Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

Bluea25

Feb 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly agate/chalcedony. I'd need to see the rough rock to make a better guess.
IMG_0757.JPG IMG_0758.JPG
I'm curious as to why the inside looks the way it does.. usually a rock likes like a rock inside also . Lol . As u can tell I m very new to this . Thank you for the help :)

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1416572 View attachment 1416574
I'm curious as to why the inside looks the way it does.. usually a rock likes like a rock inside also . Lol . As u can tell I m very new to this . Thank you for the help :)

Chalcedony indeed. If it were agate we'd see concentric banding in the rock.
Chalcedony can form in low temperature hydrothermal systems. (think "hot" water)
Upon cooling things will start to crystallize out silica (among other, depending on what's dissolved), which then will fill up cavities, fractures and the likes.

In your case I'd say a cavity was filled up.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great! What are your qualifications if you don't mind me asking? Are you a geologist or mining professional?

This is not a job interview, I voluntarily answer questions, mind you. Qualifications don't matter.
But if you need to know; I've been a greenfield prospector for over 18 years and counting.

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not a job interview, I voluntarily answer questions, mind you. Qualifications don't matter.
But if you need to know; I've been a greenfield prospector for over 18 years and counting.

Why so defensive? I was just asking. And of course qualifications matter. Why wouldn't they?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why so defensive? I was just asking. And of course qualifications matter. Why wouldn't they?

I thought to see a certain undertone in your message I didn't like.
Sorry if I misread you, english not being my mother tounge gets me into trouble occasionally.:dontknow:

Why don't they matter? You are right they do. That was a defensive thing I said.

To fill out the specs/qualifications:
I do have several geology courses (university), some mineralogy & gemology. Learned the basics there, the rest is self-taught.
I don't have a formal geologist degree, but have worked briefly as a exploration geologist.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Copper minerals seems likely for example: Chalcopyrite (the golden stuff).
The colorful mineral can be tarnished chalcopyrite or bornite.

The difference between the two is best seen on a freshly broken piece.
Bornite will have a copper-like color for a few seconds before getting the colorful tarnish we see here.

Pyrite can also be in there, a knife will scratch the copper minerals above but not the pyrite. That's how you easily can tell them apart.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spoke with Dustedyou yesterday and he said he was going to try to make some time to come back to the thread. Hope to see him here soon.

Huntress19

Greenie
Feb 15, 2017
Near Fort Bragg, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1140900 Pro-Pointer AT Waterproof Pinpointing Metal Detector, Orange
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Eu_citzen Thank you so much! Sorry I was away for a bit (moving...ugh) so I'm tardy with my thanks...but I'm very grateful for your feedback!!

Huntress19

Greenie
Feb 15, 2017
Near Fort Bragg, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another one...very heavy!

I am fairly certain this one has a lot of pyrite, but curious if this rock has a specific name or if it is just a hunk of combined quartz and pyrite...?? It is way heavier than other rocks I have of similar size so wondered if there was more to it. Not magnetic...if that's even a thing with this type of rock LOL! I hope my question makes sense. Thanks!

thumb_IMG_9676_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_9677_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_9678_1024.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am fairly certain this one has a lot of pyrite, but curious if this rock has a specific name or if it is just a hunk of combined quartz and pyrite...?? It is way heavier than other rocks I have of similar size so wondered if there was more to it. Not magnetic...if that's even a thing with this type of rock LOL! I hope my question makes sense. Thanks!

View attachment 1417470 View attachment 1417471 View attachment 1417472

We can call it Wolfgang if you like. :tongue3: LOL!
No, doesn't have a specific name. The seemingly high weight for its size is due to considerable pyrite.

If you are interested in gold prospecting and the likes, I'd look for the source (the bedrock it came from) and perhaps crush and pan it.

Huntress19

Greenie
Feb 15, 2017
Near Fort Bragg, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL! I'm actually not interested in gold prospecting...which is not to say that I didn't for a hot minute think...GOLD! When I'm outside playing with my grandson...we find cool rocks. :wink: Thank you again!!!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL! I'm actually not interested in gold prospecting...which is not to say that I didn't for a hot minute think...GOLD! When I'm outside playing with my grandson...we find cool rocks. :wink: Thank you again!!!

NC is a good place to be rock hounding. I've seen some decent star rubies coming from there, among many other gems.

If I may do the suggestion, bring your grandson to a known site among rock hounds, if he is into the whole rock thing.
I'm quite certain you'll have a blast! Google "North Carolina rock hounding", perhaps it'll give you a few pointers.

Living on the other side of the Atlantic, I don't know the details of where to look. :coffee2:

Huntress19

Greenie
Feb 15, 2017
Near Fort Bragg, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you again Eu_citzen! He's not quite two years old, so for now we just go into his backyard, or on little walks down his street...but while I can truly say I'm not into gold prospecting...I am totally digging the rock collecting we do and want to actually tumble some of the ones we find! I've recently discovered the healing properties of crystals, and the quartz around here is plentiful - and beautiful!

I am interested in mining though, just not for gold. When I relocated from CA to NC last November, on my drive out here I went diamond mining in Arkansas and didn't find anything while there, but brought a bucket of dirt with me (allowed) and found something interesting...maybe you could have a look at that for me too?? I'm not saying it's a diamond, but I'm fairly certain it isn't quartz or glass hahaha!

And then there are the sand granules here that are so big (and clear and shiny) that I could swear I find diamonds almost daily!:laughing7:

For fun...and since you are such a great sport, I'll get some pics and post them for you. Maybe since you beat down my gold dream, you can boost my spirits with a "you found a diamond" comment?? :hello2: Ironically, I'm heading out for the day to go to my favorite crystal shop but it's a drive so have to get going now. I will get the pics for you tonight.

Thanks again!!!

omgnarly

Greenie
Feb 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are there any places in the raleigh/creedmoor/wakecounty area] where there would be some great stone finds?

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other

I have a degree in Bovine Scatology. I find it useful.

omgnarly

Greenie
Feb 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of Stone did I find- It was in a muddy area just off road- I was searching for garnet but was in the wrong area-

Doesn't seem to streak-

its clear, with may fractures-

maybe from a larger stone I didn't see- IMG_0136.JPG IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0140.JPG IMG_0141.JPG IMG_0142.JPG IMG_0143.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread