jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may shock some of you here worried about germs in the reusable bags...

But did you know that you can throw the cloth shopping bag in the washing machine?

yes but they are talking about giving them to poor people.

How many real "poor" own a Washer ?
I don't & I don't consider myself "poor"

& how often do "poor" people go to the Laundry , as compared to getting
Groceries ?

How many people are Germaphobes ? not many, which means most
wouldn't even think about washing a grocery bag untill a serious illness
to them or theirs is blamed on their grocery bag.
me included, even though I brought it up :tongue3:

Last edited:

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You folks better do a much better job shopping if you are buying stuff that's leaking all over the place. Hopefully your returning or throwing away that food as there is a high likelihood of contamination or spoilage.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You folks better do a much better job shopping if you are buying stuff that's leaking all over the place. Hopefully your returning or throwing away that food as there is a high likelihood of contamination or spoilage.

I've had Liver & beef blood leakage into my Groceries on occasion.
I don't buy fresh fish or poultry so no leakage there.
normally everything gets frozen or refrigerated here, & I live alone,
and am not a germaphobe, So I believe I am personally immune,
to anything I cannot see with the naked eye.

but people who who try to live sterile lives , usually get bit :laughing7:

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I remember in the late 80s, early 90s, when the environuts forced us to switch to plastic bags.

They wanted to save the trees. (Not really giving any forethought to the ultimate outcome, as usual) What I find fascinating is that paper is making a return. Could it be that they've finally agreed to accept that trees are a renewable resource? Yeah, they really do grow back! Quickly, too. We have poplar groves that generate tall usuable trees within just a couple years.

I use the bags as garbage liners, too, and there is a volunteer group, fb page "Salem Sleeping Bag Project" that collects the bags and crochets thick, durable roll-up sleeping mats for the needy. Another woman I know crochets them into market handbags.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/art...ing-Bag-Project-sewing-comfort?nclick_check=1

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If everyone was as sensible as you guys are, this conversation would not be happening.

Screen Shot 2013-03-02 at 2.27.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-02 at 2.27.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-02 at 2.28.45 PM.png

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya know there are so many different types of bags there,
I wonder if there was a call went out to give them bags for a photo opportunity
against plastic bags.

or a plastic bag recycle dumpster hit by high winds

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Karen you saw it too :laughing7:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Google it, or look out the car window when driving.

If you think there is no point in developed nations stopping the use of disposable plastic bags because the worlds developing nations will never follow, check out the following list:

Key: OB= Outright ban.

Germany South Africa, (OB) Italy, (OB 2010) Australia, (OB in supermarkets 2008) India, (OB in area's including Mumbai) Somalia, (OB) Botswana, (OB) Philippines, (OB, coming soon) Uganda, (OB) Kenya, (OB) Japan Turkey Zanzibar, (OB) Eritrea, (OB) Ethiopia, (OB) Papua New Guinea, (OB) Samoa, (OB) Belgium, (Levy) South Korea Singapore Sweden Bhutan, (OB) Malta China

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand everyone's concern and I am about as conservative as anyone can be, but the amount of pollution that occurs with plastics is simply unbelievable and needs to be dealt with.. This just goes right back to my personal philosophy that the human species is simply a virus and no matter how much we may try, we will devour and ruin every piece of our natural world...

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I understand everyone's concern and I am about as conservative as anyone can be, but the amount of pollution that occurs with plastics is simply unbelievable and needs to be dealt with.. This just goes right back to my personal philosophy that the human species is simply a virus and no matter how much we may try, we will devour and ruin every piece of our natural world...

That sounds nihilistic.

I prefer to believe that people have not been taught by their elders that they are to be good stewards of the land they have been given, that they have not been trained to thinks things through, considering the consequences of poor character and behavior.... another symptom of the breakdown of society....the belief that someone or something else will solve the problem....or simply not giving it a thought.

For the record, I have always hated plastic bags on many levels.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be honest I burn alot of mine along with a ton of other plastics. I live in a rural are that does not have trash pick up let alone recycling. I burn all of my garbage. As for plastic bags I collect them and save them for trash bags and recycle alot that I dont use. Just bring them to Walmart they have a big box in the entray area. I can only use so many bags in a year for trash.

Also paper bags are so much better for the planet than plastic.

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will be honest I burn alot of mine along with a ton of other plastics. I live in a rural are that does not have trash pick up let alone recycling. I burn all of my garbage. As for plastic bags I collect them and save them for trash bags and recycle alot that I dont use. Just bring them to Walmart they have a big box in the entray area. I can only use so many bags in a year for trash.

Also paper bags are so much better for the planet than plastic.

All of my county's garbage goes to an incinerator, then the ash goes to a landfill, so the local govt burns the plastic. :-)

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
All of my county's garbage goes to an incinerator, then the ash goes to a landfill, so the local govt burns the plastic. :-)

Same practice here...

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Dano you claim to have a sense of Humor,
& you don't hit report to Moderator.

So I for one figure you can take it as well as you hand it out,
So I can only surmise your joking here 8-)

If i didn't have a sense of humour Jeff i wouldn't have said it how i did! I hit report to mod' twice,....both threads got deleted, but doubt the insulter got any warnings so decided not to have peoples threads wiped by reporting others.
Told you in private that i can take anything anyone can throw, but when i have a mailbox full of warnings for much less than the insults thrown at me while they get nothing, then it gets a bit tiresome!

You posted here so i replied here. Hope it's seen that way.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i didn't have a sense of humour Jeff i wouldn't have said it how i did! I hit report to mod' twice,....both threads got deleted, but doubt the insulter got any warnings so decided not to have peoples threads wiped by reporting others.
Told you in private that i can take anything anyone can throw, but when i have a mailbox full of warnings for much less than the insults thrown at me while they get nothing, then it gets a bit tiresome!

You posted here so i replied here. Hope it's seen that way.

in most cases I believe the fact I deleted the post is warning enough.
so IF I deleted that was probably the extent of what happened.
if they post the same thing a second time, again, I would delete
and let it at that. a 3rd. time, I would Warn, figuring they are too thick
like me :laughing7:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Understood. Wish it was the same in my cases. No matter. And..not deleting posts Jeff...whole threads! So they arn't able to post it again to show how thick they are! :tongue3:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm actually seeing a business opportunity here....... I'll get back to ya'll on that. :laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I can say with total accuracy a plastic bag left in the sun breaks down very quickly. It does not take the hundreds of years some would have you believe.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can always print more "Please Don't litter" In 20 different languages. Might create more jobs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread