Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I was trying to edit the post and messed it all up.

My original post was that I see that someone hits the motherload. I am saying I hope it is Parker or the Hoffmans and not Dakota Fred.

The show based on the how they edit it has Dakota Fred rubbing me the wrong way. Fred told the producer that the show makes him look like someone who is only out for himself but he is really a nice guy. My idea of a nice guy would have lent parker the electrical panel. However he did claim it was his "partner" who wanted $10k for the panel (or was it Fred?)

The Hoffmans seem to make all kinds of mistakes and bad decisions, and Parker is impulsive, but he is only 17!

Still I hope it is either of them, but at the same time if it is Fred, well good for him, I wish it where me! Maybe the next time on the river I will hit a pocket for a hundred ounces!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever see a fat meth addict? I live in what was once called "The Valley of Meth Death", and also know the signs
of addiction...and as best I can tell none of those signs are present. "Tweaker"? No sores on his face, he's overweight
and his WIFE AND KIDS were there too, and they were all living very close to one another in that compound. Don't
ya think one of the wives/guys would have said something?

Without a single shred of evidence exists to prove such a theory, to form such an opinion only after watching
a 2 hr. TV show seems just a bit too presumptuous, and "presumption" is the Mother of all F-ups!

I like Todd...wouldn't work for him (but I would Dave), but he's a guy with his heart in the right spot
and is at least making every effort to improve his lot in life along with the lives of his workers.

Again, JMHO.

Every addict starts somewhere, just because he isn't showing late stage signs doesn't mean he isn't tweeking.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Rush was better a couple seasons ago. It's is just what it is - entertainment. Let's see - 800 plus oz of gold at say $1600 per ounce. Call it $850k because I don't have a calculator on me at the moment. Take what was it, 20% off the top for use of the land? Take off another $500k for the two washplants. Take off $25k for rental on 8 pieces of equipment. Take off $100 per day (estimated) expenses per person, to include their rented trailers. Let's say it's a 120 day season. Fuel, what fuel? Now we all know the Discovery Channel, Volvo, Garrett, Keene and anybody else's name you saw on the show paid to have their stuff used. If you dropped out the sponsorships, they lost money. (And now pay for land reclamation). Their Math doesn't work out.
..........not to mention they kept talking about spot price on pre smelt gold........

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Scripted and filmed for entertainment like all the reality shows . And it seems that there will be no end to other so called reality shows . I myself am sick of it and decided to just stop watching them period . There are better ways to waste brain-cells . IMHO , Woodstock

Edge2sharp

Greenie
Nov 11, 2012
This show is such a sham...these guys get paid for being on the show if they find gold or not...and from what I hear its pretty good money...its not risk taking or dreaming...none of these guys would be mining if it wasn't for a show except maybe Parker helping his grandpa...I only congratulate Todd on bringing an idea to discovery and getting paid for it...everyone says to replace Todd with Dave but that will never happen...Todd and his dad are co-creators with discovery on the show...they get paid the most from the show (over a million in 3 seasons its been reported) They haven't even mastered finding gold in the North but they are going south in totally different territory? Its just a joke...no real investors would invest in these guys...this show has become a sham just like most reality shows since obviously it isn't real life reality...for entertainment only but just wish discovery would be more honest about it....they are mining the audience more than they are gold anymore

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Every addict starts somewhere, just because he isn't showing late stage signs doesn't mean he isn't tweeking.

I repeat myself once again:

Without a single shred of evidence existing to prove such a theory, to form such an opinion only after watching
a 2 hr. TV show seems just a bit too presumptuous, to me.

Guess I'm just too old to understand how this guy appears on a TV show, and that somehow gives people the
right to trash them and their name simply because there is no accountability/responsibility connected to web comments.
IMO, it's kind of like calling someone a child molester or wife beater just because you don't like the way they look, and *I*
for one would not even consider such an accusation without factual evidence being presented first. Back when I was younger
and growing up on a ranch, if a person was to slander another man's name, he best be able to prove it or be apologizing...
otherwise, a serious ass-whooping will soon be coming his way.

Different world today, I guess, and people certainly do have the right to their opinion. I'll keep the rest of mine
to myself, and apologies if I got off topic a bit.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've Lived on a Ranch too, and Todd Hoffman is on something.....and if he wants to whoop my ass he can come do it cameras and all:tongue3:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Back when I was younger and growing up on a ranch, if a person was to slander another
man's name, he best be able to prove it or be apologizing...otherwise, a serious ass-whooping will
soon be coming his way.

Did you note the "back when I was younger"? As in over 40 years ago, and it was meant as a
"the way things used to be" comment, not some challenge to you as an individual. Wasn't meant to
disrespect you as an individual, but more of a commentary about when life's rules were much simpler
when it came to treating others with respect. In fact, the entire paragraph was centered around the
thought of how people used to interact on an entirely different level than today.

You've got every right to your opinion, and even though I disagree it sure doesn't mean I would
disrespect it, however I simply disagreed and stated my case as to why. No worries, and FWIW
I do, truly hope you're not right, as in reality that would not affect our lives one bit, but it sure
would do damage to his family and friends that trust the guy. Meth is just...evil, and no doubt
you and I have both seen lives/families destroyed by it.

All the best to ya, and may the next nugget you dig (or the one after that maybe?) be the
stuff of dreams.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I bet "back in your day" you never had people stoned or high on your ranch. I bet the biggest problem you had was the guys getting drunk on the weekend. I'm also pretty damn sure that if your ranch had anybody as worthless as Tod, he would have been sent packing LONG ago. You aren't the only person here who grew up on a farm / ranch, and you aren't talking to kids here. If Tod ever treated me IN PERSON the way he treats his crew I would have knocked him on his ass long ago. I give no respect to those who show none for themselves or to those around them. Respect is earned, not given. Tod has earned nothing but contempt.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this last season was filmed summer 2011 to be aired 2012/13 and they still had the gold for a live show in Feb 2013 :icon_scratch:
Discovery must have bought the gold off them so they could get paid and still have gold to show on TV.

GG~

Edge2sharp

Greenie
Nov 11, 2012

Without a single shred of evidence existing to prove such a theory, to form such an opinion only after watching

Guess I'm just too old to understand how this guy appears on a TV show, and that somehow gives people the
right to trash them and their name simply because there is no accountability/responsibility connected to web comments.
IMO, it's kind of like calling someone a child molester or wife beater just because you don't like the way they look, and *I*
for one would not even consider such an accusation without factual evidence being presented first. Back when I was younger
and growing up on a ranch, if a person was to slander another man's name, he best be able to prove it or be apologizing...
otherwise, a serious ass-whooping will soon be coming his way.

Different world today, I guess, and people certainly do have the right to their opinion. I'll keep the rest of mine
to myself, and apologies if I got off topic a bit.

No disrespect intended but it is a totally different world today and they didn't have these so called reality shows back then....Todd and these guys put themselves out there on tv for the whole world to see and be judged...everyone will watch everything they do and listen to everything they say...they are the ones who wanted to be televised and wanted fame or else they could of just went up there on their own and tried just like everyone else without a show....they would definitely not make it for sure without a show tho...I dont feel bad for these guys whatsoever being judged....they knew what they are getting into and making money off of it

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never felt disrespect i was just stating my position that Is pretty obvious that the dude was acting noticeably different...it was already being talked about in other forums I didn't even know that.He even eluded thad his Malaria meds and whatever exotic illness are effecting him...just funny that his Nose is on fire as he stated of course it is Party Animal....lol...did you see when he turned around at one point ant did the armflex pump nod to the guys.....when he was standing up fo something, they all looked back at him like OH man you are such a Kook what have you gotten us into. If the show is so staged and theses guys are raking it in on the reality t.v. racket why are two of the main guys from the show who actually work leaving...Todd "Casey Jones" Hoffman (Thats a Grateful Dead song Reference for the squares in the room:laughing7:) Truth is im just Drinkin some coffee Bull$hittin with the tneters...i take everything with a grain of salt and don't know what is up with Todd but, know he sucks as a leader...and has a zillion excuses and maybe his remarks as of late are more of the same..:occasion14:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good points and interesting about the guys holding onto thier gold so it will increase in value...Those guys had a sweet Alaskan vacation as far as I would be concerned...sign me up

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good points and interesting about the guys holding onto thier gold so it will increase in value...Those guys had a sweet Alaskan vacation as far as I would be concerned...sign me up

..............I seriously wanna go dredge in the Bering Sea!!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No doubt that Todd is inept as a miner, and IMO Dave should have been the one ramrodding the
whole outfit. Still, I find the show entertaining and I guess that's what watching TV is all about...
being entertained and maybe even learning a thing or two now and then.

Jason: the only pot we had back in those days was $15 a "lid" garbage from Mexico, and if I
recall correctly you *might* get a slight buzz off the stuff after a dozen joints, but getting
no-buzz and a headache was much more likely. (please don't ask how I could know such
intimate details >:D ) Folks drank a few beers on a Sat. night, but it was a very rare occurrence when
there were any issues, and the worst argument I can recall was when my old man sold a
horse one of the hands was planning on buying and keeping for himself.

You guys could be entirely correct about Todd using some substances, I disagree, but
again, it really doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the long run. I seem to have a thing for
supporting the underdog in any fight, but with so many others having dissenting opinions
it could very well be Y'all are right on target. If so, there's little doubt that the truth
will surface at some point...always does.

Let's see what next season brings...

Last edited:

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like the show, just not sure if going south of the border will work out. Todd is kinda a doof though.

Folks here who can look at someone and say he's drugging really are just looking for attention and have no real input on this site, just skip their posts and pay no attention.

AstroidMiner

Greenie
Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Todd's coke dealer said that "if he was high on blow during the live broadcast he didnt get it from me" So that pretty much settles that rumor

Ordell

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to the Internet. You must be new here.

People are guilty until proven innocent and if they are disliked people will assume, presume and fabricate the worst things about them. They have no qualms about telling themselves insane lies and then getting worked up into a frenzy over it. I've seen this too many times in my years.

Like the Rush song goes, "Thank the stars you're not that way, turn your back and walk away."

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose that it's possible that I may have jumped to a false conclusion about Todds use of Cocaine, simply because he seemed to exhibit the most obvious symptoms associated with the drugs abuse.

If I have falsely accused him then I hereby apologize. But let the record show that I do not believe his lame excuse for exhibiting those symptoms any more than I believe that he or I are incapable of human failings.

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread