Good CW Relics and Housesite Goodies Today!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Mr. Rodeo Recon and I got together for our weekly Tuesday Hunt today. :) Since the weather was in the 70's for the high (unlike last week when we were out on 90 degree days :P), we hit two spots. The second spot was a small house site that yielded only a flat button, a harmonica reed, and two toe taps (would've been a housesite trifecta with a suspender clip in the mix 8) ). Since the finds there weren't incredibly exciting, all I'll say is that it was a fun woods hunt during which I saw a cool moth.

Moth.jpg

Even though the finds there were meager, we'd had a great day already by 2pm when we got on the second site. So let me tell you now about the first part of our day...

We'd had the uncommon experience of hunting a pasture earlier today. We pulled up to a great old farmhouse (the yard of which will be a back-up spot for us in the future, I'm sure). The kind old lady inside told us to hunt in the pasture all we wanted. :thumbsup: As we were walking down there without all the heavy gear, I kept thinking this would be Sweet in comparison to the hunts we've been doing. When we got on the site, we quickly found the iron patch--and I couldn't believe that I could actually hunt without the searchcoil hitting something every sweep. :P It felt....EASY!

We were enjoying ourselves in the sunny, non-sweaty, non-tick-infested, non-poison ivy-covered pasture. ;D

Fields.jpg

Needless to say, the finds started to slowly make their way into our pouches. A suspender clip for Rodeo and a toe tap for me...and then Rodeo dug something and waved me over. When I got there, my gut instinct screamed "SCABBARD TIP!" (The relic hunter in me is never far beneath the surface.) I'm pretty darn sure that's what this is--perhaps someone can give me a positive ID of the item. (The case for this being military was further strengthened later in the hunt... :wink:)

Scabbard Tip.jpg

Scabbard Tip1.jpg

My next target I thought I'd gotten--of all things--not a LC, or a 2 Cent Piece...but an IH. :P I took a photo or two and called Rodeo over, carefully picked it up...and then realized it was a Flat Button False Alarm. ::)

Flat Button False Alarm.jpg

We kept coaxing the sparse good targets from the non-ticky pasture. I then dug something that I believe is my favorite house site item so far. When I saw it in the hole, I just had to smile. I call this photo "Metal Detecting is True Love."

Metal Detecting Love.jpg

A Beautiful little stamped brass heart. :)

Meanwhile Rodeo was in top form, working the site with his passion HIGH:

Rodeo.jpg

After a little while without any good signal besides Big Iron, I got a decent brass signal on the Mighty Tesoro. It turned out to be a two-piece button. ;D I was hoping this one would turn out to be an Eagle Button...and indeed, it was. :thumbsup:

Eagle Dug.jpg

Rodeo was meanwhile filling his pouch with goodies, including this interesting piece of decorated brass that I believe might be a portion of a ram rod channel. Perhaps someone can help with the ID...

Ram Rod Channel.jpg

Ram Rod Channel1.jpg

My last target of the day was this cool piece of stamped, silvered brass with a female figure on it. Any ideas on this one is much appreciated as well. When I found it, it was bent...but I always carefully straighten items like these--as well as the toe taps and suspender clips...

Silver Plated Portrait.jpg

It had gotten into the afternoon by that time, and the good targets had waned considerably...plus we'd gotten a little nervous about the momma cows, their babies, and the Big BULL encroaching gradually on our spot. Hint: The BULL is in the middle of this photo. He is the one with the horns. :wink: He also has other things that make him anatomically different from the female cows...but we can't mention exactly what those are on Treasurenet. :-X It's a "family forum." :D

Bull.jpg

Upvote 0

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro

Attachments

• DSCN0953.JPG
    DSCN0953.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,037
  • DSCN0953.JPG
    DSCN0953.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,042

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that great bunch of relics Buck. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Grat pics and post.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
Beautiful pictures and some great relics from you guys again. :thumbsup: That wide open spot is making me drool. :tongue3:
I'm going out on a limb here, but I think that item in the 3rd & 4th picture is a bull horn tip. :icon_scratch: :tard: :tongue3: :wink:
Congrats on the decorative heart too. The "Mighty Tesoro" rules. :icon_king:
-MM-

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice post and nice finds!

Congrats on a great hunt, you have a beautiful spot there.

Nat

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB, I don't know what I like the most :) I'd be ecstatic with finding any of those pieces!

I have to admit though, I probably would get side-tracked a bit with all the beautiful scenery
around your hunting grounds. . . before MD'ing, I liked to wander the woods to photograph also.

Take care,
watercolor

inneedoftherapy

Feb 29, 2008
Between the cornrows, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
There is one item in the above photo that we still haven't figured out yet...we think it's SILVER. But we have no idea what it is. Looks like an alligator or lizard with a loop on its nose for fastening it to something else, and its tail is hook-shaped. It strikes me as an odd design for jewelry. And if it is modern, it'd be the only modern thing from the site. We'll keep working on it, and if you'd like we can post some close-up photos of the item.

try looking here http://weekend-wanderers.itgo.com/pictures11.htm and checking out the
Silver Bodkin or Hair Pin it really resembles yours.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story and pics, BB. Love the relics! Looks like an awesome field to hunt. The moth is very cool, too.

HH

p.s. What is the shiny object, top right corner, in the second moth pic? Looks like a bug wing? :icon_scratch:

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
BuckleBoy said:
Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Cool relics. I also like the moth. To bad you didn't get a pic of the top of him though. Did you ever see the deathhead moth? It looks like a skull print on the top of it's thorax. I'm into nature almost as much as detecting. My wife and i are really into nature photography. My nephews are alittle single minded. Everytime I try to talk about photography they look at me funny as if to say "what does that have to do with detecting" Oh well that must be why they are so good at it. Total devotion.
Chris

Chris,

I actually think that an interest in nature AND photography goes hand in hand. Of the members of the Iron Brigade, Rodeo is one Heck of a Photographer--and he's a "bug guy" (can tell you the Latin names for anything you'll run across in the woods). Kindafoundabuckle was a PROFESSIONAL photographer at one time, and has had many photos published. And I just like both nature and photography.

And of course I got a photo of the top of him. I just thought it was odd in the first place to start a post with a photo of a moth--much less TWO photos of a moth. :D Here you are:

Regards,

Buckles
Love the relics BB,nice job. I see a cicada in the background behind the moth. Are you in an area where there is a 17 year brood awakening?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michiganne said:
Nice story and pics, BB. Love the relics! Looks like an awesome field to hunt. The moth is very cool, too.

HH

p.s. What is the shiny object, top right corner, in the second moth pic? Looks like a bug wing? :icon_scratch:

Cicada wing.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
inneedoftherapy said:
There is one item in the above photo that we still haven't figured out yet...we think it's SILVER. But we have no idea what it is. Looks like an alligator or lizard with a loop on its nose for fastening it to something else, and its tail is hook-shaped. It strikes me as an odd design for jewelry. And if it is modern, it'd be the only modern thing from the site. We'll keep working on it, and if you'd like we can post some close-up photos of the item.

try looking here http://weekend-wanderers.itgo.com/pictures11.htm and checking out the
Silver Bodkin or Hair Pin it really resembles yours.

You're right. Good eye! It's very close--right down to the "scoop." Although on this one the "scoop" is really a hollow eyelet...and I don't know why anyone would want either an alligator or lizard in their hair. ???

In favor of it being old: 1. We usually find absolutely no item during out woods housesite hunts that is modern...even the shotgun casings are old. 2. The piece is cast in two separate portions--there is a seam running up the underbelly of the lizard, and the tail was added on later 3. It doesn't appear to be aluminum--it rings up high on the detector, and it wasn't tarnished from being underground. 4. The odds of someone walking through the woods and losing anything at the exact spot where the old house was (now not a single trace of its existence)...those odds are astronomical, but it is possible.

Depth of targets cannot be used to determine age in the woods...in some cases, hundred year old finds are on the surface under the leaves. Most targets tend toward the shallow side.

I'm hoping that it'll prove to be old...

I'll try to get Rodeo to take some photos and post this one in the whatzit threads. I think this item will need its own thread.

Thank you for your help,

Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK folks--Josh, John, and relichunters in particular--so this is the bottom brass piece for a flag, right? Would this have been a battle flag, or did civilian flag sport these as well?? Any thoughts?

Regards,

Buckles

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Cool relics, nice pics. Talk that old woman into letting you detect her back yard, bound to be some interesting stuff there.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prober said:
Cool relics, nice pics. Talk that old woman into letting you detect her back yard, bound to be some interesting stuff there.

Her house is a little over a hundred years old...not quite as old as we'd like, but it's a back-up site now. I'm sure she'd let us detect it. She's one of the nicest owners I've ever met. :)

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Indiana Co. Pa......... finds include,confedera
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
another interesting hunt BB,what a rare treat to have temps like that this time of year,especially where you live.Here it was in the upper 50's and low 60's for my last hunt. Going back to your previous post,I've found that cellar holes make awful photo op's don't they ? I've tried photographing quite a few but like the saying goes you have to be there to appreciate it ;-) You remind me so much of Les Stroud walking around in the woods with that hat on ! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread