it stand to reason that the next time ( perhaps a season or two later) a dredging activity takes place in that area that "2% loss" will also have 98% recovery when sent thru a dredge? I'm no mathmatican but counting on my fingers puts the recovery rate after several seasons becomes a mute point. But that is not the focus when you really research "mercury" in a truly scientific manner. There's a link that I can't locate explaining the different forms that mercury takes when treated in variuos manners...maybe someone here can post it. If you want just look up cinnabar on google.

fingerchili:I'm only playing this game because you guys are. I came here asking questions and looking for help, and I got some. Go ahead though, keep putting a wedge in between yourself and the people you need help from.

You pretty much put it all out there buddy, what seems to be a game for you is not a game for allot of us AND i certainly don't need HELP from you and your people. And the above highlighted word you used above is perhaps why my mild hostility. I've invited many folks to mine on this claim (actually access to four claims combined total of over 80 acres) but there is just no room in the inn for you. If you really came here to learn then I would have suggested to keep quiet and read before coming off as a 白痴 .

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Try to keep up.

I keep putting that into a binary translator hoping for some funny joke or pearl of wisdom, but it's just nonsense.
The thing is... the mercury isn't really locked into the bottom, it gets stirred up every winter and driven by the high water, closer and closer to the ocean. We dredgers didn't put the mercury there in the first place and lots of it comes straight from mother nature. Yes, some old poorly built dredges will only recover 98%, of what they gather, so they were collecting 98% of the mercury that was sitting in or under the river bed before we became outlaws with a maximum 2% loss. I built my dredges to recover all of the mercury that was mixed in the river bed. The mercury that was at the bottom, in the bedrock cracks was never put thru the dredge. We pulled it out by hand with the gold. We used specially designed systems that had basically no loss at all. Dredges are used to get thru the riverbed to the bedrock. Everything stuck down in the cracks of the bedrock was meticulously pulled out by hand. It's just another part of the big lie...
This video shows how some dredges were used to get to the bottom.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=27s&v=VOelpwv8aC0
This video shows my dredge and how it was built specifically for mercury removal. I pulled many pounds of mercury out of the river system myself before I was made an outlaw for cleaning up California's environment.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2hp0fzLzZBs
Being retired from the job that I dearly loved in 2009, by people who just couldn't tell the truth and had plenty of money to lie to the public with no recourse, doesn't change the fact that I did my best to clean the rivers, build perfect swimming holes that people thought were totally natural, build perfect dredges designed to catch everything. I've personally pulled hundreds of pounds of fishing weights out of the river's, and over 20lbs of mercury out of just one hole by hand. When I got to the bottom, it was like a mirror looking back at me and every bit of mercury was placed into jars, then cleaned and turned in to a local chemical company... A lifetime of helping clean the environment was shut down by commiefornia environazi lies... Now I'm an Arizonian!
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL34DA41102B4C46D3

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Try to keep up.

ha, I don't need a translator to understand your nonsense...It crystal clear

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good try there...........LOL.
Rather read about "Surveys".........LOL.

The following comes to mind on how to handle this.......LOL.
Positive she saw Bigfoot, she's suing California
Positive she saw Bigfoot, she's suing California | Fox News
Claudia Ackley is positive that she and her two daughters came across Bigfoot in a tree in southern California last year, but when she called different state authorities to report the sighting, she got the same response.
Nope, they told her, you saw a bear. As a result, the 46-year-old has filed a lawsuit against the state for failing to recognize Sasquatch as a distinct species, reports the Press-Enterprise.
In this case, you can judge for yourself: An ABC 30 report on Ackley's sighting includes phone video shot by her daughter near Lake Arrowhead in the San Bernardino mountains.
Southern California woman claims she saw Bigfoot; sues California to prove it
SoCal woman claims she saw Bigfoot; sues California to prove it | abc30.com
CRESTLINE, Calif. --
A Crestline woman said she spotted a sasquatch in the San Bernardino mountains and filed a lawsuit to prove it.

he actually believes hes programmed to contribute to this forum...

LOL.....

Cause endless pointless non related self quoted posts are so very helpful

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
he actually believes hes programmed to contribute to this forum...

LOL.....

Cause endless pointless non related self quoted posts are so very helpful
Not interested in contributing to the multi topic thread other then a 'License for mining'.......LOL.

Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
giphy.gif

And when I kill and eat the fish, I am eating mercury from dredgers. Thanks for slowly killing me, dregers.

Now don't get too worked up about getting killed. This whole debate about mercury in salmon is way out of proportion. Try a little research on selenium and mercury and you will find that the selenium counteracts the ill effects of the mercury. Both the salmon (as well as albacore tuna) and humans have more selenium than mercury in their tissues. Many misconceptions out there about this mercury thing and is a great scare tactic to manipulate the ill informed in to compliance to an agenda.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions