goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, i finally figured out why the old stuff is in a place it shouldn't be....it is because the stuff came with the fill! I don't know why the fill is there though. Well, today, I found two very old wheat pennies, 1913 (bent :-\ ) and 1919, (if you know anything about getting tough patina off http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,36502.0.html ), Canadian cent) my third lipstick tub thingy, a Remington pocket watch lid( age?), a pellet gun casing with a "P", a spoon i hit badly with my shovel ( old?), two pieces of a toy car, and clad. I plan to cover the rest of the park throughout the summer, but i don't think I'll find anything more old ( unless that 1800's coffin handle signals another fill place)

What i noticed is that you can tell fill from the rest of the ground by it's brown color.
I will be out tomorrow

HH
-GC

Attachments

• IMG_2911.jpg
    IMG_2911.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 365
Upvote 0

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
You suggest something that I have been curious about. Ever since reading on one of these groups about a woman who found a class ring in her garden and traced it back to the original owner. It seems that the owner never lived in the house and had never been there. I don't recall if she said when or where she had lost her ring though. Anyway, the only answer that one could come to was that it was brought in with some fill.

Now, when I see them develop old plots of land, I wonder about all the stuff that is in the top layer of the soil. One example is a corner of a busy intersection where the land was agricultural land. On the vary corner it was very wooded and overgrown for as long as I can remember. A friend who is up on history in this area said there was the remnants of a homestead back in the thick trees. I never got a chance to get in there as it was so overgrown and there was nowhere to safely park due to the surrounding roadways. Anyway, now they have completely cleared the land for a shopping center. Since last January, maybe, they have cut down all the trees and hauled everything away. They brought in graders and bulldozers and leveled and graded the whole lot. There are huge piles of soil that have been pushed from one area to another and spread here and there. I don't know that anything has been trucked away or brought in. I think it is all top soil that had been relocated from the high spots of the property as they try to shape the land for the parking lots and buildings.

I have seen this with other properties in our area. Large pieces of land that get developed into condos or town houses, shopping centers or corporate office sites. Everything seems to eventually get piled at one end of the property until contruction is near complete. When they get to the landscaping phase, often the remaining soil gets built up as burms or dividers in parking lots. Build up the landscape and back fill around buildings. Then, if there is anything left, I assume it gets taken to dump sites where others can buy it for use around homes or gardens and so forth. Every time I see one of these huge piles or mountains of dirt, I just wonder if anything, and what, might be in there.

We have had our yard changed a few times. Once to stop the flow of water from adjacent lots that was running off and flooding our yard. Our landscapers came in with truckloads of dirt and built a burm along the back fence and planted some trees and bushes. We had our patio rebuilt and all the yard sloped away from the house to eleviate basement flooding. Again, landscapers came in with truckloads of dirt and sand to create the new grades and shape the land. They poured the new pattio and sidewalks. I just wonder now where the soil came from and what MIGHT be in it, underneath the sod, asphalt or concrete. I searched our yard last year and found a few things that made no sense for our area. A 45cal bullet right under the sod. A clean out cap about 8" down in the middle of the back yard and some other assorted construction materials. All our sewers and water run out from the front of the house. There would be no sensable reason for a clean out cap to be in the middle of the back yard. Only thing I can think of is that there was, supposedly, a rose garden in the middle of the yard. Shortly after we moved in ( I was 4) we filled the garden. Perhaps it was in some fill that was used to level and reshape the yard before new sod was laid. 40 years later, I dug it up. Could also be that it was lost from construction of other houses around us and graded under when our lot was prepped for building. Around 1950 in a neighborhood that dates to the 20s and would have been farms before that.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think it was more instinct GC,you can almost smell it.....Congrat's on the find's and hh!!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG.....But that fill they bring in somtimes ,will be full of nice surprises. HH

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, wmas1960, i think your right. Dirt needs to come from somewhere and if it is going to be used in landscaping, it would be a low quality dirt, such as the excess from a constructions area. I MD'ed by a huge sledding hill that seems to be made of gravel. However, by the sledding hill, there is a huge spot of discolored ground and grass. This area produced items that are about a century old, but the park dates back to the 70's. Possibly, the sledding hill could have a small layer of gravel on top of this fill that is filled with antiquites. However, i can't reach these antiques because of the gravel top layer and the deep unclimbable sides.

Basically, the sledding hill seems to be made of this fill, but i can't get at it due to the steep sides and gravel layer. So a message to all MD'ers is: that every park found have this fill and be a fantastic place to MD, also look for discolored ground or places they would need fill (like a sledding hill)

However, there are some things that don't make sense. I found to pieces of a women's belt buckle away from the fill area but still by the sledding hill. The pieces seem to be of the same belt, but how can two pieces be excavated, trucked, and be missed by the bulldozer to separate them. However, I'm missing one piece, so this info can be interpreted differently (however, i wasn't paying attention and the ground could have the same proberties as the fill). Also i found a huge hoe piece that was barely underground and not in the fill site, but still by the sleddind hill. One indisputable fact is that i found a 1800's coffin handle(identified by jeff of pa, thanks) that was found a quite a ways away. Does this mean that there was another house, the fill is actually from the park itself, or is there more fill around the park...with the rest of the coffin.

We know that some of the stuff rode in with the fill, probably, however, the locations and positions of the two woman's belt buckle thing and the distance of the coffin handle from the fill site dispute that all the antiques rode in on a truck.

More MD'ing is needed....

(also, every object mentioned was found only a few inches down, except the belt buckle pieces)

S

southbound

WTG on the coins and relics! Hope to see more where that came from.
Vern

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread