Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Huntress19

Greenie
Feb 15, 2017
Near Fort Bragg, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1140900 Pro-Pointer AT Waterproof Pinpointing Metal Detector, Orange
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thumb_IMG_9662_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_9661_1024.jpg

I took the rocks to an assayer, and he could not identify the 'metal' on these...not magnetic. I have absolutely zero experience with rocks/stones of any sort...totally new so 'chemical testing' is a bit over my head. Was going to try to visit a college geology dept until I discovered this website. I hope I'm not wasting your time and I appreciate all feedback!! ~BB~

omgnarly

Greenie
Feb 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried the streak test and the color it leaves behind is a dark color- when smeared it's burgundy brown which is why it confuses me. the closest rocks I found to it was Hematite or Magnetite but the streaks do not really match and I can't find pictures of one that looks similar. I don't have a magnet to test it- but it doesn't respond to any metals.:icon_scratch:

omgnarly

Greenie
Feb 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry responded to thread and not to post. *Dark and Burgundy when smeared* no magnet to test but doesn't respond to metals itself*Scratches glass and scratches a copper penny.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1415391 View attachment 1415392

I took the rocks to an assayer, and he could not identify the 'metal' on these...not magnetic. I have absolutely zero experience with rocks/stones of any sort...totally new so 'chemical testing' is a bit over my head. Was going to try to visit a college geology dept until I discovered this website. I hope I'm not wasting your time and I appreciate all feedback!! ~BB~

Your rock is granite, which often contains mica. Probably Muscovite in your specimens.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I tried the streak test and the color it leaves behind is a dark color- when smeared it's burgundy brown which is why it confuses me. the closest rocks I found to it was Hematite or Magnetite but the streaks do not really match and I can't find pictures of one that looks similar. I don't have a magnet to test it- but it doesn't respond to any metals.:icon_scratch:

I'd go with hematite, which can be mixed up with other things throwing the streak color slightly off.
Unless it can be scratched with a knife, consider it hematite.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Performed the streak test and it left no marking.

I suppose slag is a possibility. The pourous nature of the specimen might indicate that.
I know of no natural mineral with those properties, but to be sure someone might have to see it in person to be sure.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a large vein of sky blue deposits in the high mountains north of Pagosa Springs, Co. Here are some photos

20161230_192306[1].jpg

20161230_191934[1].jpg

This vein is characterized by an amorphous, white deposit either in the middle or on both sides of a blue mineral deposit. The country rock is a an ancient conglomerate.

Any ideas what this might be? I'm thinking the blue is copper, but not sure.

Last edited:

Jaybear13

Feb 12, 2017
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here help this is the same rock not magnetic but i grinded it to see if it sparked no but the dust kinda lit on fire. 0217171921c.jpg

Attachments

• 0217171921c.jpg
    0217171921c.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 69

Jamez

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2017
Tell City
Detector(s) used
cheap ass bounty hunter and determination
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
strange rock

Found 2 feet under the floor of my 1941 garage I tore down looks odd, we call this kind of rock granite sandstone, Tell City IN. Makes for a neat yard rock thanks for any input James Malone

Attachments

• KIMG0341.jpg
    KIMG0341.jpg
    746.3 KB · Views: 58
  • KIMG0338.jpg
    KIMG0338.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70
  • KIMG0339.jpg
    KIMG0339.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • KIMG0340.jpg
    KIMG0340.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 77

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160905_185318_resized-2.jpg

This was identified as Oxidized Copper with Quartz Dome by the museum. Can you confirm this identification or is it something else?

Acadien1604

Feb 19, 2017
Canada alberta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep i have a rock im not sure is a meteor or not is i try witH magnet nothing ? Some people know who that? I find it 15 years ago when

I go on beach i see that from in sky dropped just few metter of me and i run for and i dig in the hole he make above 1 feet. Still hot little bit. So i have no idea what is that ?? 16681734_1243817572354412_2725748091651281114_n.jpg 16864361_1243817849021051_1890331355421829912_n.jpg

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dustedyou started this thread years ago because of his ability to identify ore and rocks. Since he left this thread seems more like show-and-tell than it does a place where you can come to have ore and rocks identified. I don't see any experts in here any more who can identify samples, which is sad and defeats the whole purpose of the thread. Am I wrong? Are there still people reading this thread who can help identify samples?

Bluea25

Feb 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0750.JPG
Please help me identify this rock. It was found in the lake havasu AZ area.
Thank you ��

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found a large vein of sky blue deposits in the high mountains north of Pagosa Springs, Co. Here are some photos

View attachment 1415644

View attachment 1415645

This vein is characterized by an amorphous, white deposit either in the middle or on both sides of a blue mineral deposit. The country rock is a an ancient conglomerate.

Any ideas what this might be? I'm thinking the blue is copper, but not sure.

I'd also say the blue is a copper mineral. The white looks glassy, so possibly opal, a hardness test with quartz will confirm.
Opal is scratched by quartz. If not scratched, it's likely another silica-rich mineral like chalcedony.

I'd keep looking for sulphides that area, also keep an eye out for gold.

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found 2 feet under the floor of my 1941 garage I tore down looks odd, we call this kind of rock granite sandstone, Tell City IN. Makes for a neat yard rock thanks for any input James Malone

The images ain't good enough to further narrow down choices, I'm afraid. Try again with better pics!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1416359

This was identified as Oxidized Copper with Quartz Dome by the museum. Can you confirm this identification or is it something else?

My first thought was skarn, it can occur with copper & quartz. But it's hard to tell, polished specimens are extra troublesome to ID.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep i have a rock im not sure is a meteor or not is i try witH magnet nothing ? Some people know who that? I find it 15 years ago when

I go on beach i see that from in sky dropped just few metter of me and i run for and i dig in the hole he make above 1 feet. Still hot little bit. So i have no idea what is that ?? View attachment 1416422 View attachment 1416424

Do a streak test (= Rubb against a unglazed piece of porcelain) and get back on what colour you get. Also try scratch it with a knife.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dustedyou started this thread years ago because of his ability to identify ore and rocks. Since he left this thread seems more like show-and-tell than it does a place where you can come to have ore and rocks identified. I don't see any experts in here any more who can identify samples, which is sad and defeats the whole purpose of the thread. Am I wrong? Are there still people reading this thread who can help identify samples?

Look closer. I'm here on occasion.:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread